DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS

Old 12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Not a bad idea, but I rather not detroy the only thing that allows your car to be towed. "

Funny, I never thought I'd need the tow hook. I've been driving for 21 years and have never needed a tow hook. It's not the only thing that allows your car to be towed. If I just needed the car towed by a tow truck nowadays they have a fork like device that goes around the wheels and lifts it up by the wheels (front or back). Have you ever seen that show on auto repo men, it's kinda like a COPS show. They can back up to any car, lift up the front or back by the wheels and be off in literally 30 seconds. No damage is done to the auto for obvious resale reasons and any longer than 30 seconds and they're usually at the wrong end of a shotgun.

Last edited by hensta; 12-16-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Erh... you probably wouldn't want your G towed that way. I say this mainly because of clearance issues. Safest bet is flatbed all the way. But in order to secure your car down to a flatbed, you need that front tow hook. Normally, cars have securing points on the bottom side of the car near the front of the chassis. But I supose for aerodynamic purposes, they eliminated those hitch points. Which also makes sense since they covered that entire area with the underpaneling.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:42 PM
anyone have a actual japan or nsmo, vq35 or some sort of cool looking JDM plate on the front of their cars? PIX if you have any. I gotta put a plate on but i wanna put the japan one on.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by twantrd
Well done! I've been using tip ties and tieing it to one of the bumper vents. But this looks a lot better, the only problem is that I don't have a good enough grinder to do this.

fabulustt7,

There are no holes in the bumper as he uses the tow hook mount. The tow hook mount is located in the middle of the bumper (behind that little plastic square). So, pretty much he makes 2 drilling mounts on the tow hook and uses that to mount a license plate (as a base) and his real license plate over it.

-twantrd
Thank you for clearing that up for me. This idea really is a great one now i jus need to do it

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i know this is a really old thread, but can you unscrew that modified tow hook now? the answer to that question seems obvious, but try to take it out. the reason i ask is because i bought an aftermarket kit that basically did the same thing. however, after i got it screwed in, it will not budge at all. i can no longer tighten or loosen that attachment. there must be some sort of locking device in there on my 2006 coupe. if anyone has any thoughts on what i can do, please let me know. i need a front plate right now, but someday in the future, i want to be able to take it off, thanks

Old 02-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Nice!!