Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Harman/Kardon Drive+Play (Ipod control)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how would you rate the sound quality? I've tried the fm transmitter through the cig adapter (fuzzy), Monster cassette tape adapter (sux), and I just purchased this but only because the guy at the store assured me it was direct connect to my stock unit. I even asked him if it was by way of FM transmission and he said it was direct connect. Seems like Ill need to buy the HK FM modulator and the scosche antennae adapter kit but even with that how does the sound quality rate compared to something like the Monster ICruze? I want to make the most use of my Focal comp speakers and Audisson amp, and of course the good ole Ipod Video.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I had it hooked up with the wired FM Modulator from HK and it sounds great. It also gives me an extra Aux line input that I can plug my MyFi into! I've had no problems and absolutly love this thing. This is the Ipod solution I have been searching for over 1.5 years!

The install ran $50 at Circuit City, $30 for the FM Modulator, and I believe $20 for the antenna interface for the FM Modulator. It was right around $350 total installed with a 4 year warranty ($35 extra)

Brian

Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I just got the I-Drive installed with the Fm-modulator and im dissapointed. I have an aftermarket sub and amp and ever since then, my radio reception went from ok to hell. I figure that the Fm modulator might still give me good enough reception, but it does not. Maybe if I didnt have the amp, it would be ok, but if ur reception is bad to begin with, this mod won't do much better. Im off to find me a Pac AAI-NIS and finish this installation right. Howevery, the I-Drive controls and interface work great, no complaints there, i would just recommend bitting the bullet and get the PAC

Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Modena4re, did you install it yourself? This is exactly what I have been worried about, so now I'm concerned! Anyone else run into this issue?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:38 AM
I ended up returning this back to Best Buy and was waiting for the last 3 weeks for a Peripheral PXNI that I ordered. Just like the Pac AAI-NIS its on backorder. I think retailers and shops will have them soon since CES show in Vegas is over. Every car stereo shop I called here in San Diego said they were out and wanted me to call them up this week. If you find one please let me know as well.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
saikosol, I don't think you needed to return it. Sounds like the best setup would be to add a Pac AAI-NIS, or the Peripheral aux input to the Drive+Play to both have great sound and have iPod control and display.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:04 AM
firmware upgrade

I ran across this at http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaainis.html
--------
AVAILABILITY NOTICE: We are currently out-of-stock on this item as PAC, the manufacturer of the device, is in the process of upgrading the firmware. According to PAC management, they are hopeful that they will have the upgraded AAI-NIS completed and be shipping the product around the end of January 2006.
----------
Sounds like waiting is a good idea.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I talked to the salesperson at PAC and they confirmed that there will be a new unit AAI-NIS2 I believe that will be available end of this month. Supposedly they made improvements over the older unit which I hope considering the wait they've put us all through. As far as this unit + the Drive & Play although thats a possibility Id rather spend $ on more stereo components than spend $500+ to play my $300 ipod on my stock headunit.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FM modulation is the devil.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Yea I installed it myself, I have an 05 so removing the radio really was not difficult and all of the components are pretty simple. I am now waiting on the Peripheral PXNI so that I can finish this the right way. Another thing I have noticed about the Fm-modulator is that while listening to the ipod, if the reception starts to get fuzzy, if I change the station on the radio and then changed it back to the right frequency the reception is suddenly better for a little while..wierd I know.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 PM
IPOD FM transmitters typically don't give very good sound. That said, the ipodlounge.com did a review on FM Transmitter products. Based on that I bought this one:

Kensington Digital FM Transmitter for iPod - It is made by company Aerielle for the company Kensington and you can buy in stores or many Web pages such as - http://www.aerielle.com/shop/index.html. It looks like they build for Iriver U10 model and also many others.

It charges, powers and does FM transmission all at once and the sound it just like the review said... awesome. I am very happy with this product.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
got the pac-aai nis2 installed this weekend and it sounds great. Pretty close to CD quality and makes good use of my aftermarket speakers. After all the hassle of trying out different products to utilize my ipod in the G, I'd have to say this is the best.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you able to use the stock buttons on the steering wheel to control the ipod? using the nis2

Old 02-06-2006, 01:41 AM
no still cant control the ipod via steering wheel controls unless you get the pac swi x or like device

Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Stole the sis's account!
How can i install this without a modulator? i want to use my sat. input since i dont plan on getting it. What can I do?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Harman/Kardon Drive+Play (Ipod control)