Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install

k guys~ how much did it cost you to install?.. i have front components/ 2 amps / wires and a sub. i've been quoted at Tweeters (newport beach) for like $500. is this fair since they are pros.. or should i take it to circuit city. they charge about $300.

Last edited by G35blk; 10-21-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, you're not really being detailed enough to know if the install is fair or not. Are they installing dynamat? Does this include all of the misc wiring, connectors, etc? Does that price include the equipment AND the labor or just the labor? Are you replacing the head unit? If not I would be scared to let Tweeter do it (they had no idea how to do it when I asked them what it would take to do mine).

Think of Circuit City as the drop outs of car audio. They may get it right, but I wouldn't trust my bicycle to them, let alone my precious Infiniti.

To directly answer your question, my install was the cost of the equipment, because I've been installing everything myself. I know this doesn't help you, sorry

Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, to install front components, two amps, a sub, and wires, is not really that hard of a job. I would recommend doing it yourself after careful research. While you are at it, you can also dynamat (sound proof) a lot of exposed areas.

However, if you are not confident to do it yourself, stay far away from Tweeter or Circuit City. Get some quotes from some smaller stores and see what you are looking at. Generally, the smaller stores will do a better job; the mass market places are dangerous!

Dave

Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
no dynamat or headunit. i have front co./2-amps/sub/and all the wires/loc. as stated. i just want the labor. ONLY labor. just installation of all my parts. i have 4080box so no need to custom. maybe i need a amp rack for my 2 amps or i can just have one on back of the backseat/trunk and one on top of my trunk.. <shrug>

Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$500 is probably fair, though I wouldn't do what you're doing without sound deadening (dynamat or whatever). I hear all sorts of rattling and shaking in my door panel with my woofer in it right now.

Considering they will be taking apart the door, it makes sense anyhow.

I too would stay away from both of the stores, Tweeter included.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by G35blk
no dynamat or headunit. i have front co./2-amps/sub/and all the wires/loc. as stated. i just want the labor. ONLY labor. just installation of all my parts. i have 4080box so no need to custom. maybe i need a amp rack for my 2 amps or i can just have one on back of the backseat/trunk and one on top of my trunk.. <shrug>
This is exactly what I'm doing too. I've already installed the front components myself. 4080 box w/ sub already wired up and in place. Now I just need to install the amps. Under rear deck and one on backseat for amps.

I did get a quote as follows:

$125 front component install
$125 amp rack
$250 amp installs

Prices are a bit on the high side, so I decided to install myself.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 PM
I can't comment on Tweeter but I highly doubt CC will be running new speaker wires for you. Overall, what you are trying to accomplish isn't that hard, it will just take some patience and a little understanding of car audio equipment to get the job done. It would be recommended that you run new speaker wires rather than doing all that work and rely on cheap factory wires. For me, even with my limited experience, I did the job myself and had the personal satisfaction of a DIY install. Plus the money you save can be used for more mods/equipment.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:21 PM
i have done a component install myself, and, once i got going and started, it took me about 2 hours to do both sides... and that included fabricating a set of MDF rings for the speakers

i've also installed my own JL 500/1 sub amp and subwoofers myself, which are also another hour or 2 worth of work, and something that you can also do yourself. worst part was running the power line from the battery... that alone took me like 1.5 hours of the 2 i spent.

save yourself the labor and give it a shot yourself. the whole thing will probably take you a saturday afternoon if you take your time and relax. you can easily find descriptions and probably diagrams of all the wiring you need to tap/splice from the stock system right here on the forum.

if it works out, you saved $300-$500 and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. if it doesn't work out, well then you still gotta pay someone, no harm done.

PS - like some have said, definitely do some type of sound deadening like Dynamat.... my car rattles alot from the bass

Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
PS - like some have said, definitely do some type of sound deadening like Dynamat.... my car rattles alot from the bass
I haven't reinstalled my subs but did take the doors and trunk apart to install eDead V3. It's a paint form of deadening and wow, the midbass from my doors were greatly improved. I'll have to see how it handles the subs in the trunk though.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Espresso
I can't comment on Tweeter but I highly doubt CC will be running new speaker wires for you. Overall, what you are trying to accomplish isn't that hard, it will just take some patience and a little understanding of car audio equipment to get the job done. It would be recommended that you run new speaker wires rather than doing all that work and rely on cheap factory wires. For me, even with my limited experience, I did the job myself and had the personal satisfaction of a DIY install. Plus the money you save can be used for more mods/equipment.

i have my own wires. i have 4gauge R.F. dual amp kit.

Since i have the bose system(i heard bose need some different wiring), i have no clue about the wiring and such to the headunit. I have my own LOC. and such but i have no clue how to hook it up. installs on sub/sub-box.. front components is easy but running/hooking up wires through my amp through everything(hooking up headunit.speakers.sub.) im not aware of.. dunno.. i'll see what i can do.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
how would i run my wires?.. under the carpets..through door panals..i have no clue.. do i have to rip out carpet and such. i want a clean look with no wires popping out here and there. lol. any instruction on the clean wiring... im planning on hooking my amp in the backseat/trunk and the other one. on top of rear_deck(trunk). do i drill holes through where i can reach the battery so i can connect things?.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:53 PM
► Matt ◄
I wouldnt stereotype tweeter. Ive been friends with the mobile installers at my local tweeter for over 5 years and both guys do great work. Ive had 3 custom systems done through them (2 in my IS, 1 in my G) and all 3 have come out really clean. I guess it all depends on the one you goto.

Matt

Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys think of the mobile installers at Best Buy.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by hye_G
What do you guys think of the mobile installers at Best Buy.

all three of those places are a joke. best buy did my first cars headunit when i was 17 and they hacked it together (took everything out a yr later and i discovered it was hacked up)

g35blk-

Do find a smaller joint to have your stuff put in/built whatever--assuming you do not trust yourself. putting in the speakers is not hard and running speakerwire/power wire is cake. Most if not all panels are just popped on and with a little convincing they will pop out. good luck.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
i know small places hack it together as well. i've had my 99prelude done at couple of those small places and they don't give a crap..as long it's in their with zip-ties and taped on- it's all good to them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Install