Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose - EQ in HU or Amp? Both?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose - EQ in HU or Amp? Both?

Installer I'm considering tested and believes curve is flat from the HU. It's the amp says he. Can anyone confirm or deny? Any documentation? I've seen discussion of it in other threads but don't think there was any resolution.

Obviously this would make installing additional amps less complicated if you don't have to worry about EQing the signal from the HU. It kind of makes sense if you consider the HU is actually Clarion and Bose says "we'll take it from there" so they can put their name on it.

I saw the screen of the tool he was using (Autilyzer I think) and the bar graphs were pretty damn flat even when we were messing with volume settings.

TIA

Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woops, I just posted this same question Interested in knowing the answer, as you said, it could really change a setup.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have also used a RTA and can confirm that the curve is flat coming out of the HU. What I have not tested is the curve at different volumes. My understanding is that the bass output falls off at higher volumes to protect their crappy equipment (not certain if this occurs, and if so, at what volume it kicks in, and if only in the sedan or coupe or both as the subwoofer system is different for each).

Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I just posted in the other thread too. It sure looks like EQ is coming from the amp. He used his magic analyzer plugging probes directly into the connector to the amp (after disconnecting form amp). We faded FR/RR, balanced L/R and adjusted volume +/- and the bar graph was flat in all instances running pink noise test. I think this is good news.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, it was an NT Instruments Acoustilyzer from Switzerland : )

http://www.nt-instruments.com/X0-ASP...X1-default.htm

The only variation I saw was what looked like an "auto-loudness" feature below like 50% on the volume control. This is pretty common with head units in general, and probably resulted in a 4-5dB tilt tilt to the bass at the vary lowest volume settings, and smoothing out until it was flat above that point on the volume ****. Not flat, but pretty hard to discern in a moving car.

But as far as the typical Bose roller-coaster response, with a big dip or two, no sign of that. I'd run this output unequalized into an aftermarket amp in a heartbeat.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys for the confirmation. I swore I wouldn't forget the name of the Acoustilyzer device but I did. I believe we also saw the auto-loudness effect but not dramatic enough to really worry. Who runs their volume low anyway?

You should have seen the 300C graph. Talk about roller coaster. Wheeeeeeeee!