KW Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KW Coilovers

I'm looking into getting a set of coilovers for my car and came across these. I've heard really good reviews about them, should I buy a set?

Link

Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
KW is a great brand, I'm just not a fan of progressive springs but they're the perfect coilover if you're looking to slam your G. If you buy them, go with Variant 2 so you can adjust the damping to your liking. Otherwise might as well go with just springs and shocks instead of a $1400+ basic kit.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
KW is a great brand, I'm just not a fan of progressive springs but they're the perfect coilover if you're looking to slam your G. If you buy them, go with Variant 2 so you can adjust the damping to your liking. Otherwise might as well go with just springs and shocks instead of a $1400+ basic kit.
I'll just be doing street driving, not tracking my car at all. I wanted a coilover set that was as comfortable as the Zeals and I know a lot of you guys with German cars are using KW. Should I not buy them if I'm not going to track my car and go with something else?

Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all depends if you want the adjustable height. They are super-nicely valved

Old 07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
workin...

have you looked at tein CS?

Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by absolutg
have you looked at tein CS?
I've only read about them, never riden in a car with them. I keep hearing mixed reviews about them, some people say that they're too bouncy and some say that they love them. To me, the stock sport suspension is perfectly fine with me, not too bouncy at all. I just want something that it as comfortable as stock if not more comfortable. Looked into the Tein Flex but some people say that it's still too bouncy even with the EDFC. Reason why I'm looking into the KW Variant 1 now is b/c everyone loves them.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Kw coilovers for the Z33, CPV35 and V35 have never been reviewed in detail by anyone in the community that I've ever seen. So at their purchase price, what else can you buy, do those other products offer a simular or better brand store or owner review base. Plus are they featured better, like adjust dampner lengths. All things that I do not think have helped KW sell well to the G and Z community. I've toally avoided even considering them because they use progressive springs. The varient 3's seperate compression and rebound control is nice on paper, but that is not a easy thing to get dialed in right, though I'm not sure if it's low piston speed only control helps may setup any easier. Based on posted reviews the best valved coilover for the platform are Zeals, followed by the HKS RS. In the absence of posted dyno plots at different volocities, it's not exactly take it to bank reliable anyhow. I hate the valving with a passion on the Megan coilovers I was given, yet I've seen other's say they love them. Just saying the some people just are not able to pickup on bad behavior.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-14-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
I've only read about them, never riden in a car with them. I keep hearing mixed reviews about them, some people say that they're too bouncy and some say that they love them. To me, the stock sport suspension is perfectly fine with me, not too bouncy at all. I just want something that it as comfortable as stock if not more comfortable. Looked into the Tein Flex but some people say that it's still too bouncy even with the EDFC. Reason why I'm looking into the KW Variant 1 now is b/c everyone loves them.
All coilovers will be height adjustable, what the V2 gives you is damping adjustability so you can set the comfort level to your liking. How do you know that the V1's will be comfortable enough for you? I've heard a lot of complaints about the harsh ride of the Tein Basics, another coilover that's not damping adjustable. Of course, the Basics are a greal deal cheaper too which makes me question the damper quality, but that's something to think about. You might be better off getting the adjustable Tokico shocks with a spring of your choice, since comfort is a priority.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 AM
what's the differrence bt the tokico and koni? which is better? and would you prefer the tein basics? oh yeah, does anyone know anything about stance compare to these other ones i've mentioned? thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
what's the differrence bt the tokico and koni? which is better? and would you prefer the tein basics? oh yeah, does anyone know anything about stance compare to these other ones i've mentioned? thanks
I was looking into Stance as well, heard great reviews about them too.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
Which is better is up to you, but you will have to find specific reason to pay what it cost's to get Koni's these day's. For $500 the D-specs are hard product to beat.

Tokico's are double adjustable for rebound and compression dampning, you can set them to be softer then oem to stiffer then oem 03/04 Z shocks. They have a spring rate limit of 450lbs. I've driven in two G35's that have the shocks, I cannot find fault in them, felt to me that a lot of R&D $$ went into valving, IMO.

The Koni's have rebound only control and were specifically valved to have less compression dampning then oem 03/04 Z shocks. So the Tokico's can be turned up to offer greater stiffness. Any authorized Koni center can rebuild the shocks or offer advice on revalving them. I have the Koni's and I made coilovers out of the fronts by raiding the Koni motorsports catalog. From my own experience do not run them past 450lbs in rate.

Bilstein H.D.'s should not be run on any spring stiffer then oem. But, their cost to revalve per shock is less then the cost for doing a Koni shock, $65 per shock.

TcKline shocks are a custom production run of Koni shocks that have seperate compression and seperate rebound controls. They have 1" shorter front bodies and piston rods with a spring perch position that is 1" lower then standard. They are valved to 800lbs spring rates, but priced accordingly.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
I was looking into Stance as well, heard great reviews about them too.
Ya know, their's that thread floating around my350Z.com about the Stance coilovers from a bay area shop. IIRC, they have a Z at the shop that has them on the car, I'd ask for a ride along in that car if I were you,...Just a thought. But don't let them go down smooth as glass streets only

Old 07-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Any comments on the D2 Coilover set?

Old 07-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by RTZ_G35
Any comments on the D2 Coilover set?
Here's a quote from a vendor on my350z.com that was planning on stocking the coilover. Given their specs, what was said makes perfect sense.

Originally Posted by 350z-z33
We test fitted a set (the ones in the pictures) on our Z six month ago and they sucks!!! The ride was WAY TOO harsh...... this is why we did not carry D2 coil-over at this point, but I heard they may have new design for the rear where the spring and strut are separated just like the OEM ones.....

Meagan Racing, Apexi N1 evolution, D2, Greddy (IMO), and Nex(also IMO) come from this Taiwanese based source http://www.bcracing-na.com/

I have the Megan's on the car now, they spec well on paper, but fall well short on performance because of poor valving. When the road's are great, they're fine, when they're not oh man I do not like them at all. And I'm running them on 448lbs rates in front vs 560lbs, still not worth keeping. I feel bad however since I was given them to write a review on.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Ya know, their's that thread floating around my350Z.com about the Stance coilovers from a bay area shop. IIRC, they have a Z at the shop that has them on the car, I'd ask for a ride along in that car if I were you,...Just a thought. But don't let them go down smooth as glass streets only
I've been following that thread with interest too.

My first concern was that they are now supporting the static weight of the car on a mount designed for only a shock absorber. They aren't worried because the mount didn't break as soon as they tried the car out. I'm a little more conservative.

It also seems like switching to a true coil-over on a G35 would change how a given spring rate affects the car. The mounting points are different lengths from the fulcrum.

It would be great if they worked out in the long run. I'm sure most of us would rather have true coil-overs if it is feasible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KW Coilovers