Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

V1 Hardwired - in 2 minutes (images)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1 Hardwired - in 2 minutes (images)

I suppose this is my first modifcation to the car. I went ahead and hard wired the V1 radar detector using the cords available from invisicord.com ($14 shipped). Sure, I could make one but for $14 this was a no-brainer. The install took upwards of 3 minutes. I will get a diagram of the plug for anyone who wants to give this a shot. Invisicord is the way to go!

I could not be happier with it. Some quick install pics are here:
http://www.imagemotorworks.com/scott/g35/

And now the one I must force everyone to see....

Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Nice. My invisicord should be arriving any day now via the mail. I can't wait to get rid of the ugly coiled power cord!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I assume this means that the modified tips worked well for you? I have two kinds of connectors, the new one is a "wimpy" but much smaller connector, I would rather keep the more stout, abeit trimmed connectors. Less chance of failure during the installation (bending, breaking, etc).

Do you mind if I snag one of your pictures showing the plug with the cord tapped into it? I can add it to the installation guide in the near future, you know "a picture is worth a thousand words" thing...

Old 01-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I wired my passport detector this way. Slick as heck worked great. And kuddos to inviscord. The first cord they shipped hadn't shown up after two weeks so they sent out another one no problem. Well the second one showed up with in four days and the one they originally shiped showed up a day latter so of course I sent it back. Jsut hope it got back to them.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I believe I received it! It had a letter attached stating that the replacement worked fine?

Good ol' USPS. Keep raising the rates, but first class letters take up to two weeks to get to their destination. I cannot tell you how many I have had do this. First mailing takes weeks, 2nd replacement gets there before the first ever does...

Old 01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by TeamSpeed
I assume this means that the modified tips worked well for you? I have two kinds of connectors, the new one is a "wimpy" but much smaller connector, I would rather keep the more stout, abeit trimmed connectors. Less chance of failure during the installation (bending, breaking, etc).

Do you mind if I snag one of your pictures showing the plug with the cord tapped into it? I can add it to the installation guide in the near future, you know "a picture is worth a thousand words" thing...
I will get you some better pictures and diagram the plug. While I was in there, I took the volt meter to all the points.

I should have better ones for you in two or three days.

-Scott

Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
could have gone to auto zone and get a fuse piggy back wire 7 bucks i think it was.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, I got home tonight and my invisicord was waiting for me. It took me about 4 minutes to install my Passport (I am obviously a little slower than GTScott). This is a great product and it comes with great customer service as well.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by God|ZIlla168
could have gone to auto zone and get a fuse piggy back wire 7 bucks i think it was.
I believe the point is that it might take less time to install the Invisicord than it does to get to the first traffic light on your way to Autozone!

As always, for anyone wanting to make their own hardwire, feel free to use the resources on my installation page. I have had many folks make their own with some of my help.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this sounds very easy and the pics are great... i have a couple of questions though... it looks like there are 2 rows of 3 holes in that plug and that the two that the invisacord plugs into are empty... is this correct?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Raznips
this sounds very easy and the pics are great... i have a couple of questions though... it looks like there are 2 rows of 3 holes in that plug and that the two that the invisacord plugs into are empty... is this correct?
From what I gleaned from the first set of folks to install my cord, there is one row of 3 holes. My cord piggybacks into the back of the first two. From the perspective of the one picture, I could see why it appears the way you stated. If you looked at the plug from more of an angle though, you would see the first two holes with the factory wires coming out and my connectors sticking out right under them, and the 3rd hole would just have the factory wire.

This harness looks very similiar to the one used on the Malibu/G6, which also only has 3 wires, but different colors.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by TeamSpeed

I may reorder another cord from you since I have the more "stout" and thicker version. I made it work, but I've noticed that it's not as clean an install as it could be due to the size.

Great product though.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Man, I should of gone this route. I tried to tap into the mirror the hard way. but could never get it to work. I never had this problem before, I had my volt meter and it was reading as hot but could not get it..... so i went to autozone got the piggy back for $14..... $5 for extended phone cord. then an hour of my time to install. The only real benefit I see to goign w/ the piggy back is you can wire in a on/off switch and position the V1 anywhere on the windshield.... i liked having mine above the mirror on the psgr side. I have had my V1 for 6 years so i understand the beeps crreps and the sweeps

Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, I don't like seeing those connectors going into the Homelink harness in the back of the mirror from the front of the car.... so i cut the straight cord that comes with the V1 and hardwired it into the wires that run inside that plastic telescoping thing that covers the wires going to the mirror. Total install time was about 10 minutes, cost was free! and install is super clean. Only tool used was a box cutter and electrical tape, hehe...

Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Raznips
In my 05 sedan there are 2 rows of three, however, the inviscord plugs into the same hole as the black w/ pink stripe wire and the black wire. I am assuming this taps into the autodim function of the mirror which is switched because my radar detector turns off when I turn the car off.

As for being able to see the invisicord from the front of the car, my tint strip at the top of the windshield completely obscures the invisicord from outside the car at least in my case.

I agree with the above conclusion that the smaller connectors work much better. I was sent both so that I could do a side by side. My conclusion was that the "wimpy" connectors were much better.

Last edited by jameyb; 01-20-2006 at 09:17 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwired - in 2 minutes (images)