Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Mod: Fitting a Single Din system into an 03 G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We REALLY need this sticky Double DIN FAQ fellas.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, yeah we do! grow some pubes on your nutz and just make one! LOL
we'll support you 100%!

Old 06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by anish3232
Why do you have to buy a new A/C controller unit. Cant you just use the one that came with the car.
This why...unless you are great at cutting IC boards...

We REALLY need this sticky Double DIN FAQ fellas
...Nah...how else I gonna rack up my post counts...

Attached Thumbnails Mod: Fitting a Single Din system into an 03 G35 Sedan-stock-ac-rear.jpg   Mod: Fitting a Single Din system into an 03 G35 Sedan-stock-ac-control.jpg  
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
what type of **** *** is that? it looks hot...

Old 06-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sillief00l
Another totally different way of doing this is the way I did it.
I installed the same headunit as you, and kept the stock headunit as an auxillary source.
Where'd the hazard button go?

Old 06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by limeg35
This why...unless you are great at cutting IC boards..
wait what do you mean? the original doenst fit in the double din kit? or what? sorry if your annoyed, b/c i asking you to further explain that...

Old 06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by rrpnow
wait what do you mean? the original doenst fit in the double din kit? or what? sorry if your annoyed, b/c i asking you to further explain that...
AC and stereo controls are on the same circuit board. You cannot just cut the ac controls from the circuit board. Do a double din search for all the details. There is a lot of info on the forum.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Here's where my hazard button went. I replaced the cigarette lighter that I never use. I have a friend who works at a metal shop, so he helped me make an aluminum ring trim that fits perfectly.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by rrpnow
Since you cant cut it, it will be in the way of the opening for the new deck, and old dash peice wont fit around the new deck either...althought someone did dremal it to fit...

Attached Thumbnails Mod: Fitting a Single Din system into an 03 G35 Sedan-single-din-ssize.jpg  

Last edited by limeg35; 06-14-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Seems to me a better solution is to get a double-din size head unit. That way, there's no pop up screen to block your heater/ac controls. There are some great double din head units to choose from as well.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Sillie,
Do you mind letting us know where you got that conversion kit from? When you get a chance check your PM.
Thank you and the setup with the NAV and the indash tv look $weet!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 AM
It got to be custom made...

Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Yep..I am sure it is, but damn it looks sweet! I want one!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Please call me Lew.

The 'sillief00l' handle is a name my ex-gf made for me that I have been too lazy to correct.

Thanks for all the compliments!

In any case, the lower console piece was custom made. I did practically all the work on my car by myself, but had help fabricating this custom console piece. If you go to my website, you can find the info on it.

http://www.aeterna.us/aeterna/home.htm

Basically, an awesome guy named Billy at UltraSounds in Nassau, Long Island fabricated the piece for me. We took careful measurements, and the fitment is perfect. The only issue with the piece is its color, as it is slightly a different color than the G35's OEM titanium dash. This is as close as we could get it to match. If any of you are in the NYC / Long Island Area, i can introduce you to him.

His work and scheduling was awesome. I only stayed at his shop about 2 hours or so to get all the measurements done. My car didn't have to stay over at his shop even one night! The custom console piece took about a week to finish.

For those of you who are not in the area, and SERIOUSLY interested in this, I can talk with Billy. I know he is willing to make more pieces, and perhaps we can ship the pieces out to anyone who is interested.

Last edited by sillief00l; 06-16-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Since some people have asked about fitment, I will elaborate in this reply.

As far as fitment is concerned, there is a TON of room to work with behind the lower center console provided to do two things:

1) There is one vent piece behind the lower center console area. I had to remove this piece to make sure I had enough depth clearance for my single DIN unit and its wires. Removal of this piece was fairly easy. I just wedged and pulled out the piece from the passenger's side footwell after peeling back the carpet. To tell you the truth, this piece doesn't do much in the coupe. In the sedan, this vent piece is responsible for routing the air to a vent below teh driver's seat so that the passenger who sits in back of teh driver has heating. If you coupe owners look under yoru driver's seat, you'll find that there isn't even a vent there! I can take a picture of the removed vent and post it online if you like.

2) After removing the OEM lower center console piece, there will be a small black plastic bridge linking the left and right sides of the center console column. This black plastic bridge runs horizontally across, just below the OEM stereo. I assume it is there to reduce the flexibility of the center console column. In order to fit in a single DIN unit, you need to cut out about an inch of this black plastic and remove it. You do not need to cut out the entire black plastic bridge, but only enough to fit the single DIN unit inside. This cutting process is pretty easy. I just used a small jigsaw. I can take a picture of the removed cutout and post it online if you like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mod: Fitting a Single Din system into an 03 G35 Sedan