DIY: Vanity Mirror LED Conversion for 04

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAYRIPPA420
i tried this with my map lights ..herd a weird noise when i was putting in the white light bulb and then they never turned back on...those lights my door lights and my vanity mirror lights ...i just learned to deal with it ....but i wnna fix it ne one have any ideas?i checked all the fuses ??
pull the negative terminal off the battery 15sec and should cut back on.. and sorry stupid phone pic.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what if ^ doesnt work because im having the same problem. im checking fuses as i get time but everything seems to be fine. my fuse box in the kick panel doesnt have a door over it so im kinda lost on whats what.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey guys,

Do you know where to get cheap vanity mirror glass because i broke one today i pushed to hard on it ...

Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Did mine tonight. came out pretty good.

if anyone orders from v-led the 6000k look pretty good

The tube around the bulb was glass though so i just used pliers and twisted it off and the leds just came out. it wasn't clean there was quiet a bit of glass dust lol.

for anyone worried about polarity, when you take the v-led led out the "longer" solder goes towards the right(passenger) and the shorter towards the left(driver). I guess its not something that has to happen but both of mine turned out that way.

I am located in socal so if anyone needs help let me know.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Help plz

Originally Posted by 6MTG354ME
The 2003-2005 do not have the easily replaceable festoon bulbs. They have a board(or known as Substrate) with a wired bulb that is soldered on. The factory replacement is the new substrate with bulb:

So I ordered the same bulbs that people purchase for the 06 from here:
Mid page Vanity Mini 3 LED SMT Festoon http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

You can't just solder the LED bulb in because it is too large.

1. So I took a solder gun to the caps and the metal caps came off. (The surrounding of the bulb is plastic not glass like other fuses and stuff I have worked with.)
2. I used a razor to slice down the middle of the plastic tube covering, then peeled it away. I now had the board with the LED's.
3. I took wire snips and cut the stock bulb off the substrate and left as much wire possible.
4. I laid the LED board on the substrate (I believe with the LED it has to be in a certain way or it won't light up. If you look on the LED board, there is some writing, the writing faced towards the metal bars on the substrate.) I used masking tape to keep it in place, and soldered the wire from the stock bulb to the wire/solder point on the LED board. I did the same for the other side.

The soldered in bulb stayed, I didnt super glue it down. This way if the bulb ever burns out I can simply desolder and solder new one in.

This simply replaces your yellow bulb with a 3-LED pure white bulb while still allowing clearance for all covers etc.

All I had is camera phone, so sorry about the pics.

I'm sure you can get fancier with it running more board inline etc. But this was cheap easy way rather Cd than paying $300 for LED Vanity Mirror Replacment. Thanks
I tried doing this and failed. I soldered the leds to the metal plate and went to try them out I pressed them in and nothing. Now my dome light both glove boxes and step blights are out too. Help plz can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
^ lol you did what i did for a little. did you solder them in the car or take it out btw?

Anyways, the dome light can be fixed by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by crazynuts16
^ lol you did what i did for a little. did you solder them in the car or take it out btw?

Anyways, the dome light can be fixed by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins.
I took them out of course. Did it on a table. Idk if the leds were the wrong way or if I burnt them out. Now my dome light step light and both glove box lights r out.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Did you try disconnecting the battery?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
What if that doesn't work?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
OMG thx god it was only the fuse that busted. I paniced and didn't really get good look at the fuse the 1st time. Luckily it was the one located by ur left foot driver side. Feeeewwwwwfff lol ok so now back to the vanity led mod. I've soldered the wire tips on the metal plate to the led board but no light. Is there a specific way to solder them according to polarity? I tried it one way, nothing, then flipped itand still nothing? What am I doing wrong? Or can the actual small metal plate the lights go on burn out?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
hmm fuse? which fuse was it? can you mark it in a picture or something? or what the description on the door says? or even what amps it was.

Make sure that the led wires that you solder only touch the contacts and not the actual plate itself. I'll take a pic of mine tonight to show what I mean. And yes they are polar specific. Flipping them around could work.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
fuse

Originally Posted by crazynuts16
hmm fuse? which fuse was it? can you mark it in a picture or something? or what the description on the door says? or even what amps it was.

Make sure that the led wires that you solder only touch the contacts and not the actual plate itself. I'll take a pic of mine tonight to show what I mean. And yes they are polar specific. Flipping them around could work.
Its a 10 amp fuse. its located on driver side lower left, near the clutch or foot rest. Its the one that says room lamp!

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...elink-fuse.jpg