Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AUX in using Satellite harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUX in using Satellite harness

Attention hobbists.... I know theres got to be a way to trick the head unit into thinking there is something attached to the harness so that it allows audio to pass through. Just like the Aux-in cd changer harnesses work, theres got to be way way for the Satellite in! I'm thinking some sort of resistor and connecting a wire or two will maybe trick it into thinking it's installed, then all we'll need to do is find the wires that are left and right channel.

Any engineers out there or car audio enthusiasts thought of this already? Any obstacles, objections? I'm thinking of tinkering with mine, I believe the harness is way back in the trunk right? I have a 04' 6MT.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Re: AUX in using Satellite harness

This doesn't sound interesting to anyone?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds interesting to me, I just don't have an answer for you.

I've heard rumor that www.blitzsafe.com will be making just such an adapter for us at some point, but I can't find info about it on their website yet.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 AM

That is so what I am looking for!!! Found some promising information on their press release section (similar application for Lexus). I also posted an <a href="http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=46&Pag ePosition=1">inquiry on their board</a>, which they seem to be pretty good about responding to. Let's watch and see what they say. Thanks for the tip ryoken!

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:03 AM

Booooo! They responded - "We are working on all the new systems. But the infinity is not going to be ready any time soon." Guess it's back to the electrical engineers for a home brew, unless another company steps up. Otherwise we wait and deal with the cassette or FM options. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 PM

I just installed the harness and XM satellite system in my 2003.5 G35 sedan. Mine wasn't wiried (missing the harness). I got the harness from my local Infiniti dealer $50.00 and the XM system. I upgraded the antenna at Circuit City for $50.00. They also installed the system for $80.00. It works great. The sterering wheel controls all work as well. There is nothing better than SAT radio. Sound quality is as good as CD's. By the way my local dealer said that you will only be able to get the harness until 10-31-03. After that Infiniti won't be supporting the modification anymore. At least that is what they are saying. The Dealer wanted $300.00 to install the system. I probably could have done the install my self, but I drive a nice car and thought I would have someone else do the install. I used to change my own oil, man getting old sucks..... Or maybe not.

I guess I did it this way because I didn't want to have to try and figure out how to wire the system like your saying. And I didn't want any after market looking remote to have to operate the SAT radio. Plus I never even thought about the tape option as I didn't want a wire always sticking out of my dash.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:29 PM

Well I'm not into Satellite radio. I need a cd-quality audio input on the bose system becuase I own a very expensive empeg mp3 player. When I get some time i'm going to take a look at the plug and see if i can play with it... Where does the harness plug end in the trunk?

Old 08-29-2003, 02:09 PM

Per the instructions from Infiniti if you have a harness the end is in the trunk on the right side under all the covering. Easy stuff to take off. It is on the side wall. The plug is white is about 1" X 1/2" big. I think it has 16 pins. What about buying the wiring harness for the SAT radio, if you don't have it already installed, and them you could work the empeg MP3 player from there. It may easier than ripping the dash apart time and time again. Good Luck. Your right though MP3 is still probably the best audio out there. Well actually any complete digital signal is great.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Premier Member

I'm lost.. sorry [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] Are you guys talking about hooking up mp3 players and external players through RCA or something? If you are, PLEASE TELL ME HOW! I have a dell Axim that can play mp3's that would be so sweet to have that glowing next to my dash at night.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 08-29-2003, 05:06 PM

anyone ever consider mp3s playing through the dvd-rom [nav sys]? I'd like to modify the dvd-rom to be able to play regular dvds, as well as dvd-mp3 discs. Dont know what the GUI would look like for that, but I would love for it to list all the albums on the disc and allow me to scroll through and play any one. how about a 100 albums on one dvd disc in mp3, rather than loading 6 discs into the head unit ;.} sounds more logical to me. Hopefully someone makes / has made a chip for the dvd-rom unit, that way no real major mods need to be made as far as moving stuff around or installing additional equip.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:12 PM

I think that would be the best scenario. Completely stock yet able to play sat and/or mp3's. Menu driven through the Navi would be give me a woody. Nissan and Infiniti need to start offering mp3 options like Acura, Honda & Mazda have been doing for a year now. Until then we'll have to wait for BlitzSafe or Pac to come up with something.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:48 PM

Yes, this 'was' what we were talking about. I am now going back and forth with Bose via email about this question. They did not seem to understand what I was asking. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:26 PM
G Kreuzer

Ya might want to check out my post else where ...

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

THX723

Old 09-10-2003, 06:37 PM

Right on Nate. I"ve also come up with another idea. But this will cost about $300. I'd have to buy a satellite box, and tap into the audio wires (hopefully its an analog transmission) that goes back to the head unit. Therefore the headunit will be tuned with the sat radio but will be receiving audio via the other inputs. I'd put a switch to switch between Sat and Aux of course. Only thing is, i'm not sure if i'd have to keep a subscription to the sat for it to remain on.....

Old 09-11-2003, 12:44 AM

no, an unactivated XM box will still play the 7 preview channels.

I have hacked the Bose changer in my maxima, same bus. I posted that info on the FreshAlloy thread. What wont work *well* however is just feeding analog on that signal. Its balanced line level, so just connecting a Skyfi / iPod / Ipaq will not allow full volume. Even a high quality line driver will have engine noise : / You need something else to make this work.. I gave up eventually...

----------------------------------------------------
bs g35c lth/prem - a poser with no lsd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AUX in using Satellite harness