Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-N2 possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N2 and add-ons possible?

Alright folks,

I am a newbie and I just bought my 2005 G35 Coupe (Automatic) a few days ago. I have read most of the threads and I have concluded aftermarket Nav is not easy with the G35 to put it lightly.

I am about to work with a custom video and audio expert (an acquaintence of mine) to help create a plan of attack. (I am not qualified to even look at wires, more or less touch them.)

My goal from the beginning was to move the AC controls to the bottom and install the Pioneer AVIC-N2 with the works (rear-view camera, NavTraffic, ipod, TV, DVD changer, etc.) where the AC controls currently sit. From my understanding, this isn't feasible due to the AC controls and stock stereo connected on the same motherboard, is this correct?

I saw the AVIC-N1 from a previous thread which is nice. I also saw the AVIC-N2 thread as well. However, I am not sure I completely understood whether
it is possible to anyone's knowledge to be able to install the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and its nice additions in my car cleanly?

Sincerely,
Superignorant Newbie Smaq

Last edited by smaq; 06-24-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had read most of the threads? then you should know its just impossible to do it without D/D kit. to put new HU where the AC controll is at right now? there isnt enough room behind it and you have to make new dash peice to make it fit...NEED an D/D kit...please just order one, it will save you much headack and money...by the way the AC and radio controller is about 10 inchs long and YES its one peice!

Old 06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by limeg35
If you had read most of the threads? then you should know its just impossible to do it without D/D kit. to put new HU where the AC controll is at right now? there isnt enough room behind it and you have to make new dash peice to make it fit...NEED an D/D kit...please just order one, it will save you much headack and money...by the way the AC and radio controller is about 10 inchs long and YES its one peice!
Thank you for your feedback.

I am already planning on moving forward with the DD kit.

My last question was more geared towards whether it is feasible (technical difficulties? space?) to have all the add-ons such as the XM, rear-view camera, ipod adapter, and TV antenna as well. You brought up a point about not enough room to move the AC controls and the HU above. I will have to put the DVD changer in the trunk I am assuming which is fine.

If anyone has installed the N2 with add-ons, I would love to see a pic or two.

Most of the threads I have read are the D1 and N1.

Thanks again! This forum rocks.

Last edited by smaq; 06-24-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
You mean something like this?
http://www.nairod.com/G35MODS/page4.html

Old 06-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by smaq
Thank you for your feedback.

I am already planning on moving forward with the DD kit.

My last question was more geared towards whether it is feasible (technical difficulties? space?) to have all the add-ons such as the XM, rear-view camera, ipod adapter, and TV antenna as well. You brought up a point about not enough room to move the AC controls and the HU above. I will have to put the DVD changer in the trunk I am assuming which is fine.

If anyone has installed the N2 with add-ons, I would love to see a pic or two.

Most of the threads I have read are the D1 and N1.

Thanks again! This forum rocks.
Technologically D1 is the same as N2, and space wise N1 is the same size as N2.

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 06-25-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
D1 is not the same as a N2.
Thats where people are mistaken.
D1 is just a Nav, Tuner, CD Player.
Even though it has a dvd drive that drive only supports the Pioneer Nav Disks.
If you want to play DVD movies you would have to get an external DVD player(Drive)
N2 supports all of the above including DVD movies.
Read the Specs and detailed descriptions carefully on the D1.
N1 and N2 are the same just that N2 is newer and supports real-time Traffic reports as far as GPS goes.
N1 i believe also supports this feature with a expansion box.
N2 will not play DVD's while in motion.
Where as the N1 all you have to do is Ground the Emergency Brake line(On the Radio).

Last edited by Glex25; 06-24-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Glex25
D1 is not the same as a N2.
Thats where people are mistaken.
D1 is just a Nav, Tuner, CD Player.
Even though it has a dvd drive that drive only supports the Pioneer Nav Disks.
If you want to play DVD movies you would have to get an external DVD player(Drive)
N2 supports all of the above including DVD movies.
Read the Specs and detailed descriptions carefully on the D1.
N1 and N2 are the same just that N2 is newer and supports real-time Traffic reports as far as GPS goes.
N1 i believe also supports this feature with a expansion box.
N2 will not play DVD's while in motion.
Where as the N1 all you have to do is Ground the Emergency Brake line(On the Radio).
Are you sure that there are no way you can do it? the real-time traffic is great but you have to have XM or Sirius to get it, which means you have to pay for it!...I am sure that BlackonBlackG35 knows the diffrerence between the two

Old 06-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Administrator
I have sirius on my N1.
Only XM offer real nav-traffic as of now.
havent heard if sirius is planning anything on that yet.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 AM
I was referring to technological and space aspects that would affect the difficulty/ability to install the unit.

N1 does not support NavTraffic and the screen on the N1 is garbage compared to N2/D1

The N2 can play dvd's but it is VERY difficult. This unit uses the gyro from the navigation to determine whether the car is is motion.

You can first re-route the output video back into the rear-view cam input. This will reduce the size and quality of the picture though.

You can take apart the unit and unsolder a jumper between gyro and the circuit board, best way except it will void your warranty...

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 06-29-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Administrator
ok as far as i knew the only way to disable it is to have the service manual so the n2 can play dvd's while in motion.

I have had the N1 since it first came out and doubt i would drop another $2k just for minor upgrades.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:31 PM
is xm traffic even worth it?

Old 06-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by rrpnow
is xm traffic even worth it?
If you live in Southern California and drive an hour to work each way...yes. Also, I want the XM satellite radio subscription and it is only around 3-4 dollars extra a month.

I appreciate all the feedback by the way.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have the camera, XM, and nav. I will definitely update my post when I find out more. Hopefully, I'll be able to post pictures (because that assumes it works out and I can afford the labor costs )

Old 06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
do you or anyone know how offten XM update the traffic? its like every couple of minutes or hourly? would it give you enough of warnning to avoid it, I mean if you are 4~5 miles away from the trouble spot, how much would that have helped?

Old 06-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by smaq
If you live in Southern California and drive an hour to work each way...yes. Also, I want the XM satellite radio subscription and it is only around 3-4 dollars extra a month.

I appreciate all the feedback by the way.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have the camera, XM, and nav. I will definitely update my post when I find out more. Hopefully, I'll be able to post pictures (because that assumes it works out and I can afford the labor costs )
The NavTraffic+XM radio tuner is also double the price of the XM radio tuner....

Old 06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by limeg35
do you or anyone know how offten XM update the traffic? its like every couple of minutes or hourly? would it give you enough of warnning to avoid it, I mean if you are 4~5 miles away from the trouble spot, how much would that have helped?
Here is the official website for it:

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/about.jsp

Supposedly it is real-time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N2 possible?