Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

anybody body else competing in F stock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody body else competing in F stock

I tried to google the web searching for autocross results to see how g35's are doing in FS, but got tired after a while. So, I thought I'd ask here. Anybody care to share their experiences?

I've only done one SCCA event and the car appeared to be very competitive against f-bodies, a mustang and a GTO (http://autocross.com/tr/tr207.shtml).

Last edited by balaguru; 05-12-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you pointed out I seem to pushing the limits of FS but to give you a hint I just ran 7 seconds behind a National Champion on a 80 sec (1 mile) track. Also I'm in Novice class. I ran 85 seconds he ran 77 seconds.

The car was a IROC-Z, slicks, exhaust, suspension, front anti-roll, all that could be done in stock class. I'm told with slicks I could cut off 4-5 seconds on that gap. Then with actual experience that would shorten even more. So I suspect that FS is a competitive class for us to run.

Anyway, if you've only done one event you should be running with the Novice folks.

I see you kicked their **** though

Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know why the coupe was moved from d stock? The sedan remains in d stock, and that's a pretty competitive class as it is.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Check over at www.sccaforum.com search "infiniti g35". I remember reading some reasoning behind moving the G to another class. There isn't much talk about the G on that site so you should be able to find it.

Luck

Old 05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
The coupe was originally in B stock with the 350z. It was moved to F stock in 2004 because, to paraphrase: it was heavier, longer and had a more intrusive traction control system than the 350z.

Last edited by balaguru; 05-13-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
You're lucky to have the Kozlacs in your area. If it were me I'd stay in FS and compete against them. You could use the experience to work on the driving and gauge how you might do at national's if you were to decide to compete at that level. In my area we have Mark Madarash in his ESP firebird. I plan on comparing my times to his in the same manner even though I'm only in FS.

BTW, I've done several events. This was just my first event put on by the SCCA, hence, why I don't compete in novice.

Concerning dedicated race tires: I spent a solid season and a few events the next running on street tires. Then I moved to dedicated hoosier autox tires on stock size wheels. I felt the experience running on street tires made me smoother. Having said that, I'll never go back to street rubber after having done a few events on the hoosiers. They rock!

Originally Posted by GWord256
As you pointed out I seem to pushing the limits of FS but to give you a hint I just ran 7 seconds behind a National Champion on a 80 sec (1 mile) track. Also I'm in Novice class. I ran 85 seconds he ran 77 seconds.

The car was a IROC-Z, slicks, exhaust, suspension, front anti-roll, all that could be done in stock class. I'm told with slicks I could cut off 4-5 seconds on that gap. Then with actual experience that would shorten even more. So I suspect that FS is a competitive class for us to run.

Anyway, if you've only done one event you should be running with the Novice folks.

I see you kicked their **** though

Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
You're lucky to have the Kozlacs in your area. If it were me I'd stay in FS and compete against them.
What are you stalking me?!?!

Concerning dedicated race tires: I spent a solid season and a few events the next running on street tires. Then I moved to dedicated hoosier autox tires on stock size wheels. I felt the experience running on street tires made me smoother. Having said that, I'll never go back to street rubber after having done a few events on the hoosiers. They rock
The Z350 fellow I meet last week described DOT Racing slicks as "turning your car on GOD mode."

Now I just need to find some slicks that'll fit on the stock 19's. If you have a good web site I'd appreciate. TireRack has like one set that'll fit.

Last sunday I managed to beat all Novice drivers. Not just Novice Stock but all of Novice Non-Stock too. This car is sweet on the big tracks

Old 05-15-2007, 01:54 AM
It's very tough finding R comps in 19" sizes. You're basically stuck with either the Hoosier A6 or R6.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
It might be more sensible to just go to ESP and get the widest wheels you can afford in 17"-18" sizes. I'll probably eventually go to an 18x10 with 285/30R18 up front and 17x11 with 315/35R17 out rear.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
So what size rims could I use and stay in FS? Since 18s are an option could I drop down to 18's but keep the same widths (i.e. 8in front and 8.5in rear)? Or if I went to 18s would I have to get the 7" wide rims?

The instant I pick up that SCCA rule book I get a head ache :P

Tires are pretty much the only think a person can do in stock class that actually improves performance, right?

Edit: Damn 10" on the front and 11" on that back. Would you even be able to turn the wheel all the way to the left or right? Thinking about rims gives me a headache too!

Edit x2: The A6 and R6 don't have a size for the 19s that would fit on my rims. Not on tirerack anyway (unless I go with 235 on front and back). Can other sizes be special ordered?

Last edited by GWord256; 05-16-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
You would only be able to run 18's in the stock class if 18's were available as an option on the model and year of your car. You may not mix and match parts from option packages.

I would say that driver experience wins over tires, but yeah as far as mods go "they" say nothing is going to improve a car's performance more than tires.

I'm pretty sure that 10/11's should fit. Will probably need to roll the fenders. My street wheel setup is 19x9.5 up front and 19x10.5 in the rear and they fit with room to spare.

You might try http://www.hoosiertire.com. Like I mentioned earlier it might be more sensible to move up to ESP and run a smaller diam wheel instead of spending $290/tire for a tire that's too narrow and the wrong compound (R6).

Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Alright, I finally managed to read through the rules today. Because of the weight I've taken out and still plan on taking out I'm out of Stock, Street Prepared, and Street Modified. But It looks like everything I want to to do the car this summer will put me into Prepared.

But now I'm confused about what class I'm in for prepared. They mention things like minimum weight. And penalties for Wider and Larger rims. And formulas for calculating minimum weight. It's all quite irritating. Do you have any incite on this?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
min weight for XP assuming that you'll be running a turbo:

1200 +
200 x 3.5 (displacement) x 1.4 (turbo factor) +
50 (traction control) x 3.5 x 1.4 +
50 (abs)
= 1200 + 980 + 245 + 50
= 2475

The g35 is unlikely to competitive in this class but I'm sure it'd be alot of fun.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't understand why you chose XP as opposed to CP, AP, or any of the other Prepared catagories.

Does XP have the greatest minimum weight or something else special about it?

Edit: And no I won't be running turbo. Not this year and probably not next year unless I get a big fat bonus (unlikely).

Last edited by GWord256; 05-19-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:29 PM
The g35 isn't specifically listed in any of the other prepared classes; hence, I picked XP which is open to just about anything. If you write to the SCCA you might be able to get the car classed in FP since it contains cars that are somewhat similar like the E46, IS300, 300ZX. But, it also contains some not so similar cars like the NSX, S2000 and Exige.

I follow CP a bit since I have a Camaro roller and LS1 in storage waiting to be built up. I left CP out because it is generally reserved for American live axle cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.