DIY: 2006 Projector Cutoff/Color Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I've heard you can bend the spacer bar that holds the shield down up slightly so the shield sits higher but still holds the shield in place. I'll try it one of these days, but my retrofit keeps getting pushed back due to the GF
That could work but I dont know how the optics will differ because the bowl is still sitting farther.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
That could work but I dont know how the optics will differ because the bowl is still sitting farther.
It doesn't change it from what I can tell, I dremmeled off the middle section of one of the spacers, just leaving the perimeter, but I couldn't tell much of a difference if any at 15ft. Maybe at longer distances there will be a difference though

Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey IvoryGT,

Thanks for the great write-up. I have two questions.

1. Does this mode actually cause the OEM 4300k bulbs to look bluish? I've used Ultinon's 6000k color temp to get that look. So just want to know if I won't need the Ultinons after this mod, or if it will just enhance the output of the Ultinon bulbs.

2. I'm kind of nervous about trying this one on my own. Maybe you can PM me a price to do this mod for me if I sent you my headlamps?

Thanks!
B

Old 06-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by shdowflare
Hey IvoryGT,

Thanks for the great write-up. I have two questions.

1. Does this mode actually cause the OEM 4300k bulbs to look bluish? I've used Ultinon's 6000k color temp to get that look. So just want to know if I won't need the Ultinons after this mod, or if it will just enhance the output of the Ultinon bulbs.

2. I'm kind of nervous about trying this one on my own. Maybe you can PM me a price to do this mod for me if I sent you my headlamps?

Thanks!
B
It will cause them to look bluish/purplish at the cutoff, and you'll get the "flicker" effect where the it changes from white to blue-purple as you go over bumps etc. This isn't possible with ultinons, which are a poor substitute since you lose so much output and it colors the entire light pattern and not just the cutoff. There is no flicker effect there.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks. So the light will overall be pure white, and only the cutoffs will be bluish. Does this mod also expand the height and width of the OEM beam pattern?

I found a set of recalled '06 projectors and was thinking of retrofitting them into my '03 6MT. If I can still get that bluish tint without buying the D2S Ultinons, I'd rather preserve the light output of the OEM bulbs.

Just waiting for IvoryGT to get back to me on whether he can help me out with this mod!

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks. So the light will overall be pure white, and only the cutoffs will be bluish. Does this mod also expand the height and width of the OEM beam pattern?

I found a set of recalled '06 projectors and was thinking of retrofitting them into my '03 6MT. If I can still get that bluish tint without buying the D2S Ultinons, I'd rather preserve the light output of the OEM bulbs.

Just waiting for IvoryGT to get back to me on whether he can help me out with this mod!

Thanks,
Brian
Cost wise its about the same because you still have to purchase a set of tsx projectors which cost ~$150. I would say the output is similar to stock and just the flicker alone is worth it IMO.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks.

So:

1. Can you describe the "flicker" you're talking about? Not sure I know what you mean...but it sounds interesting.

2. So the TSX projectors produce about the same color light as the OEM's, right? What about the height/width of the beam pattern? Is that increased?

-B

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks.

So:

1. Can you describe the "flicker" you're talking about? Not sure I know what you mean...but it sounds interesting.

2. So the TSX projectors produce about the same color light as the OEM's, right? What about the height/width of the beam pattern? Is that increased?

-B
Flicker is kinda like a flashing color that is seen. This video of my colormodded projector kind of gives you an idea of how the color changes, but at a much faster rate when actually on the car.
https://g35driver.com/forums/video-share/144660-colormodded-06-projectors.html
Alot of other cars with projector headlights do it, just start paying attention to tsx's and s2000s at night, they have probably the best flicker. You are just using the tsx lense in the g35 projector, so the output and beam pattern is alot like stock

Old 06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Man,

That is f**king sick! That's much better than the Ultinon's decreased output. So all I do is swap the TSX lens into my '06 projectors and just use the OEM 4300k HID bulb?

Thanks,
B

Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Man,

That is f**king sick! That's much better than the Ultinon's decreased output. So all I do is swap the TSX lens into my '06 projectors and just use the OEM 4300k HID bulb?

Thanks,
B
Read IvoryGT's post, its not as simple as just a lense swap, the shield has to be modded and the foreground limiter has to be removed.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Read IvoryGT's post, its not as simple as just a lense swap, the shield has to be modded and the foreground limiter has to be removed.
Foreground limiter is really subject to interpretation. Either way do the mod at your own discretion. There are issues to address as far as doing this mod yourself.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
Foreground limiter is really subject to interpretation. Either way do the mod at your own discretion. There are issues to address as far as doing this mod yourself.
If I had to do it again I would leave it personally, as the increased foreground is blocked by the bezel anyways, and could result in some glare issues in a nonblacked out housing. What issues are you referring to, the vibrating shield? I think I solved that issue by modding the spacer to allow for the shield to sit higher but still be held in place

Old 06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I will have to try that.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey IvoryGT,

How much would you charge if I sent you my '06 headlamps + TSX lenses to do this mod?

Thanks,
B

Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM
PM me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 2006 Projector Cutoff/Color Mod