Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Coaxial, 2-way speakers in the front too?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005 | 04:16 PM
|
Coaxial, 2-way speakers in the front too?

Ok,

I am not an audiophile or expert on audio systems. I appologize for my ignorance up-front. (this must be done often on many topics....)

Anyway. I was thinking, why not replace the front door panel woofers with a coaxial 2-way pair (woofers and tweeters) to add to the highs and mids? Why bother removing the stock tweeters and replacing them?

Would this cause problems?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-16-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2005 | 05:08 PM
your highs would be by your feet bringing the sound stage lower. highs on the A pillar bring the sound up. but everyone has their own preference on how they want things to sound. ideally i would want to mount some tweeters up in the dash under the windshield.

Old 05-16-2005 | 05:37 PM
If you're already planning to change out the woofer, might as well install new tweeters since the door panel is already off. The tweeter covers just snaps off and there's 2 scews that holds the tweeter in place.

Old 05-17-2005 | 05:04 PM
|
Originally Posted by Espresso
If you're already planning to change out the woofer, might as well install new tweeters since the door panel is already off. The tweeter covers just snaps off and there's 2 scews that holds the tweeter in place.
Yeah, but if I am adding 2-ways I will be adding additional tweeters basically.

The shop asked me if the restrictor was at the speaker or in the AMP for the front woofers. Obviously, that would make a big difference.

The 2 ways are cheaper and I would get "extra highs" (not extra high, that requires something else).

I guess the highs would sound lower but that would be offset by the stock tweeters staying on. Does the 2 v 4 ohm thing matter if you add 2-ways instead of a component woofer?

I was looking at JL's and Boston Accustics.

Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:30 PM
The issue is one of "separation" and "imaging". That is the reason components are favored (based on my limited reading of "audiophile" discussions/articles).

My understanding is also that many coaxials make compromises in exchange for being compact.

Hearing crisp notes coming from distinct locations can have a dramatic effect...

The 4 ohm speakers will produce less volume than the 2 ohm so you need some way to adjust the gain (fader works fine for this).