Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Photo Traffic Enforcement Defense

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Photo Traffic Enforcement Defense

Does anyone know of a truly effective defense against the photo traffic cameras. And I mean besides, don't speed, go through Red lights, etc., etc.

I got nabbed when I swear I stopped at a red (briefly), and made a right turn on the Red! Not sure why I tripped the camera, but it sure ticked me off! I can see if I speed up and purposely blow through a Red, but...

Anyway, do those Photo-blocker sprays actually work? I don't want to use one of those plate covers as they're too noticeable, and usually result in a fine and instant road-side removal.

Any electronic gizmos that work?

TIA

Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a special pedal down near the floor. If you have an AT it is the one on the left. If you have a MT it is the middle one. It is called "brake". What you do is you press it hard enough and long enough to come to a complete stop. Once stopped, there is another special pedal all the way on the right (regardless of MT or AT) called gas. If it is safe to proceed (check the traffic situation), and there is no sign prohibitng your intended move (ie: "No right on red"), you can press the gas and go.

This is the best defense against red light cameras.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the sprays dont work. there is a plastic piece that goes over your license plate that does the same job. i've heard many stories about that and it truly works. ive heard many stories about the spray and theyre all bad. someone also said that it wears off almost all the time you wash your car

Old 03-18-2006, 05:56 PM
when the car was new and i hadn't gotten my plates yet, i used to go through those photo enforced yellow lights all the time.

i'm generally a safe driver, and i feel like those photoenforced lights make me start to worry about things other than safety - like not getting a ticket. Which i think is counterproductive to the city's stated goal of motorist safety. Before those lights, safety was the only concern. Now, i speed up to go through the yellow quickly because if you go slow, you might hit the red and then trip the camera, but if you speed you'll clear the intersection before it turns red. But if the city wanted to encourage safety, they would incentivize you to slow down, rather than speed up, when you're coming on an intersection.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by ckg35
Does anyone know of a truly effective defense against the photo traffic cameras. And I mean besides, don't speed, go through Red lights, etc., etc.

I got nabbed when I swear I stopped at a red (briefly), and made a right turn on the Red! Not sure why I tripped the camera, but it sure ticked me off! I can see if I speed up and purposely blow through a Red, but...

Anyway, do those Photo-blocker sprays actually work? I don't want to use one of those plate covers as they're too noticeable, and usually result in a fine and instant road-side removal.

Any electronic gizmos that work?

TIA
Do what ppl did in Fairfax County, VA. Some group signed up a petition and lobbied to have the traffic cams taken out. Now, there are still cams out there, but not in operation. The County government buckled and decided not to use cameras to fine motorists due to all the gray area situations and constituent disgust at the use of cameras. At least this is what I've heard. Unfortunately, Arlington County and Washington DC love cameras. LAME!!!

Old 03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
if you took a legal right on red, you should be ok. just go in & ask them about it.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In Savannah they have camera WITH video clips you can access to see just what you did.. no fight to it.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 PM
The cameras don't take pictures of people who are in the intersection when the light is red, so there is no need to speed up. The cameras take pictures of people who cross into the intersection AFTER the camera has turned read. So if you speed up to beat a yellow light, the only way you'll get a picture taken is if you cross into the intersection after it turns red, which means you're running a red (not beating a yellow).

I agree, the cameras are ****. In fact, here in NC there was a lawsuit over some lights with cameras that citizens actually were able to prove that the govt purposely changed the timing of the lights to be poorly timed so they could basically entrap people into running red lights. Big to-do- so they changed the timing so it was correct... no, they didn't remove the cameras... bunch of crap.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by shibal_z
Do what ppl did in Fairfax County, VA. Some group signed up a petition and lobbied to have the traffic cams taken out. Now, there are still cams out there, but not in operation. The County government buckled and decided not to use cameras to fine motorists due to all the gray area situations and constituent disgust at the use of cameras. At least this is what I've heard. Unfortunately, Arlington County and Washington DC love cameras. LAME!!!
Actually, the Virginia legislature killed the red-light cameras by not renewing the law that permitted them in the first place. So there are no operative red-light cameras anywhere now in Virginia, including Arlington.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 PM
i had that happen to me once too. i was making a right on a red light, and it was clearly clear and safe for me to go. i proceeded to turn and the light flashed 2-3 times. i went crazy, i was 16 at the time and had just gotten my license dirving mommys car. i went crazy for a week waiting for it to come. 3 years later, still nothing so it may have been a glitch

Old 03-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Is it clear that it is your face in the picture?

A friend of mine was driving his Dad's car and got caught running a red. His dad went to court and said that he couldn't tell who it was and a lot of different people at his work use his car.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by ckg35
You can at least read some thoughts here:

http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/index.html

Jim

Old 03-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im here in houston (we dont have cameras here), and im just wondering how they know that it was even you in the car when it ran the red light. What if say i'm driving my fathers/gfs/friends car and run a red light? It doesnt seem right that they should be responsible for my bad driving just because i did it in their car. can they see into you car with these cameras? i would imagine the glare would bee too bad, but maybe im wrong.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Raznips
im here in houston (we dont have cameras here), and im just wondering how they know that it was even you in the car when it ran the red light. What if say i'm driving my fathers/gfs/friends car and run a red light? It doesnt seem right that they should be responsible for my bad driving just because i did it in their car. can they see into you car with these cameras? i would imagine the glare would bee too bad, but maybe im wrong.

Originally Posted by BigSash
Is it clear that it is your face in the picture?

A friend of mine was driving his Dad's car and got caught running a red. His dad went to court and said that he couldn't tell who it was and a lot of different people at his work use his car.
I don't think your wrong

Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
You can goto court and make the above arguements and they often work. I have seen these right turn on red violations and in all of them everyone did a rolling right turn. By law you are suppose to come to a complete stop or they can give you a ticket for running it.

Otherwise you can get plate coverings that will mirror out your plate at different angles. You can test to see if it works by simply using your own camera. The problem with these is that it will put you at risk for getting ticketed for a obstructive plate covering by a real cop....

Honestly, the best way is to be aware of where there are cameras and obey the lights..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Photo Traffic Enforcement Defense