Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Ipod questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod questions

I've searched around and havent got a conclusive answer...

I have a 2003 Premium Sedan w/o Nav...

I think I can get a PAC Audio AAi-NIS or something like that and it will act as an AUX.

Couple of questions:

1) When I scroll through the mode (source) switch on my steering wheel, will the headunit display "AUX"?

2) are there any other options for this kind of setup?

3) how long of a reach does the AAi-NIS or similar items have? I'd like to mount it all under the center console and run it into the storage area next to the power outlet.

Thanks in advance,
-Kevin

Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Do you have the SAT button on your HU? The PAC-AAIS connects to an unused SAT connector. If you don't have the SAT option you can't use the PAC-AAIS. You should not have a problem running your cable to the storage area. You run a Y-cable with RCA connectors that go into the PAC unit on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other end for your iPod. These come in varying lengths so it can be as long as you want.

Mode will display as: "SR-1 CH--1 -- --" or "SR-2 CH--2 -- --". There are two RCA connections on the PAC unit and you can toggle between them by hitting the SAT button thus the 1 and 2.

I have the iceLINK AUX unit which connects to PAC unit via RCA connectors and to the iPod through the docking connector so it charges the iPod when plugged AND provides 4V preamp out for the audio. Sounds very good IMO especially after having lived with a cassette adapter for so long.

If you don't have the SAT button the common options are a cassette adapter or an FM modulator. These are not the best options for sound quality.

I don't know how or if you can integrate an AUX connector to the existing HU without the SAT option. I will let others chime in on that one. I suspect it is a more complex and expensive operation.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:41 PM
no sat button

help me please

Old 10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
ack no sat button in a 2003; thats rare... well your car is not capable of sat which means there's no where to plug in the PAC Audio AAi-NIS. Assuming you don't use your tape player you can hardwire in a tape adapter; its a better option than most people give it credit for.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
well where would the sat button be?

I understand there's a port on the back of my HU.... can't confirm it without taking it out though

Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 PM
It's on the front of the HU. The buttons that say DISC, TAPE, FM/AM. I have a fourth that says SAT.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
well this sucks

Disc, Tape, AM, FM

So instead of getting AM/FM... I have two different buttons.

Anyone dealt with that?

Last edited by Bankheist; 10-04-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Bankheist - no worries.

What you have is a Year 2003 G35 instead of a 2003.5 It was in the 2003.5's that they switched to the SAT button and thus, not many of the AUX makers built or continued to make adapters since it was for a limited model year.

After much prodding, Soundgate started to reproduce their AUX input called the ALNS1. You can find it here at logjam

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundalns1.html

You'll also need the cable listed on the page. Works great - I also have the same setup. It basically emulates a second CD changer which you get to by hitting the CD button. (I forget exactly what it displays).

Installing is a snap once you get to the back of the head unit.

-Rich

Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
that is awesome... so it will just toggle through the system like AM/FM1/FM2/CD1/CD2?

so just install those two pieces and thats it? i dont have to buy any other items?

I hope this thread serves well for future 2003.0 owners.

Last edited by Bankheist; 10-04-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
That's it. Yeah, when you use the "mode" on the steering wheel, it toggles through just like that. Bascially it looks like a CD changer that sitting on one track all the time.

Good luck, let me know if you need the instructions on how to get to the head unit.

-Rich

Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
awesome, I'll PM you when I do this (probably this month)

Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Awesome for you Bankheist. You will love it. It will spoil you for other cars. I hate driving my wife's car and not being able to jack in the iPod.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM
actually... i was already spoiled... I have a JVC headunit with an aux-in on my subaru. Pissed me off getting a more luxurious car and not having the same capability.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
After market HUs give you a lot of capability. I want a input that works off the bottom port. I think thats the best way to get a clear signal from teh iPod

Old 10-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasTT
After market HUs give you a lot of capability. I want a input that works off the bottom port. I think thats the best way to get a clear signal from teh iPod
This seems fairly straight forward. You get a car cradle that you place the ipod into (cradle connects to ipod via bottom multifunction port). Cradle has an 1/8" stereo plug from it. Adapt this to RCA, connect to an aux input (be it an onboard one on aftermarket HU or an adapted aux input on stock HU) and away you go!

The multifunction jack on the bottom of the IPod is really just a compact set of pins, two of which are going to be attached to the pod's audio output stream. Connecting these two pins via some proprietary cable to a "IPOD IN" (or something to that effect) on an aftermarket HU will not buy you any increase in sound quality over using a cradle setup as described above. Only thing such a proprietary connection would buy would be perhaps controlling the ipod from the HU.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod questions