Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Radio vs PC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio vs PC

i am looking at putting in a computer in my coupe. mainly i want to use this computer for dvd tv navi mp3 internet(t-moblie aircard). i was wondering if anyone knew if there are any head units out there that have a video input as well as a sound input that will allow you to use the screen of the unit for the computer screen. or would it be better just to get a different screen and use the tape adapter. the reason i would like to use an aftermarket radio is so i can add differents speakers amps and subs later on.

also how and where are you guys mounting your power switches or are you just tapping into the acc wire for the radio or the ignition wire? also what about the tv antenna for the tv tuner card? for navigation i was goin to get copilot 2003. it seems to be the best one and the one everyone recommends.

or the other option is just to bite the bullet and cough up the cash for a unit that will play dvds, tv, and navi in it. if you were to go that way what system do you guys feel is the best? in my previous car i ran a full pioneer premier system and was very pleased with it. alpine screens are a little better i think but cost a bit more.

so far the people runnin the pcs how do you like it? is it worth it? and if you could let me know how you handled the power and tv antenna situation that would be great.

thanks for the help

Daniel

5AT Coupe / DP / Willow / Aero / Premium / 3M Clear Bra

Old 09-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Radio vs PC

You may have already <a href="http://www.unc.edu/~inorkuo/g35/5.jpg">seen</a> this, but he had a pretty good setup. The website seems to be having problems today though

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the setup shown in that guys g35. I have a similar setup in my truck. I don't know of any existing head units out their with which you can put a signal into their screen at a resolution that will enable you to still use your computer on the screen. I have a computer hooked up to a 15 inch screen with the sound going into my head unit. A lot of head units will accept sounds in. Most pioneers do with an adapter.

For the power setup, I really like what I have done. I have an 8 gauge power cable coming in from the battery. I then spliced into the accessory circuit and into a relay that controls power flow through the cable. I also have a switch mounted out of sight by the steering wheel so that I can switch the power on from there as well. This makes it so that I can have my computer and stereo working when the truck is off and has no keys in it.

I totally love my setup!!!! I would highly reccomend it. It beats having all the separate stuff and trying to hook it together. Even if you get it communicating, you still don't have near the capabilities though as you would if you installed a computer. I am currently finishing up a cool docking station in my truck so that I can just plug in my laptop and use it for audio/video so I can take my pc out. I have a wireless hub in my truck as well with sprint pcs internet. If my friends are just somewhat close to my truck, they can get internet on their laptops from another car!!! We also have done some gaming. It's fun. Anyway, figure it out and do it, you won't regret it.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure all of you are smart enough to remove the '5.jpg' from the URL I posted to see the full setup. Sorry bout that!

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:52 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

ash do you have any pics of your setup it sounds pretty good
thanks for the help

Daniel

5AT Coupe / DP / Willow / Aero / Premium / 3M Clear Bra

Old 09-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sflg35, that looks so cool. Im a computer geek and I would love that in my G, but it also looks like alot of work.