Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the setup / questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on the setup / questions

Im thinking about putting in either
I was thinking about getting a settup with two Alpine type E's. A friend of mine told me that there is a BIG difference between the R's and the E's but he said our car is small and the R's might just be too much power and not really needed. I was also wondering if we needed an amp to power the two Type E's or If our amp would even power one type E. Im really new to car audio so dont flame please lol. I get an incredible discount through a friend at Best Buy so tell me what you guys would rather do. Also MONEY is a factor because Im still in college and affording this car is a pain in the *** as it is lol.

1 Type R with
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...spagenameZWDVW
and an Amp to power the whole thing . The whole thing would cost me around $80 for the sub, $130 for the enclosure, and anoother $125 for the amp. (best buy gives employees around 50-60% off) (Around $350 total wiith tax)

2 Type E's with
The same box
and a Sony Xplod 2 channel amp - Whole thing is gonna be about $300

2 Type E's with Best Buys Box ( which doesnt fit as well but still fits) and the Sony Xplod 2 channel amp - About $200

Or if I can get away with it

1 Type E
With the ebay box and no amp

Oh Last thing, I have that the premium package with our blose sound system. Thanks for all the input in advance guys

Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TwiBlue
Im thinking about putting in either
I was thinking about getting a settup with two Alpine type E's. A friend of mine told me that there is a BIG difference between the R's and the E's but he said our car is small and the R's might just be too much power and not really needed. I was also wondering if we needed an amp to power the two Type E's or If our amp would even power one type E. Im really new to car audio so dont flame please lol. I get an incredible discount through a friend at Best Buy so tell me what you guys would rather do. Also MONEY is a factor because Im still in college and affording this car is a pain in the *** as it is lol.

1 Type R with
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...spagenameZWDVW
and an Amp to power the whole thing . The whole thing would cost me around $80 for the sub, $130 for the enclosure, and anoother $125 for the amp. (best buy gives employees around 50-60% off) (Around $350 total wiith tax)

2 Type E's with
The same box
and a Sony Xplod 2 channel amp - Whole thing is gonna be about $300

2 Type E's with Best Buys Box ( which doesnt fit as well but still fits) and the Sony Xplod 2 channel amp - About $200

Or if I can get away with it

1 Type E
With the ebay box and no amp

Oh Last thing, I have that the premium package with our blose sound system. Thanks for all the input in advance guys
The stock Bose amp will not power anything other than the stock speakers, you will need an aftermarket amp- this is not up for debate. Read the sticky on the top of this forum about keeping the stock HU- it has important information regarding differential-balanced signals in our cars. The Sony Xplod does not accept balanced-differential signals on its inputs (read the sticky for more info).

As far as the rest of the system, you're on a budget and you're describing a budget system. Will it sound "good" is subjective... I suspect you will be happy with any sort of bass that is beyond what the stock system produces. You will probably find, however, that you will need to install sound deadening material (vblok, dynamat, b-quiet, etc) with the addition of the aftermarket sub&amp.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM
+1 If I where you I would go with a 10 inch JL with a mono or 2 channel amp. IMO, I like alpine but JL is much better. I payed $500.00 for my 10inch JL and alpine amp-mono with a custom box (nothing to fancy).
Def. get the dynamat it makes a huge difference. Good luck.

Oh, do u work at best buy. I would love to get that discount as well .
Hook it up!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen to amthar, he is being way more polite than I would be.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
Listen to amthar, he is being way more polite than I would be.
yeah, I'm trying to keep my personal preferences about the equipment he is selecting to myself as he is obviously working in a tight budget. Otherwise my reply would be different

And it's friday and I'm tearing apart my dash this weekend, which means I'm in a great mood!

Old 03-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Haha thanx guys, I will def. Look into the JL. I was just told that alpine was the best so I figured for the budget im on , its the best for my money. And Yeah your right, Im not a big fan of Having a Bass that would shake the shake next door but a little bit better than the bose we have now. So I take it that most of you are in support of the 1 10' rather than 2. Also what have you guys heard about the box on ebay? Thanks alot

Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by TwiBlue
Haha thanx guys, I will def. Look into the JL. I was just told that alpine was the best so I figured for the budget im on , its the best for my money. And Yeah your right, Im not a big fan of Having a Bass that would shake the shake next door but a little bit better than the bose we have now. So I take it that most of you are in support of the 1 10' rather than 2. Also what have you guys heard about the box on ebay? Thanks alot
yes one 10 instead of two 12s. Alpine is far far from the best. They have some good high high end speakers, but the crutchfield, circuit city, best buy stuff are all crap (only reason why I say this is because you said you were told they are the "best".) Even for your budget, I would argue they are not the "best." But they are a choice, regardless.

I have no experience with the ebay box. I wouldn't buy it, as it eliminates the back seat passthrough (in the rare, and as of yet not used, occation that I have something long to transport.)

Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Awesome thanks for the help, and thanx for not flaiming lol. What do you think you would recomend for a budget at about $300. it doenst have to be any where close to the best, just the best for my money. I dont exactly know where else to buy a box that would even fit our trunk. i went to tweeters today and they said the box itslef would be $300. Btw Amthar if you ever need anything, just PM me.. Ill ask my friend. Thanx for your help

Old 03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
my personal preference would be a JL 250/1 and a JL 10w3v2. You could probably get both of these off of Ebay for around $300~$350. But remember they don't come with a warranty and you're technically going against JL's policy (they don't allow internet sales). Still, I'm partial to JL, not because they are the best, but they are very respectable and a solid company. The "slash" series JL amps work very well in our cars as they use regulated power supplies (no need for a capacitor), run fairly cool, and accept balanced differential inputs (eliminating the _need_ for a LOC). DLS and Phoenix Audio Xenon (I think it's Xenon.. whichever has the regulated power supply) amps are some others to look at, but I've heard mixed things about PA.

bestbuy doesn't sell metal nibblers do they? need a dam* metal nibbler.