Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rolled Fenders: Before/During/After

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2006 | 01:24 PM
|
Rolled Fenders: Before/During/After

Ahh after a long wait, the basics have finally been installed. The shop set them to a conservative drop, but I want to go lower. Although many people said I shouldn't rub, I felt that once I dropped it a little more, installed the rear camber kit, and brought the camber back within spec, ........well I felt it was going to be too close to call so I bought a fender roller and did it myself. Yes the tool was a little pricey, but I look at it as I know plenty of other people that will want their fenders rolled so if I charge less then a real shop and can travel to people instead of people having to take a day off from work etc....the tool will be worth it.

I have a few vids as well, but I sound like an **** and won't be posting those! LOL

BEFORES:

DURING:

AFTERS:

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Nice roll job!
Much better than cutting.

How does the AFTER edge look from the outside?
Do you have a pic looking up the fender line?

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:51 PM
Administrator
Oh yeah getting mine done this weekend.
Can't wait.

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:57 PM
|
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Nice roll job!
Much better than cutting.

How does the AFTER edge look from the outside?
Do you have a pic looking up the fender line?
Looks identical to stock! It doesn't change the outside of the fender. The passenger side I did second so it came out a little better, very smooth roll. The driver side came out good too, but not quite as smooth as the passenger side. What throws it off a bit is the stock pinch welds. When you roll the lip and look at it, you will see the dimples from the pinch welds. Not a big deal since you can't avoid it, can't see it, and if you look closely you can see them on an unrolled lip anyway!

Old 05-23-2006 | 10:55 PM
wow. i need to get this done soon. the neg camber is killing me. i can't put up a camber kit until i roll the fenders

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Excellent job! It looks great. I will be rolling my fenders soon, as well.

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:37 PM
WOW... GREAT JOB MAN !!! First time doing this?

Old 05-24-2006 | 12:44 AM
how hot does the fender have to be with the heat gun?

Old 05-24-2006 | 03:17 AM
THE BATMOBILE
wow considering you did it yourself good job........i didnt know that many people roll there fenders

Old 05-24-2006 | 09:53 AM
_G_
How's the paint? Did it crack or chip? Looks real good!

Old 05-24-2006 | 10:43 AM
you did a good job. im about to roll mine as well. but im going to start with a heat gun first,then roll them...

Old 05-24-2006 | 11:46 AM
|
No Paint scratches or chips. It was the first time I ever did it, first time using the tool and I must say it was fairly easy. Pretty self explanatory. I just made sure to roll it in small increments. I found that it should take very little effort to roll the wheel across. When it becomes too loose, you simply turn the pressure up a bit where you have slight resistance and continue to roll.

As for how long I heated the the lip for, not too long. I should post that video even though I sound like an idiot. With me holding the camera, and trying to make adjustments to roll the fender, it was a PITA! LOL. All I did was heat the lip to where it was warm, but not burning hot to the touch. Not quite as hot as how a black car would get sitting in the sun. Best way to explain it although after owning several black cars, sometimes they can get way too hot to to the touch after sitting in the sun. I probably got it as hot as I did for removing the badges.

I'm gonna check the video again, maybe I'll just swallow my pride and post it up so you can guys can see.

Here ya go.....let the flaming begin! LOL
<embed width="352" height="308" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://vid30.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/dieselg35/Fender Rolling/FenderRolling047.flv"></embed>

That was say step one. When I stopped the camera, I put the heat gun down, rolled the fender for a few passes. Once it made little to no contact, I heated it again, adjusted the roller (height and roller angle). Repeated this about 4-5 times per side. As the lip becomes more rolled, you will have to raise the height of the arm with the roller. Very easy to adjust with that orange ****. You want the lip to be in the middle of the rolling wheel.

Last edited by Diesel1; 05-24-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2006 | 12:45 PM
Nice job. Props for sharing the video.

Old 05-24-2006 | 03:16 PM
I'm glad to see they make a tool for it now. Shouldn't be such a big deal. I used to cringe when people talked about rolling the fenders on their G. I guess we have come a long way since the baseball-bat technique was the common method.

Old 05-24-2006 | 04:41 PM
rolling your fenders is very easy. I did it to my sedan in about an hour and i went really slow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rolled Fenders: Before/During/After