Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

04 owners: Several Audio Questions. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 owners: Several Audio Questions. Please Help.

First of all, let me apologize if this question has been answered numerous times in other posts. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in the search feature.

Down to business:

Car in questions is an '04 sedan with Bose (d'oh!)

1. I'm assuming it's a fairly labor/cost intensive job to modify the stock head unit on an '04? Please advise.

2. I've gotten several different opinions on how I might add an amp and sub to my existing bose system. The first of which being to get a JL audio amp because it has the input selector as the amp would be running off speaker leads. This raises a question: Is anyone doing this? Does it sound excellent?

I've also heard that ANY amp could be used as long as there is the appropriate adapter that decreases the line level from the speaker leads so that a normal amp could be used.

3. In mixing and matching bose components with regular kick-*** components, what are the general guidlines? I've heard (I don't know if it's true or not) that bose can't be mixed well with regular audio upgrades because the bose runs at low voltage / low ohms. Is this accurate?

In a nutshell, here's what I am considering:

Keeping the stock HU and internal speakers as I feel their sonic clarity and sound capability to be about 7/10's of what I desire. The extra 3/10's of performance would probably not be worth the cost I would incur. Then, I would like to disconnect the stock sub and add an amp and a sub, either by using a downconverter and a normal amp, or the JL Audio and select the appropriate input level. Of course my preference would be to use a normal amp as I could get away with something less expensive than the JL.

So please offer suggestions as far as best bang for the buck in adding bass to the stock system. In particular, if you have a set-up that you really like, let me know. What amp / sub combo did you use? What RMS power to what kind of speaker(s)? Single sub or double? etc..

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 PM
If you want to do an aftermarket HU, you need to get the DD conversion kit. You can get it through Yosi at J's Garage. It gets imported from Japan, and is about $408. Then you can put whatever head unit in that you want.

Regarding your sub, you can do that easily. Just run line level converters or a LOC from your rear speaker wire. They will convert the speaker wire inputs into RCA for you to run to your amp. Simple from there.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Search around for postings re: Infinity Kappa speakers... I and another member just totally replaced all of our speakers in our Bose coupes. Mine's an 05 (and I think his is as well... sorry can't recall). This involved replacing all speaker locations with 60.7 in front, 62.7 in rear and 693.7 in rear deck. We also both put in Infinty Basslink subs which are all-in-one units and fit nice and compact-like in the trunk.

I went with the Basslink II (newer, more pound for the buck) but it's bigger than the basslink and had to go horizotanlly. Not an ideal situation, but I'm willing to live with it like that.

Essentially, i bought all speakers from an ebay reseller for around $350 and the sub cost me $400 from Crutfhield (only one's to stock it). The sound is NIGHT and DAY! The soundstage is where it ought to be, highs are crisp and the bass rattles your bones.

Oh yea, we both also dynamatted the pi$$ out of the car to keep unwanted rattles out.

I highly recommend this route for the budget concious. For what you'll spend on a JL amp, a JL10 driver and install/cabling/box, you'll have enough for all of this and money left over.

Oh yea (2.0), before I start a "Infinity is not high end war" I agree. I came from a car with a focal, a/d/s, dynaudio system with a digital EQ with time domain shifting. So yea, I can compare... this gets you 90% there without the need to lay down 8-10k. (but boy did that M3 sound nice).

Good luck to ya!
Peet