Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Double Din Help......Long

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double Din Help......Long

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions about the Double Din Mod. I'm looking at getting one of the Eclipse units, but I can't seem to find too much info on it, or anything about user experiences. I like the 5435 that just came out and I'm thinking about getting that one. I got a brochure and it stated that it stops playing DVD's while the car is moving. Is this true or is there a work around for that??

Also, there are only 2 shops where I live that even sell Eclipse, and one of them only carries the 2454 which I don't really want. So I was thinking about buying it online, maybe even Ebay and doing the work myself. I saw some of the write ups and it doesn't look too difficult. How long on average would it take me to get the new center console piece and is the only guy to go thru Yoshi's Garage?

Any input or help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
okay...hopefully you asked all your quesions and you'll get all your answere right here, right now

1- you can get around it by grounding one of the wires to the parking brake. there are several threads detailing this. i have not done it myself, but if you search here or other forums, you'll find your answer.

2- it will take 4-6 weeks from Yoshi. Since you have a 2005, yoshi is your only option that i know of. wait awhile and i'm sure grubbs infiniti will also carry it

Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to receive double din

I ordered mine from yoshi at got it in less than a week... Which was awesome... I faxed my info to him on the 21st, paid on the 22nd, it was shipped on the 23rd, and I received the parts on the 26th. Pretty good delivery time from Japan if you ask me. DD conversion to take place soon.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes you can view movies while driving by grounding the wire labeled "parking brake" directly to ground, Not to the parking brake.

The shops around you are a bit behind, considering the 2454 hasnt been available since Febuary In either event I would suggest having them order you a unit, Thrre years of warranty and a year of theft replacement is a bit to sacrifice for buying online.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:00 PM
1. Order your head unit online like Ebay if you want the best price.

2. If you have installed car stereos before, you can do this. It is more difficult than most dashes I have dealt with. So be ready for that. I've had it apart so many times now that it only takes me a couple minutes. However, figuring it out took me some time.

3. Yosi does not take 2-4 weeks. That dude doesn't know what he is talking about, sorry. Yosi will get it to you in max 2 weeks. The whole process for me was less than 10 days. That includes faxing and emailing back and forth a couple times.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Would I lose the warranty and year of theft replacement if I buy in on Ebay like Pearl05G said, or will I still get the warranty as long as I buy it new off of Ebay?

That's good to hear that it will only take a week or 2 to get the parts, I'm gonna have a few friends that work in the bay at Best Buy install it for me but one is going back to school in a few weeks.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:40 PM
eclipse warranty

From what I've found, you only retain the warranty if you buy and have the HU installed at a authorized installer. When the radio is removed it locks the radio until a "key" cd is inserted that you create at the time of installation with the installer.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Really? Damn. So what if I bought the unit off of Ebay, but had the Authorized Dealer install it for me? Would it still be covered? Cause the only 2 dealers in town don't carry it, and they would have to order it for me, which means they will probably charge me a lot more than what I could normally get it for if I lived in a larger market like LA or something. I hate this town.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
sorry don't know the answer to that one.. you would have to ask the dealer if they would honor the warranty on a product not purchased from them (Eclipse does keep track of which serial numbers are issued to which stores, part of their theft protection)... I would be doubtful but it never hurts to ask...

Old 07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Repsol
Really? Damn. So what if I bought the unit off of Ebay, but had the Authorized Dealer install it for me? Would it still be covered? Cause the only 2 dealers in town don't carry it, and they would have to order it for me, which means they will probably charge me a lot more than what I could normally get it for if I lived in a larger market like LA or something. I hate this town.

You would receive no warrranty at all even a dealer installed it. Eclipse doesnt allow Any online sales whatsoever. I have installed units for customers that bought it online, but made them aware they wouldnt have a warranty prior to the install.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Really? Wow. Good to know guys, thanks for the info, it would have sucked to buy it on Ebay just to find out I'm not gonna get the warranty.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:34 PM
I just put my Eclipse 8443 into my G, didn't have a dealer do it so i don't have the CD key which wasn't a problem. I would advice getting it from a dealer because my eclipse stopped loading CDs after a while so I sent it back for repair covered under the 3 year warranty. Make sure you ground it to the chassis because the stock ground for the unit will not work.