Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Wheelz Screen (or other touchscreen) Clarity in sunlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Wheelz Screen (or other touchscreen) Clarity in sunlight

For the people that have the Digital Wheelz screen setup, how do you like it? I've read his reviews that the Xenarc screen is the best as far as nits go, but when you go to his website and look at the main picture, you can barely even tell what the screen is because it is so whitewashed by the sunlight. I realize that the sun is going to fade the screen out some, and that's why I don't use my laptop outside. What I'm wondering is if it is so bad that you can barely tell what's going on (like in the picture on the DigitalWheelz website), or is that just a bad picture that only represents what it will look like 5% of the time?

I'm really interested in getting the Digital Wheelz setup because I want to play my gobs and gobs of MP3s, but if possible I'd like to not have to change out the Stock HU, as then the car starts saying "Break into me!".

Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is just a bad picture and the white wash there is more due to the camera then the sunlight, however, you will get quite a bit of glare on sunny days from the touchscreen based setups. Its still usually readable though if you have your sunroof closed and are looking at something with decent contrast. The non-touchscreens are quite a bit better as most of your glare comes from the touchscreen overlay.

Your not going to find anything better in aftermarket headunits in terms of screen quality and brightness though. Your going to have to deal with the sunlight regardless of what you go with. There is certainly room for improvement, but I have yet to see a screen in any head unit that will perform much better then a xenarc in sunlight. The xenarc screens are specifically made for use in vehicles and are twice as bright as your average laptop screen.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the touchscreen which reduces brightness 25%.

In very bright sunlight the screen is barely viewable mostly because i have the light willow interior and the reflection off the seats is very bright. If put a black jacket over the passenger seat, then even on very bright days, I can read the screen clearly though it might still be washed out. I also have only light tint on my windows.

On a cloudy day or at dusk there is no problem at all. At night, it is quite bright - I often turn it down or activate a screen saver.

Overall I have been quite happy with it. The screen display is SHARP! And on most bright days, even if I can't cover up the passenger seat, I can just shade the screen with my hand to read something (at a stoplight of course)!

Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
get darker tint....

Old 03-02-2008, 03:36 AM
digital wheelz

first of all that website doesn't work it give like an error message and i've gone for it like every day so its not my computer its the website...second of all i really wanna kno about this iteam if someone can tell me more about it...it would really mean alot im looking into buying it

Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
they discontinued it for the later g's... the guys at mp3car are idiots and didnt tell me it was discontinued.. 2 months later i call them and they finally tell me... then one shows up at my house after i already bought my double din unit. And they tried to charge me a restocking fee?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by jon.cole
they discontinued it for the later g's... the guys at mp3car are idiots and didnt tell me it was discontinued.. 2 months later i call them and they finally tell me... then one shows up at my house after i already bought my double din unit. And they tried to charge me a restocking fee?

dang man i would be soo pist...idk wat to do now then im tryin to find a screen that fits into the place but i also want it to come up by a push of a botton im welling to pay the money long as its done clean and the way i want it

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
thats the key word "money" you can fit the xenarc screen in stock navi location cubby box you just need to buy the housing... it is going to take a lot of modification though