Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sub box and other stereo questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:05 AM
JJH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub box and other stereo questions

Hi guys, i'm leasing my car within the next two weeks. It will not have the Bose sound, and I have all my stereo equipment from my old car. Question is, what are my options for a subwoofer box? I have the old school elemental designs e10K, which is optimum in a .5 cu/ft box, so i'd like to get a box with similar volume. I also have my old 4 channel amp. Will the sound from a LOC be OK without replacing the factory radio? How is the sound/power from the factory radio? The same weekend I get the car is the weekend the system gets installed. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its single 10? go with 4080's box, just pm him for info , if you want two 10s? try here.....mlg's sub box, but its bit small (.80cuft total)...it will sound "ok" but just ok from stock HU

Attached Thumbnails Sub box and other stereo questions-4080-box112.jpg   Sub box and other stereo questions-4080-sub-box123.jpg   Sub box and other stereo questions-2-10s.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by JJH
Hi guys, i'm leasing my car within the next two weeks. It will not have the Bose sound, and I have all my stereo equipment from my old car. Question is, what are my options for a subwoofer box? I have the old school elemental designs e10K, which is optimum in a .5 cu/ft box, so i'd like to get a box with similar volume. I also have my old 4 channel amp. Will the sound from a LOC be OK without replacing the factory radio? How is the sound/power from the factory radio? The same weekend I get the car is the weekend the system gets installed. Thanks for the help.
I'm happy with my 4080 box...you don't really have to drill or cut in to anything to install it and it's a perfect fit! I have an elemental designs 11Ov.2 sub that lists an optimal air space of .5 cu/ft also, but it sounds great in the 4080 box which I believe has an airspace of .89 cu/ft.

I think you should consider swapping out the stock speakers for the most noticeable improvement in sound...I originally just swapped out the stock speakers and it was like night and day. Also, check out Circuit City or Best Buy since I've noticed they've been promoting the fact that they can do aftermarket stereo stuff to leased vehicles and switch it back to stock for free when the lease is up.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it.
Thomas

Old 06-17-2005, 09:25 AM
JJH
I'm going to do the installation myself. What size are the stock speakers? Did you get speakers with lower power ratings to run them off your stock h/u, or did you change your h/u as well? I really want to keep the stock appearance and not have to swap in a new h/u (this might change, depending on how the stereo sounds).

BTW, its a single 10", but sounds incredible. The ED really is one of the top subs out there. It is extremely accurate. I prefer SQ, but it has a good amount of SPL also.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by JJH
I'm going to do the installation myself. What size are the stock speakers? Did you get speakers with lower power ratings to run them off your stock h/u, or did you change your h/u as well? I really want to keep the stock appearance and not have to swap in a new h/u (this might change, depending on how the stereo sounds).

BTW, its a single 10", but sounds incredible. The ED really is one of the top subs out there. It is extremely accurate. I prefer SQ, but it has a good amount of SPL also.
The front speakers for the sedan are 6.5", not sure about the depth but I think I remember reading it's somewhere around the 2.3" to 2.5" range?. You can also buy spacers at most stereo places....

I think my Diamond Audio Hex's are rated at 150W RMS...every review I read about these speakers said they like lots of power to really make them shine, and those reviewers were right. But again, they were a vast improvement over the stock speakers even w/o an amp.

I also kept my stock head unit...I like the look of stock too. After adding the amps and upgrading speakers, I don't feel I need to swap out the stock head unit.

Thomas

Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
JJH
How did you connect the signal to the amp, through a LOC, or through the high/low level inputs?

Old 06-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by JJH
How did you connect the signal to the amp, through a LOC, or through the high/low level inputs?
The installer used LOCs (one for the speakers in the cabin, one for the sub). Check out http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm.

Oh, I forgot to mention...I think some amps don't require LOCs, like I think Eclipse amps and the JL Audio Slash series amps, but double check with your own specific amp.

Thomas

Last edited by tomheo; 06-19-2005 at 12:38 PM.