Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:53 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype

Just thought I would post something I am working on.........

I was wondering if anyone has a door speaker enclosure? I made an attempt using 3D software and my stereolithography machine (3D printer). Here are a few pics ...........

This enclosure was designed to insert through the front of the existing door hole and mount using the existing bolt holes for ease in installation.....the limitation of the hole size and the window when it is rolled down made this enclosure too small......not enough volume .........the midbass was much less noticeable after the install.........in fact i removed the enclosure and am back at the drawing board.

i have another idea, a 2 piece enclosure that will be larger in volume but the access panel must be removed for installation......it will take a few weeks to model this new idea

Attached Thumbnails Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02330.jpg   Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02335.jpg   Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02337.jpg  
Old 05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very impressive, just the 3d printer by itself amazes me. I’ll be replacing my fronts with Kappa Perfects in the coming months.

Keep up the good work.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
was wondering if enclosures had to be symetrically dome in shape, if not, couldn't you shape the dome sideways or anyshape for that matter to maximize volume and not run into window? just wondering. took physics1 and 2 and quantum but not sure, do you? RX

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback speed

RX......the 2 piece idea should take advantage of this idea......a larger enclosure inside coupled to the same flange outside that you can see in my pics......but the larger inside enclosure wont fit through the existing hole and will have to be installed through the access panel........and i still have to figure out how to couple them together

Old 05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
A good spacer would be excellent!! I have some generic plastic ones that need replacing.The holes don't line up well and the doors sound better before I reinstall the panels because the spacer does not bring the speaker flush to the panel. Also they are not very solid as yours look to be.

I am watching this thread.....

Mark

Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Whoa. Thats hot.

Any idea if this will fit/clear the door in the sedans? I am interested...

Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Awesome toys you have access to. What material is the enclosure made of? I would kill to have one of those 3D printers and make my own mods.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I am using a MDF spacer now.....but the speaker is open to the door cavity...stills sounds good, but looking to increase the mid bass PUNCH!

I dont have access to a sedan .....maybe i can get some help at our next meet?

the white model material is the same stuff you use in your weedwacker! ABS plastic.....the 3d printer just has a much bigger spool ..........ABS parts can be sanded, milled, drilled, tapped, painted and even electro-plated.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I also did the rear deck speakers...........I have 6.5" Infinity components installed from the inside of the car using an MDF spacer........these enclosures are made to attached to that MDF ring from the trunk side with wood screws.....this way I was able to get a larger volume enclosure because I didnt have to install it through the hole from the inside........I made the outside dimensions so they would still slip into the existing holes in the trunk panel but not extend too far down in the trunk so i didnt loose too much space. the plan is too carpet the outside and they will look stock.......there is some improvment here more mid bass punch, but not enough......i am now thinking of making an enclosure for the rear seats (maybe i can make it bigger) and try the 6.5" speaker there .........

Attached Thumbnails Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02150.jpg   Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02121.jpg   Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02186.jpg   Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype-dsc02187.jpg  
Old 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM
selfish response , stay working on the fronts please , this will be a must have!!!

Mark

Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
shooter, please let me know when you have figured something out......I have the DA Hex's up front also Im looking to get some more midbass from them also

Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 PM
now that i'm looking closely at the pics those rossovers are not the DA Hex's are those infinity components?

Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
impressive....if this product is out a month earlier it would save me 6 hours of drilling time

Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
hey shooter, please update me regarding the fr4ont enclosures. Are you willing to sell a couple? do they actually sound better than without an enclosure? i'm currently using top of the line JBL's and sound very good however there is little to no bass response in them not to mention air leaks as the site is not very fluch due to the factory way they did it. please let meknow thanks RX

Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Nismocoupe........yep Infinity Components 6.5"

The front door enclosure does not produce more mid bass.........it is too small. I designed this enclosure to fit into the existing bose speaker hole and not hit the window when rolled down. Unfortunately there is not enough room to get a large enough enclosure to add any benefit.

I am now working on making a bigger enclosure for the front doors........my next design will be 2 pieces.......the first half will be much bigger and install through the access panel (the panel you remove to get at the window motor)......and a second half will be the flange on the outside of the door where the speaker will mount.......i just have to figure a bunch of stuff first! How big? What shape? How to connect the 2 halves? Thicknesses? etc etc Then model the design and print the model, then of course testing..........dont hold your breath guys........i am traveling next week and will work on this off and on....but i will post my progress

I am glad there is some interest in this..........I love good quality sound and tweaking my system is just 1 more mod for my G

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Enclosure Prototype