Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Remote Starter??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter??

HELP??? Has anyone installed a remote starter with the G-35 sedan? I have been told by Ziebart it is hard and very time consuming. Plus, a specific system to work around the chip security has not been released. BUT, another company told me it can be done and they are about $150 cheaper than Ziebart - $276.00 Has anyone had any experience with this??

Old 12-03-2002, 08:48 PM
Re: Remote Starter??

From everything I've found out about it, it isn't recommended due to the security feature of the chip in the key...I would also check on how it would affect your warrenty.

Red/Canadian

Old 12-03-2002, 10:14 PM

Well i can tell you that there have been a few installed here at my local performance shop (lazer auto) without any problems.

They did at least 4 cars in the last 2months I am on a waiting list for an install.

The only loss is that you can't open all 4 windows at the same time with there remote starter (but at -20 i dont care )...

Old 12-04-2002, 05:04 AM

It doesnt affect the warranty at all. Also a bipass part is needed for any remote start system installed on cars with a transponder in the key. You will need to purchase an extra ignition key from your dealorship. This key will be used and perminately installed with the remote start system. Since the car needs the transponder in the ignition to start, this bipass basicaly keeps a key in the car at all times, tricking the car into thinking the key is in the car and then starting. It is typically 50 for the key and another 25 - 50 for the bipass thingy. Ask your local installer.

Marcel

Old 12-04-2002, 08:00 PM

My performance shop did not mention any extra key's needed to bypass the system ?? Its sound very logical to need one..I will ask them this week...

Old 12-05-2002, 10:38 AM

I installed Viper 790xv and I love it. It comes with remote start, paging system/remote, all the features from stock remote, e.g., rolling down all 4 windows, trunk, panic. The range is pretty good to...I can start my car from inside the store. However, sometimes it's harder to start in electronic stores. There may be some kind of interference...don't know for sure. By the way, extra key and a transponder is needed to make it work. Risky Business in chicago installed my system. They were referred by my dealer.

Old 12-05-2002, 02:00 PM

I am going to be installing the 790xv aswell. Its tried and true, but my only hesitation is well the g35 remote is a very generic nissan remote. The 790xv adds a really neat remote with lcd function etc etc etc. But from the pictures it doesnt look that good, almost looks like a kits toy cell phone. Do you find that it clashes with your car? Does it look cheap and or tacky? If the pictures truly portray it then i am definately giong to be painting or even rehousing the electronics inside it. But besides that the alarm/remote system is great.

Marcel

Old 12-05-2002, 02:00 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

How much? And do we have to get the key from the dealer ourselves? How much are those?

Old 12-05-2002, 02:30 PM

Personally, I think the remote looks pretty cool...especially compared to cheap looking stock remote. It all depends on your personal preference. Not everyone is the same. I like the fact that it comes with the paging system built into the remote. Bottom line is it looks better than the stock remote. The stock remote reminds me of my dad's ford crown victoria because he had the same remote for his car....lol. As far as the extra key, I got 3 sets of keys when I bought my car, so I used one of them for my alarm. The going rate is $599 installed and $30 for the transponder plus tax.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read in the newspaper that Calgary is considering a bylaw that prohibits extended periods of idling your car during warmups. I wonder how this will impact the people with car starters and if similar bylaws will spread to other cities?

Old 12-05-2002, 10:09 PM

I paid 300 for my Viper 790xv shiped and all. Another 30 for the transponder, and will use my extra key so nothing there. Self Install free.....

as to the bylaw....
all i can say is............. sillly canadians
A law like that will never pass in any cities in the US. Unless the green party runs the city.

Marcel

Old 12-12-2002, 07:35 PM

Hi,

I just pickup a new G35 Sedan and had a remote starter installed.

I have the option where the seat moves back/forth when the car is stopped/started.

However, with the remote, the seta no longer automatically moves forward when the car is started.

Once I get in, I have to stop the car and re-start it to move to seat.

My dealer says there is no way around it and was surprised when I let him know of this problem.

Any ideas ?