G35 Track Day in Rome, Italy [Video's] - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

G35 Track Day in Rome, Italy [Video's]

Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM

G35 Track Day in Rome, Italy [Video's]

This is my first time at this track. I had no time to prepare to car for the track. I got there late and made it by 5 minutes. I literally got there and went straight to the track. No time to prep due to Italy traffic. Shocks and sway bars were still set at soft, and tire pressures were still set for street use. If you listen closely, you can hear all of my soda cans bouncing around in which 2 of them exploded. I ended up with a big clean-up with dried up soda all over the interior, loose change everywhere and parts for my GoPro everywhere. Luckily, the styrofoam cooler which was packed with ice and soda survived.

One thing to note about racing in Italy. No rules, no Tech, no classes and pass wherever and whenever you want. If you want to race your SmartCar against your buddies Veyron, no problem! I was on the track with some heavy hitters. Fully prepped Porsche's and Ferrari's and other high powered, fully prepped cars.

As you can see in the video, I took it VERY easy. I even left the A/C and VDC on. One thing I can tell you is that the front end is too soft. Partially due to the soft sway bar settings and struts set at full soft. Brakes. The stock brakes are a major weak point. With conservative laps around the track, I could feel some fade starting mid-way through my session. Other than that, the G did surprisingly well and was very predictable around the turns.

As always in Italy, I was asked more times than I can remember about why kind of car it is. I told them "Infiniti G35" and they would say that they've never seen a G35 in Europe before. Italians were very interested in the G coupe and were taking various pictures which grabbed more attention than the R34 Skyline and Silvia parked across from me.

Mods:
Motordyne 5/16 ISO
Motordyne MREV 2
Motordyne ART V1's
Modified X02
Stillen Intake
Osiris Tune
Espilir 350z springs
Tokico D-Spec's
Stillen Sway Bars
Hawk HPS Pads

Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Looks like a nice track. Judging from the pics, I would definitely tighten up the shocks next time.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:40 AM

looks fun, are there instructors available? seems kinda scary to have such different cars there with different skill levels with open track, no point by's.

shocks don't affect peak roll angles.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
looks fun, are there instructors available? seems kinda scary to have such different cars there with different skill levels with open track, no point by's.

shocks don't affect peak roll angles.
No instructors available here. Italians have a different concept in track driving.

It's actually pretty scary to track here. You'll have Ferrari's and Porsche's come out of nowhere and fly past you from any direction on any part of the track. You have to be mindful especially around hairpins. I had 2 Porsches pass me at the same time on both sides in a hairpin. Good thing I didn't drift to the side or spin out.