Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

help, my boston acoustic mids rattle at high volume!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help, my boston acoustic mids rattle at high volume!

i have boston acoustic pro series 6.5 mids and tweets components for my fronts for the past couple years, with an alpine cda-9833 headunit, everything been fine...

until a couple days ago, i noticed that the mids from both the driver side and the passenger side rattles when i play it loud... this never happen before... the weird thing about it is that it happened to both sides at the same time... so im thinkin, it cant be that my speaker blown... i thought something got loose inside my door panels, so i took apart one of my doors today, and look to see if the crossover was loose or anything, and everything was solid... i took the mid out of the door panel and held it in my hand and played a song at loud volume and there you know it, it was the speaker... does this mean my speaker has blown or is defective? i mean it plays fine at normal listening volumes. This only happens when i play it loud... like i said this never happened before. I'm not sure if my speakers are both blown, my headunit is messed up, or my amps... I have jl 300/4 pushing my components and jl 500/1 for my sub... if that makes a difference. If anyone knows what might be wrong, please help me out...

Another thing is when i took out the mid speaker, i saw some water coming out from it, i was like WTF???? dont know if that has anthing to do with it also.... sigh... the shop i took it to did a horrible job of installing it, they used a glue gun to glue the crossover box to the styrofoam inside the door panel, i just spent like hours trying to get it off... geez. please tell me if my speakers are ok.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done all of my pass installation, I would never let the store do anything to my car

A little bit of water in the speakers are okay. They are designed for such cases. However, investigate where the water is coming from and see if you can stop it. You should let the speaker drive off and test them again, maybe the water has that effect on it.

Another reason that your speakers rattle can just be cause you are playing them louder than before (probably)... So just cross the midrange over a bit higher, and see if that helps. Also which alpine headunit do you have? You can try to EQ it and see if you can get the rattling to stop.

David

Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the alpine cda-9833... hrmmmm, seems like some of the x-over settings on my alpine doesnt have an effect, not sure if its because im using the passive xovers that came with my components? i have jl 300/4 and 500/1, do i need to turn the freq filter off, so that the amp gives all my speakers the full range, so that way imable to adjust thru my headunit?