Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Retro-fit Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retro-fit Bluetooth?

Now we have the pictures...

Can we seemlessly integrate Bluetooth with the factory system or is Aftermarket the only way to go? I know with the BMW's you could retro-fit the OEM version but am unsure about Infiniti. Electronic gurus please chime in...

Thanks

Old 08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you happen to know if all BMWs come with a built in mic? Because BMW assist only comes with the Premium package (at least on M3s) and I'm pretty sure you can retrofit Bluetooth on a non-premium BMW. Let me ask around and I'll get back to you. I'm very interested in doing the retrofit also.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
you most likely will have to get an 06 head unit to make it work cause the bluetooth is built into the radio.

being that you have an 05 the dash is the same so that prolly wouldnt be a problem for you
but for us 03 and 04 guys its goin to be a little bit more work and more money cause the dashes changed

Old 08-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
Do you happen to know if all BMWs come with a built in mic? Because BMW assist only comes with the Premium package (at least on M3s) and I'm pretty sure you can retrofit Bluetooth on a non-premium BMW. Let me ask around and I'll get back to you. I'm very interested in doing the retrofit also.

I dont know. My 2004 X5 had it and most late model BMW's seem to have it (do they all generally come with premium package?) Anyways...it was already built in so adding the bluetooth was as simple as buying the module and sticking it the rear (where the disk chager harness was). I fear it wont be as simple for us

Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM
parrot makes aftermarket bluetooth for cars. ex. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cellpoint/parckbluetvo.html

Old 08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I dont know. My 2004 X5 had it and most late model BMW's seem to have it (do they all generally come with premium package?) Anyways...it was already built in so adding the bluetooth was as simple as buying the module and sticking it the rear (where the disk chager harness was). I fear it wont be as simple for us
Most M3s definitely don't come with Premium/BMW assist. That's why most come with the oval rearview mirror. I'll definitely look into how they go about adding BT.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I learned everything I know from Roadfly. You can find it all there. It was like a $500 OEM part from BMW and then like $200-$300 to install it. It was like $800 to retro-fit it...hence why I continued to answer my phone the ol' fashion way

Old 08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I learned everything I know from Roadfly. You can find it all there. It was like a $500 OEM part from BMW and then like $200-$300 to install it. It was like $800 to retro-fit it...hence why I continued to answer my phone the ol' fashion way
Correct.. I know you have to buy an 05 TCU for about $500 and pay for labor to retrofit it. Or do it yourself I can't imagine how much it's going to cost for our cars.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
FGC President
why did this thread get turned into a bmw thread??

Old 08-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I wonder if we bought the part shown in the picture and install something like the parrot aftermarket deal in it. I'm just trying to get seemless integration (ie. Hidden microphone and auto mute of the radio)

Old 08-17-2005, 04:11 PM
FGC President
that might work and it would prolly be the cheapest way to go

Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Ohh oh...do I hear Guinea Pig?

Old 08-17-2005, 04:14 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by SFLG35
why did this thread get turned into a bmw thread??
Because Finiti posted in it....

Old 08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey Finiti...we can turn it into a C6 thread too if you want.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Cool Get TomTom GO 700

If you are looking for Bluetooth handsfree kit with GPS the best product is the TomTom GO 700.

Here is my review -

I just got a TT GO 700 last week and love it so far. Here is my review based on my experiences so far.

1) Bluetooth Phone feature -
I love the bluetooth phone feature, My phone Motorola v330 was not listed in the supported list but I was successfull able to connect and use it. Based on my experience, I don't think the phone compatibility list is always up to date, just try your phone and see if it works with the device.

Making calls and recieving calls is very convenient though the GPS screen, sound quality is excellent for hearing the other party through the GPS speaker. Talking though the GPS microphone ranges from good to excellent. I had few freinds who could not believe i was talking thorough a Handsfree GPS device, while sometimes my friends complained the voice was very hollow. You have to give the benefit of doubt to the TomTom device as there are lot of variables involved in making a phone call though bluetooth like Phone Signal quality, road noise, etc... Overall i am very impressed with the phone capabilities, although I have some gripes which i will list below.

2) Mapping and routing - I have not tried it on a long trip yet, mostly I have driven locally where I know all the routes. Routing in general is very good and accurate. Although I found few new addresses that were not listed. I drove to one of my friends place who lives in the far west suburbs of chicago and his community streets were totally absent / missing in the TomTom maps. So, once I got to his house, I bookmarked the Map position on to my favourites, so that I can get to his house. Since there are no street level data for his community, all I could do was use the map point as guide to get me to his house.
Even for my house which is about 3-4 yrs old, the street names are slightly mixed in the subdivision and moreover I cannot get my address by typing / searching for the location in the GPS.
Rest of the regular routes are very accurate and detailed.

3) POI - I was surprised that I could find some local stores which I did not expect to find on the device. Haven't used the feature extensively but seems fairly OK. Although I would like to know how to update the POI?

4) Voice / Sound quality - Voice and sound quality is excellent. Instructions are read out loud and clear. I have read that there are darth vader and yoda voices available, love to get them installed on my device.

5) Visibility / Brightness - I have my brightness set to full and it looks very sharp and bright. I haven't seen any major issues during mid afternoon sunlight so far.

Complaints and like to have features -
First the complaints -

1) I am not able to see my "Phone book" numbers from my cellphone on the TomTom GO 700 device. I have the option to "Get numbers from phone" when clicked tries to retrive numbers from phone and after couple of minutes says retrieved numbers successfully, but my "Phone book" icon is always disabled on my TTGO 700.
My phone is the Motorola V330 with T-Mobile service.

2) Not sure if the TomTom Plus service is available in USA yet? No proper documentation available on the website and Manual.

3) The POI search capability could be improved, in the current version you are forced to select a category for searching the POI, this makes it hard if you are not sure what category the POI you are looking for is listed in. It would be great if you could just type the name of the POI and find it. As an example "Walgreens" is a "Store" which could also be a "Pharmacy". So, to search for Walgreens you have to know if it is in the "Store" or the "Pharmacy" category. This might not be the best example, but I hope you get the idea.

Like to have features -
1) I would love to have voice recognition / voice dial through the GPS device. I don't think it is a big ask, as the device already has a microphone through which you answer your calls. Most phones already have voice recognition capability, so it should not be hard to just pass my voice command to the cell phone.

2) Extending the above mentioned feature, it would be great if we can use voice commands to enter our address. That would make it truly hands free and very safe to operate.

3) Frequent updates to MAPS & POI through the internet?? Not sure if it is available or how to get updates?

These are my complaints so far, will keep updating as I use the device.

Cool features -

1) Hands free calling through GPS, I was really amazed this morning when I had the TTGO 700 in my living room and the bluetooth phone in my bedroom which is one floor above and the opposite end of my living room, the device could connect to the phone.

2) Ability to search for POI's and make calls to them through the GPS is really helpfull.

3) Linux based OS - ability to customize.

----------------------------------------
Website - http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=0&Language=4

Attached Thumbnails Retro-fit Bluetooth?-tomtom.jpg  

Last edited by g35dreamcar; 08-17-2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Updated with the image

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Retro-fit Bluetooth?