Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Suspension Help

For those of us who track our cars and the ultimate drop isn't a concern I was wondering what the best suspension setup for us? Is it coil overs? Is is just stiffer springs. And to throw a wrench in the works...I would like to have a decent ride because it is my daily driver. Thank you for looking at my thread.

Jax

Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I guess where I am going with this is...

If you read the master coilover/spring/shock sticky you find out that a 2005-06 G35 with 19" rims has higher spring rates than most of the springs that are on the market. So giving up spring tension to gain a 3/4" drop isn't really the answer if you are looking for performance. Don't get me wrong it does make our G's look great. I however purchased this car to have fun at the track as well. These are very capable cars on the track. No they aren't going to be the fastest out there, but they can hold their own.

I have been looking for the right setup to gain some cornering on the G. I am thinking though it will have to come with a good set of coilovers. I don't think that springs are the way to go. Some of you guys that have blazed this path before are more than welcome to shed some light on this subject. Thank you.

Last edited by JaxBeQwik; 04-19-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
1) swaybars
2) Coilovers
3) Strut Bar (used VRT bar if you can find one or a Relentless Auto strut bar - they -re-made the VRT in their own way)
4) GT Spec bars for additional stiffening
5) BUshings bushings Bushings!

What do I have? #1 Stillen (other bars are out there with higher stiffness possibilities & greater variability #2 Tein monoflex w edfc (very Stiff) 3) VRT bar 4) GTspec bars 5) swapped all bushings except for rear diff and subframe ( really need to change diff ATM 100k miles)
Very stiff - drive it daily. I'm not slammed - enjoying it

I used to have JIC FLT-A-2 coilovers but at the time the spring rates weren't enough for me.

How much have I tracked it? not much. I used to do a lot of hill driving with friends - with a BBK, it was awesome.

GL - Adrian

Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Thank you Adrian. I'm looking into the RA strut brace now.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got tein suspension on my G and overall i am very happy with it as my car isn't a daily driver but i can still feel it ride a little too firm. i would suggest to get coil-overs. aside from looking good it will make your car handle better. it will still be a little firm.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Which Tein setup do you have?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I've had the same question too for a long time.

First, sway bars are pretty controversial, but I think in the end, it gives you more personal confidence with less body roll, and can make you drive faster than you normally do, but it actually takes away from maximum traction, and should really be used for tuning car balance (ie over/understeer), not for roll control.

Here's a website with a lot of good information for suspension for track use:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

If I decide to keep tracking my g as opposed to getting a toy car for the track (s2k or e36, haven't decided), then I think I'd probably go with the bilstein PSS (b14). I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get someone to dyno shocks. Though I did look into: http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/
I think he quoted me an additional $600 for revalving the bilstein PSS but that was like a year or 2 ago.

Alot of people that I've talked to hate on the tein and the other japanese shocks. I'm not sure if it's just snobbishness or if they really are bad for track use. One of the other brands i'd consider is those ohlins, but they are super duper expensive.

Not quite sure what the proper ride height for the track is, anyone know how our suspension compares to the 350z? are the parts exactly the same? some people on the 350z forums have gone through the suspension geometry and calculated the proper ride height.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
The biggest difference is going to be getting coilovers for a track application...we're talking about getting 10k-12K springs all around here. I love BC racing coilovers because you can get them custom valved/spring for your needs. I currently run full 8K's all around but if I tracked a lot I'd go 10K or higher.