Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

optima?yellow top or red?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put a 34R (redtop) in my G and love it. It could be a bit taller but other than that it is great.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 PM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody have pics of any of the optima batteries in their car? Yellow or Red?
Im still up in the air on which to get. from what I am reading they are pretty much the same.. the yellow just can withstand more discharges?

I have the JL 500.1 amp and it dims the interior lights when the bass is demanding.. any suggestions? (Or maybe a cap?)

Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 AM
If you are going to upgrade battery, go to Yellow Top first and the dimming problem may be fixed, if not then consider a CAP.

What year is your car?

Old 03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
If your concern is the lights, just change to LED's.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:48 AM
An Army of One...
Originally Posted by BigSash
If you are going to upgrade battery, go to Yellow Top first and the dimming problem may be fixed, if not then consider a CAP.

What year is your car?

Is see that there are two different yellowtops. The lower cranking amp one(like 650) and the one with the 800 (think the D34R)

Does it REALLY matter..

Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Thumbs up Go RED!

Reds are for cars with NO other accessories that draw power when the car is off. They can be used as a Cap for systems in the trunk (no off gassing). Yellow is a dual use "semi-deep cycle" type. That's the one I use with all the Ham Radio gear in my car. I don't have to worry as much about leaving stuff on and walking away to come back to a dead battery. I can sit an operate for a couple of hours with the motor off and not run the battery down. Blue is way over kill for the car. It's for marine deep cycle use, trolling motor, lights etc.

If you need big amps quick (like with a big sub amp) go with RED! It will give you the instant power you need. To start and supply amps to the amp

Old 03-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Reds are for cars with NO other accessories that draw power when the car is off. They can be used as a Cap for systems in the trunk (no off gassing). Yellow is a dual use "semi-deep cycle" type. That's the one I use with all the Ham Radio gear in my car. I don't have to worry as much about leaving stuff on and walking away to come back to a dead battery. I can sit an operate for a couple of hours with the motor off and not run the battery down. Blue is way over kill for the car. It's for marine deep cycle use, trolling motor, lights etc.

If you need big amps quick (like with a big sub amp) go with RED! It will give you the instant power you need. To start and supply amps to the amp
wtf r u talking about. why would any1 want a red top, the cca's are so close to yellow and its NOT deep cycle. <-lame

If you have a DVD player in your car or you ever want to be able to just chill while you wait for someone and not have to run your engine while you bang your subs and watch a movie or a concert, you want Yellow top..

Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM
oh yeah and Yellow and Blue's are exactly the same batteries.

The advantage of deep cycle is it can be completely discharged, jumped, and then fully recharged, where as red's will never do that.

They use these for marine vehicles cause you don't want to get stuck in the middle of the sea with a battery that you can jump but wont keep a charge.

Deep cycle batteries rule.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Real_G

Is see that there are two different yellowtops. The lower cranking amp one(like 650) and the one with the 800 (think the D34R)

Does it REALLY matter..
Those numbers are respective of the battery size therefore application.

The Yellow Top batteries for our cars are the D51R and D35R they will have different amps than the 34 because they have to be a different size to fit our cars.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 AM
He is right though if only your interior lights are dimming you should just change the bulbs, if it is your head lights and everything, first try the yellow top, then a cap if the problem still isn't cleaered up.

Stock type batteries lose 20% of their charge a year, that's why they are usually 5 year batteries. 100%/5 = 20%/year. So the problem will get worse for you over time

Old 03-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by Real_G
Anybody have pics of any of the optima batteries in their car? Yellow or Red?
Im still up in the air on which to get. from what I am reading they are pretty much the same.. the yellow just can withstand more discharges?

I have the JL 500.1 amp and it dims the interior lights when the bass is demanding.. any suggestions? (Or maybe a cap?)
This is a picture of the 34R yellow top.

Attached Thumbnails optima?yellow top or red?-volts-running.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Pasta: you have lots of electronics right? Do you have a CAP as well? What kind of RMS wattage is your system pulling from that Optima?

Old 03-18-2006, 02:08 PM
An Army of One...
Okay..

I can testify on the Blue top. I had one in my last car (cause it matched my color scheme), it worked like a charm until I put the car in storage (the year I was in Iraq) came back.. it was dead as a doornail.. completely dischargeable my ***!! LOL. (I called optima and they said prior to storage I should have had it recharged and serviced prior to long storage, now I know) Warranty was expired too.. I was pissed.. I figured.. it was an Optima.. lets see. It was awesome though.. I had DVD, 2 amps, screens... and would sit without the car running for hours at car shows.. now for a Yellow top for the G35!

Old 03-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Florida G35 Club
You have lots of electronics right?
My car is all factory electronics, My goal was to have a battery that would hold the voltage that the alternator would charge. The factory battery voltage would drop off to about 12.6 volts after 4 hours and would never hold voltage above 13 volts. My yellow top will hold voltage above 14.2 volts for days. Its one of my ways of saving HP from not driving the alternator full time. I can say, My car seems to run more consistent. I did set up a very detailed ground system on my car and feel it was well worth the effort.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSash
wtf r u talking about. why would any1 want a red top, the cca's are so close to yellow and its NOT deep cycle. <-lame

If you have a DVD player in your car or you ever want to be able to just chill while you wait for someone and not have to run your engine while you bang your subs and watch a movie or a concert, you want Yellow top..
In your crude way, you just repeated what I said. Yellow is a "hybrid" deep cycle. The lead sheets are thicker that the Red. A red will give you more instantaneous power than a yellow. A yellow will give you more amp/hours of power. A blue will give you even more amp/hours of power, but not near the instantaneous power.

If you have an amp and you need lots of power to keep the bass notes from clipping due to voltage drop, you need a.) caps or b.) a Red Top. If you want to run (as you said) a DVD player for a couple of hrs, you need a yellow.

Here are some links to help educate yourself:

Battery Terminology

Here is a Mobil Ham Radio website, look under Alternators and Batteries:

http://www.k0bg.com/

If you REALLY want to get down and dirty with a second battery system:

http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm

If anything is "lame", it's your use of the Kings English.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: optima?yellow top or red?