Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sat Radio Problem Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 01:32 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sat Radio Problem Question

Has anyone that has installed SAT radio in their coupe had any problems with it?

Every once in a while Mine goes completly out and when I push the SAT button it says No SAT like it did before I installed it. To fix it I have to take apart the trunk and unplug the tuner, wait a sec, and plug it back in. After that it works fine.

I called Infiniti Parts USA and they told me to mount the antenna outside the car cause that might be the problem (of course they specifically told me I could mound it inside the car when I ordered it). Personally I dont see how the SAT signal being weak would make me have to reset the unit by unpluging it. Anybody else have the install with the antenna inside having problems?

Infiniti Parts USA did say that they would replace the unit if it continues to give me problems which is fine. Just wondering if anyone has some more knowledge on this SAT stuff.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sat Radio Problem Question

Installed SAT/XM myself in the G35c several weeks ago. My first antenna placement was on the rear trunk, about six inches from the rear window. There, I had a few signal dropouts. I subsequently moved it (TERK XM3) inside and placed it within the rear brake light housing. Did place a plate of metal beneath it to establish a ground plane. It really can't be seen at all in this location, but am getting a lot more dropouts. The engineers want the antenna in the middle of your roof, but IMHO the darn things are ugly as sin, and I'm not about to place a ugly wart on roof top of that beautiful coupe.
I have no accounting for the second problem. This is where there is a complete loss of all signals for 30 -45 minutes. When you call XM they have no record of systems being down. I don't know what is causing this situation. I do know that antenna placement is causing my signal dropouts. May move it back to where it was and paint it Carribean Blue.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

65438-PICT0145M.jpg

Old 06-20-2003, 12:54 AM

Sorry to hear that but you are not alone...

I have the same problem, Sat works perfectly with occasional drop outs if I do into a parking structure, then sometimes it just goes out all together and stays gone until I turn the ignition off then on.

There is at least one other person that I know of with the same problem. Mine has improved recently, last failure was last Friday. One change I made was to ground the radio much better. But even so the radio still failed even with the better grounding so the reduced frequency of failure could be a coincidence.

Who installed yours? How exactly is the radio mounted?

Old 06-20-2003, 06:18 AM

Mine works fine. Antenna mounted under 3ed brake lite. I do get a few drop outs, but nothing major.

As for having to un plug the XM receiver (or turn off ignition) you have a problem. Sounds like the XM box is locking up. Been in the audio industry 25+ years. I would say that if you are experiencing those types of problems, it is NOT your antenna (or placement) it is your XM receiver. Go get a new one and don't let the dealer give you any BS about it.

BillR

Old 06-20-2003, 09:48 AM

I've already had my first XM unit replaced, second one still locks up (not talking dropouts, requires car to be restarted). This seems to be a very common problem, I think most are seeing this issue, albeit it can take a week or more to have it happen..

Clarion/ICA is being contacted on this issue, we're in good hands... hopefully we'll have some more info soon.

Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 AM

When my XM unit arrived for me to install, I was really sorry to see that it was manufactured by Clarion rather than some other better quality manufacturer. Also, IMHO their corporate policy of refusing to talk to endusers really sucks. I have been told by them upon several occasions that they will respond to questions from dealers only. I really question as to whether we are "in good hands." perhaps AllState, but not Clarion!

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

65975-G35c At GGNRA Thumb.jpg

Old 06-21-2003, 10:31 AM
G SQUAD

Interesting. I thought I was gonna be one of the only ones. I didn't think that the antenna would have anything to do with the uit locking up, that just would'nt make sence. I plan on keeping it on the rear deck cause those things are ugly as sin and I dont mind the occisonal signal loss. Guess we'll see how long it take to go out again befor I get a new unit.

Old 06-21-2003, 10:42 AM

Sirius it is! Thanks! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 6/03

Old 06-21-2003, 12:08 PM
G SQUAD

LoL sorry to say man But I have Sirrius. I do like it alot though. I dont think it has anything to do with the service carrier but rather the hardware itself.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That it is made by Clarion doesn't surprise me.. as the head unit for our stereo is also a Clarion product (even with the Bose).

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 01-07-2004, 01:36 AM

I've started experiencing my XM radio "locking-up" weekly, requiring my car to be restarted for it to work ?? Any resolution to this ??

Old 01-08-2004, 04:25 AM

bump.
i guess i'am the only one still with this problem

Old 01-08-2004, 04:20 PM

Mine is just above the rear windshield in the center. It's the sleek design from Sirius. Looks neat and I never get dropouts.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

166804-sat.jpg

Old 01-08-2004, 06:17 PM

I replaced the child seat safety anchor with my antenna on my rear deck next to the 3rd light. Had for about two weeks with absolutely no drops even in the garage. Keeping the antenna inside the car doesn't mess up the beautiful lines on our G.

2003 Black Coupe
Premium Package, Aero package, 35% Tint

Old 01-08-2004, 08:59 PM

niko, i have the same problem. it looks like others have experienced this problem. it only seems to happen when it can't pick up a signal initially.

i thought it was normal, but it seems like others have contacted infiniti regarding this issue. have you tried?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio Problem Question