Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

$400 audio overhaul?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, someone is going to have to make up my mind for me. I have the money in the account just waiting to be spent.
I have done a few installs myself, just nothing that elaborate. This doen't look too difficult since I don't plan on rewiring the components...it's just going to be a straight swap. The only hard part is running the power wire from the battery.
rs2183, I'm not to literate on the lingo. Can you explain what TB and IP mean?

Old 08-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Espresso,

It seems like alot of people have just replaced the stock components with the Kappa's and still retained the stock Bose amp. Are they more satisfied because of the fact that the Kappa's are 2ohm?

Old 08-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dre's G
Espresso,

It seems like alot of people have just replaced the stock components with the Kappa's and still retained the stock Bose amp. Are they more satisfied because of the fact that the Kappa's are 2ohm?
Yes, the Kappas are 2ohm speakers. I wouldn't recommend trying to run 4ohm speakers off of the stock Bose amp.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:02 PM
i'm also interested in the 2 ohm kappas...how are they? is it worth buying just the speakers and using the bose amp? can the bose amp handle the kappas?
i'm also on a budget-would just replacing the tweeters be worth it? or should i also do both sets of speakers?

Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM
The new kappas are 2 ohms but are pretty power hungry. They will work with the Bose amp but I doubt they will sound good. Just looking at the amp will fill your mind with doubt.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:10 PM
^^^^true true, thats what i was thinking....anybody who actually has this setup?

Old 08-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would highly recommend AGAINST using the stock amp to push your components. Your original plan sounded better. I would do the HIFONICS amp with the ED comps and sub of your choice. The stock comps run at 2ohms and most aftermarket comps run at 4 ohms. You just wont get enough power running to the comps to make it worth while. Save further if necessary. It appears that those ED comps are rebadged CDT's. I would look into CDT if you are on a budget as well.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:52 PM
It looks like Derzigster and peet both have the stock amp with Infinity Components. You are probably right, that Hifonics ZX8000 is large though. It's 2 feet long... can you mount the amp below the Bose Sub?

Old 08-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Espresso
The new kappas are 2 ohms but are pretty power hungry. They will work with the Bose amp but I doubt they will sound good. Just looking at the amp will fill your mind with doubt.
I just pulled the Bose amp today to take a look for my own audio project. You are not kidding. That thing is laughable.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 AM
If space is a concern like in the coupes, you can always mount your amp under the rear deck. I did this after removing the 2 6x9 speakers. Here's a pic. It's held onto the rear deck by hinges and can be folded up and out of the way.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Honestly, as far as i'm concerned, this is a simple decision.

Do NOT use the stock amp. Your speakers are only as good as their weakest link. By upgrading the amp, you are getting rid of one of the weak links. There is no point in spending more money on speakers without an amp. At some point, the speakers will simply expose the limitations of your weak bose amplifier, making even the most expensive set of comps sound mediocre at best.

Go with the eDi's. These are the best comps on your list. Great price. Good company. Ben (the owner) is a cool individual.

Go with the Hifonics amp. Perfect for what you need it for. Reliable, Powerful enough. Reasonably priced.

Go with either of the ID subs. SQ/SPL wise, either of them will compliment your system very well.

With the proper install, this setup will definitely impress you.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Anyone have pics for an install of the front speakers? I am also looking at keeping a $400 budget for my stereo upgrade and can cut out $80 by doing my own speaker install, which should be easy enough I would think, but just need to see what this would really entail.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I found this on the web last night. It gives a good diagram of how to install front speakers
http://www.columbusinteractive.com/G35/tweeters/

Also, does anyone know of a free air replacement for the 8" sub. I know that JL made the Infinite Baffle 8" that was great. Does anyone know of another that is currently in production?

Old 08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the post Dre! Great description and pics to go with it. Besides the components listed above in an earlier post, are there any other speakers for under $200 (Focal Access, MB Quart?) that should be considered for an audio upgrade project. The music played will be mostly Jazz, so clarity in the Mid-bass becomes very important. Also, does anyone know of an amp that will accept speaker level inputs in order to eliminate the need for an LC6?

Old 08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by audiphile
Thanks for the post Dre! Great description and pics to go with it. Besides the components listed above in an earlier post, are there any other speakers for under $200 (Focal Access, MB Quart?) that should be considered for an audio upgrade project. The music played will be mostly Jazz, so clarity in the Mid-bass becomes very important. Also, does anyone know of an amp that will accept speaker level inputs in order to eliminate the need for an LC6?
Most speaker level inputs are not transformer isolated and are meant for bass use primarily. I wouldn't plan on using them.

I don't think you need an LC6. I think you can use the preamp outs of the HU.

I would consider the DLS Magnesium MS6 if the woofer fits. Big woofer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $400 audio overhaul?