DIY: Painting Door Pulls (100% pictorial)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009 | 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Thanks for all the complements guys.

If you guys have good pictures, feel free to post them up so people can get an idea of other color options.

Old 12-23-2009 | 05:56 PM
Nice, but depending on the color of the interior, like if its black the brushed aluminum may look better IMO.

Old 12-23-2009 | 08:03 PM
|
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^The Duplicolor comes in different colors. If you wanted a factory looking finish though, primer and paint would be the way to go. Only problem is then it's just as easy to scratch as the factory finish. The advantage with what I used is that the stuff is very durable as long as you do proper prep work

Last edited by NFSP G35; 12-24-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2009 | 08:15 PM
awesome diy ... pics were the best

Old 12-26-2009 | 09:26 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the easy-to-follow DIY! I've gotta do this now!

Old 12-26-2009 | 10:55 PM
|
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^ Thanks for the complements on the DIY guys

Old 01-13-2010 | 03:25 AM
niceee i like this idea =]

Old 01-13-2010 | 10:50 PM
I really liked the alcohol diagram, very funny! Just a couple side notes for everybody, you don't have to use dupli-color interior paint, you can use any kind of spray paint you like, as long as you properly prep the substrate (trim piece) as shown. For that question about color matching...I'm pretty sure Nissan releases their interior trim colors to the major paint companies. As a result, you should be able to go to any auto body supply shop and get a small touch-up spray can that should match the trim color of the interior. You're gonna need to look through the chip books at the store, or check online (a good resource is tcpglobal.com) to get the color code.

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:22 PM
|
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^As an addendum to the side note: you can indeed use other paints, however, if you do, you’re going to need to prime the surface with a very good primer. If you use conventional spray paint on bare plastic, it will chip. (if it even bonds in the first place) The reason I recommended the dupli-color vinyl and fabric coating is because I have had experience in the past using this product, as well as a typical prime-and-paint solution. The dupli-color is more wear resistant and by far more chip resistant than any other solution I’ve found (including the factory finish)

If you wish to color-match though, conventional spray paint is your only option, but doing good, thorough prep and priming as well as a strong clear coat are all essential in such a high wear area.

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:28 PM
lol...I never realized it was you that wrote this DIY Ashley. Funny ****! Nice DIY

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
^As an addendum to the side note: you can indeed use other paints, however, if you do, you’re going to need to prime the surface with a very good primer. If you use conventional spray paint on bare plastic, it will chip. (if it even bonds in the first place) The reason I recommended the dupli-color vinyl and fabric coating is because I have had experience in the past using this product, as well as a typical prime-and-paint solution. The dupli-color is more wear resistant and by far more chip resistant than any other solution I’ve found (including the factory finish)

If you wish to color-match though, conventional spray paint is your only option, but doing good, thorough prep and priming as well as a strong clear coat are all essential in such a high wear area.
I actually forgot to mention something in that post. There is another paint besides Dupli-color, it's called SEM Colorcoat. It's the professional stuff, and comes in at least 25 different colors. It's even more durable than the Dupli-color stuff (can't scratch, chip or mar the paint without damaging the actual plastic substrate too), it has significantly better coverage, and a lot less surface prep is needed b/c the SEM paint sticks to pretty much anything that's even remotely clean.

You can actually paint onto bare plastic if you prep the substrate properly; all you need to do is clean it, scuff it, clean it again and then spray one good coat of primer before you paint it. I've done it while redoing several different car interiors for people, including my car. Just FYI to anybody out there that wants to do some interesting color that they can't find in Dupli-Color fabric/vinyl or SEM paint.

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:39 PM
I haz hugz to givez
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Jairen
Best DIY ever!
+1 hahahahaha

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:41 PM
|
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
Originally Posted by ttknf
I actually forgot to mention something in that post. There is another paint besides Dupli-color, it's called SEM Colorcoat. It's the professional stuff, and comes in at least 25 different colors. It's even more durable than the Dupli-color stuff (can't scratch, chip or mar the paint without damaging the actual plastic substrate too), it has significantly better coverage, and a lot less surface prep is needed b/c the SEM paint sticks to pretty much anything that's even remotely clean.

You can actually paint onto bare plastic if you prep the substrate properly; all you need to do is clean it, scuff it, clean it again and then spray one good coat of primer before you paint it. I've done it while redoing several different car interiors for people, including my car. Just FYI to anybody out there that wants to do some interesting color that they can't find in Dupli-Color fabric/vinyl or SEM paint.
^Nice. I'll have to look into that. Hopefully they'll have something close to the brown on my dash. I'm going to have to do a small piece in that color soon, and that's def one color you will not find with dupli-color.

--edit: Thanks Chris

Old 01-27-2010 | 12:25 PM
sweet im gonna try this

Old 01-27-2010 | 12:44 PM
Really Needs a Life
hilaeious kthxbai

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Painting Door Pulls (100% pictorial)