Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Quick Question: JL 300/2 and 4 speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question: JL 300/2 and 4 speakers

Would there be any problems in terms of power handling if I hook up my front AND rear speakers to my 300/2? I'm currently running my components off the 300/2, but I want hook my rear speakers up to that amp also. Later down the road I'll get the 300/4. Thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess it depends on what components and what speakers you are trying to run now doesn't it?

Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
I guess it depends on what components and what speakers you are trying to run now doesn't it?
I like how you finished your sarcasm with a smile The comps are JL XR650-csi and the rears are stock.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Those comps only run at 70w RMS, and the 300/2 is capable of 150w RMS per channel. The rear speakers are no where close to 80w I think they are more like 5 or 10 It should work fine due to the variable power supply in the 300/2 which will allow for the extremely bizzare impedence you will be presenting on the amp channels (4ohm components wired [I would assume] in parallel with the rear speakers).

I really don't recommend this, however- for whatever it's worth. You'd be better served just leaving the rear deck speakers disconnected... they suck goat ***** anyways.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Those comps only run at 70w RMS, and the 300/2 is capable of 150w RMS per channel. The rear speakers are no where close to 80w I think they are more like 5 or 10 It should work fine due to the variable power supply in the 300/2 which will allow for the extremely bizzare impedence you will be presenting on the amp channels (4ohm components wired [I would assume] in parallel with the rear speakers).

I really don't recommend this, however- for whatever it's worth. You'd be better served just leaving the rear deck speakers disconnected... they suck goat ***** anyways.
lol...ok. So I won't do that hookup. BUT, what if I replaced the rears with 4 ohm coaxes? ...RMS rating within the amp's power range of course. Or would it pretty much be the same? Thanks for your quick repsonses btw.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Works sucks and is boring. Kinda funny that they are paying me to post on these forums (although they don't know that )

I'm against rear speakers in general after ditiching all of mine for a nice set of comps in the front. I NEVER miss my rear speakers. Passengers don't either.

That being said, yes, some new 4 ohm coaxials will present a 2 ohm load on each channel for the amp, which the 300/2 is more than capable of handling.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate rear speakers.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that set up, you will also have no fade, which front and rear plays at same volume.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Ok, thanks. I tried listening to just the comps, but I really didn't like the way it sounded. I guess it takes some getting used to...no rear fill.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 AM
I got a opposite question. Now I have 300/4 powering the front and sub, im going to add 250/1 in the near future. so I would have the option to power my new edi 6500s with 300/4 bridged to 150x2 for the front or do front and rear speakers. And since i hardly turn all the way up while im driving (yes i like engine noise), does that mean i am not going to use up the 150 watt thats avaliable? (well currently i still have the MB quart pce216 and 75watt to each, and i cant turn up all the way it hurts)

Down to the point, if i do not turn up all the way till clipping am i not using the full 75watt per channel?

Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by etang789
I got a opposite question. Now I have 300/4 powering the front and sub, im going to add 250/1 in the near future. so I would have the option to power my new edi 6500s with 300/4 bridged to 150x2 for the front or do front and rear speakers. And since i hardly turn all the way up while im driving (yes i like engine noise), does that mean i am not going to use up the 150 watt thats avaliable? (well currently i still have the MB quart pce216 and 75watt to each, and i cant turn up all the way it hurts)

Down to the point, if i do not turn up all the way till clipping am i not using the full 75watt per channel?
Unfortunately, it isn't really a clear cut answer. Depending on speaker impedences, gain settings, sensitivity, etc., the answers will differ.

Basically, it is not an issue of "using up" all the available power. Some speakers function at their best with more power while others require less power to achieve the same output. It comes down to speaker design. Typically, I like to give speakers what their "RMS" rating is. For the eDi's, they are rated at 150 watts RMS. If you provide them with that amount of power, they have the ability to perform at their best.

Could you give them less power? Sure, you could. However, they probably wont sound as good as they should. There will be a big difference between 75 watts per channel and 150 watts per channel. Give them what they want and you will have the ability to fully enjoy what they are capable of. They are great comps.

Just understand that wattage does not always equal loudness. As stated before, speaker design, as well as the overall design of your system, will dictate how loud and how well a particular setup will perform.

Oh, and avoid rear speakers like the plague. Especially with a good comp set like the eDi's up front.

Last edited by g35audioman; 02-24-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by mrdigital
Ok, thanks. I tried listening to just the comps, but I really didn't like the way it sounded. I guess it takes some getting used to...no rear fill.
Unless you have a soundstage upfront that images well, you probably wont like the way having no rear fill sounds at first. Ideally, you want the voices in your music to appear to come from above the center console. It takes a lot of tweaking/tuning to achieve that effect though.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by g35audioman
Unless you have a soundstage upfront that images well, you probably wont like the way having no rear fill sounds at first. Ideally, you want the voices in your music to appear to come from above the center console. It takes a lot of tweaking/tuning to achieve that effect though.
Indeed...I'm still trying to tweak my system and I've had it for quite some time. Between the settings on the 300/2 500/1 and Kicker KQ30, it gets a little frustrating. But I'm getting there.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Just remember, after you do get there, you will probably need to retune it a few months later. That is always the case. It really never ends.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 PM
G35audioman, so you are saying that loudness does not equal watts? so even if the vol is half way up there is still gonna be 150 watt going to it?

And what kind of tweaking can be involved to make the voices in your music to appear to come from above the center console? the only setting i have played so far is gain and headunit volume settings. what else can i do with stock head unit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick Question: JL 300/2 and 4 speakers