Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose (Factory) Head Unit but with after market speakers...loud hissing sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here's an update from the shop I got my installation done at:

The guy told me that mostly all after market speaker installs with factory HU's will produce that hissing sound. He also points out that this is especially true with BOSE systems. However, he said that this can be corrected by adding an EQ (which el_duderino has already mentioned, will NOT correct the problem) in order to "clean up the frequencies to match the speakers".

So, basically, what it seems to boil down to is the following: I drop $2300 for a system that makes an extremely noticeable hissing noise, in order to correct the problem, I have to pay an additional $500 for an EQ to "clean" the noise up.

I mean, if this guy KNEW this was a problem, you would think that he would have recommended the EQ from the beginning. Well, suffice it to say that I am beginning to feel a little scammed by the whole deal.

At this point, I am weighing my options as far as getting everything taken out and trying to get my money back and going to a different shop. It's that, or trying to find an inexpensive fix that will clear up the hissing noise.

Does anyone know of a quality stereo shop in the San Diego (North County preferrably) that has a lot of experience with Infiniti/Bose??

Old 12-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Insanity187
My cousin had a similiar problem like this, the sound went up with the rpm's. it was a problem with the ground wires for the deck
Sounds different to me.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by chinfiniti
Well, here's an update from the shop I got my installation done at:

The guy told me that mostly all after market speaker installs with factory HU's will produce that hissing sound. He also points out that this is especially true with BOSE systems. However, he said that this can be corrected by adding an EQ (which el_duderino has already mentioned, will NOT correct the problem) in order to "clean up the frequencies to match the speakers".

So, basically, what it seems to boil down to is the following: I drop $2300 for a system that makes an extremely noticeable hissing noise, in order to correct the problem, I have to pay an additional $500 for an EQ to "clean" the noise up.

I mean, if this guy KNEW this was a problem, you would think that he would have recommended the EQ from the beginning. Well, suffice it to say that I am beginning to feel a little scammed by the whole deal.

At this point, I am weighing my options as far as getting everything taken out and trying to get my money back and going to a different shop. It's that, or trying to find an inexpensive fix that will clear up the hissing noise.

Does anyone know of a quality stereo shop in the San Diego (North County preferrably) that has a lot of experience with Infiniti/Bose??
Call La Jolla Audio. In North County, VIP in Carlsbad used to be good, but I hear everyone I knew left. Or I can make some phone calls tomorrow for ya.

BTW, get your money back. the dealership won't risk a bad report to Infiniti USA... they will take a hit on their CSI (customer satisfaction index) and it will hurt their bonuses. So call the manager and tell him you want it all refunded and removed.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 AM
el_duderino:

Thanks for the sound advice. But before I get drastic, I would like to get some more information about a "clean" install. Specifically, I would like to be able to go back to this shop and tell the installer, "Hey, I know that I can have this type of configuration (Bose HU, and after market amp & speakers) without the hissing sound, and without the additonal $500+ EQ."

As I've mentioned before, the installer insists that this is a problem that will occur with ANY installation with the Bose HU in place. As I'm sure you, and hundreds of other users on this forum, probably know this is completely inaccurate.

I, however, do not have the technical expertise and/or know-how to make that claim (which is why I am in this situation in the first place). Any guidance, as always, is appreciated.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick summary of the easiest install (and consequently my install)

Get an amp that accepted differential-balanced inputs. I recommend JL. People say they aren't top-notch, but I like them and they work well in our cars.

Connect the HU's 4 output wires to the JL amp (you will need to convert them to RCA, either with a quality LOC [check out soundgate] or using some home-made adapters [using twisted/braided RCA cables ~ this is what I did). Set the input voltage on the amp to "low". Connect your speakers to the amp outputs. You're done.

I honestly believe that the most important part to successfully upgrading the system in our cars is the amp. The speakers/components are important to sound quality, but to have a SUCCESSFUL system that WORKS (and by works I mean no whine, no hiss, etc), you need to use an amp that takes differential-balanced inputs and accepts low voltages for inputs.

The shop, at least from your side of the story, knows nothing about what he's doing. The longer you funk with them/him, the longer you subject your car to getting funked up even more. I would run for the hills and scream/hollar to get your money back.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
The amps are crap and they might be the problem too.

There's an Orange County shop that's owned by a forum member.. anyone remember his name?

The shops taht do dealer work are often the worst of all.
His name is Rudy. I think he is the owner. I have heard good things about his shop. Here's the link: http://www.carsoundadvice.com/

Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
You have a PM.

Amthar is right in that if the amp interface is lousy, you can't have good sound quality.

I tend to take that as a baseline, though.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is just so all top 5 threads that are non-sticky have me as the last poser. I mean poster.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Post *****
and now you sren't there until you respond

Old 01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Insanity187
My cousin had a similiar problem like this, the sound went up with the rpm's. it was a problem with the ground wires for the deck
thats what I was thinking