Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Abrupt VDC Gremlins!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
DTG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abrupt VDC Gremlins!

I have posted about this issue before on the Suspension forum but I didn't really get a clear answer and even on my350z I'm getting nothing.

Thought I'd post where some of the track regulars can chime in and help. Here's the issue:

First, this ONLY happens on RIGHT hand curves or turns.

When I'm in a right-handed sweep (such as on-ramp or off-ramp), of course I brake prior to entry and then at the apex, my VDC kicks on and starts applying brakes like it was trying to cure understeer of the left front tire. Even when I'm only going 40mph this sometimes happens.

On left turns, I can nail the same turn at 60+ and the car is rock solid.

I'm concerned because this happens off and on and I cannot really determine when it happens. It seems that the VDC is trying to correct understeer but the car does not understeer. Also, it kicks in way too early for me to tell what it's trying to correct.

I purchased the car with 42k miles bone stock and it did this, so I thought maybe the suspension is too soft. I upgraded the suspension and now at 46k miles it still does it. It's scary at times because I never know when it's going to do it.

Of course I took it to the dealership and they said "we could not replicate the issue" so of course they didn't do jack.

I would turn off the VDC and try it, but I don't want to risk it on a public street and I really have to means of going to a track any time in the near future.

Here's my setup:

PS 225/45-18 front and 245/45-18 rear on OEM 18"
KW Variant-2 lowered about 1.2" all around and set to med all around
GT Spec mid-chassis brace and rear tie brace
Hotchkis sway bars set to med front and rear
Richie FSB
Stillen RSB
SPC rear camber kit
Alignment is -2.0 front and -1.7 rear
Tires are in excellent condition

Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
weird. . .sounds exactly like this thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...light=sweeping

Old 10-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is totally a guess, but you might try asking the dealer if they can check the wheel speed sensors for a right/left difference. If they give you grief about this you can try a logging tool like http://www.uprev.com/products/cipher_NI.html.