Next suspension components for autocrossing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next suspension components for autocrossing

I don't know if this post belongs in the autocross section, or here. I vote here.

Right now I've got the coupe shocks/springs, and stillen sways(presently set to med/med). What's the next logical suspension mod for autocrossing?

I know lightweight wheels and dot-r tires are recommended; but I don't have the cash for a set of dedicated wheels/tires, nor do I autocross seriously enough to justify the expense.

I don't want to spend a wad of cash on coils. I don't want an excessive drop. So I'm thinking about some shocks and some stiffer springs(linear).

There's also the option of going with a front STB. There's the VRT unit, or I could experiment and attempt to have one machined. I like this last option the least.

Then there are the GTSpec bars. I have a stillen exhaust, so there's going to be fitment issues with the rear lower bar. The chassis brace won't fit either. But the other two bars, theoretically, should.

So, should I spend $150 or so on the gtspec bars, go with the shocks/springs, or opt for the STB? I think the answer is going to be the shocks/springs...

The car presently does have too much body roll for my liking. But I think the biggest liability of autocrossing the car isn't the body roll, rather traction. I've already dismissed the wheels/tires option, so which suspension component(s) will help me maximize traction?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I really do think the next logical step is some wheels and dot tires. You don't have to spend a bunch for some lightweight wheels. If it's just for recreational autox, I'd get some stock 17" wheels (which you should already have if you didn't sell them yet) and put some dot tires on them.

Stiffer shocks and springs will definitely help, but then you'd have to live with them when you're on the road and I don't know if you'd want that. At least with the tires, you can change them out when you're done and you have a road worthy vehicle.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
After all, if u feel the car is understeering at the limit, change the rear setting of the sway to stiffest.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I don't know if this post belongs in the autocross section, or here. I vote here.

Right now I've got the coupe shocks/springs, and stillen sways(presently set to med/med). What's the next logical suspension mod for autocrossing?

I know lightweight wheels and dot-r tires are recommended; but I don't have the cash for a set of dedicated wheels/tires, nor do I autocross seriously enough to justify the expense.

I don't want to spend a wad of cash on coils. I don't want an excessive drop. So I'm thinking about some shocks and some stiffer springs(linear).

There's also the option of going with a front STB. There's the VRT unit, or I could experiment and attempt to have one machined. I like this last option the least.

Then there are the GTSpec bars. I have a stillen exhaust, so there's going to be fitment issues with the rear lower bar. The chassis brace won't fit either. But the other two bars, theoretically, should.

So, should I spend $150 or so on the gtspec bars, go with the shocks/springs, or opt for the STB? I think the answer is going to be the shocks/springs...

The car presently does have too much body roll for my liking. But I think the biggest liability of autocrossing the car isn't the body roll, rather traction. I've already dismissed the wheels/tires option, so which suspension component(s) will help me maximize traction?
Well there are a lot of choices "out there" to improve handling but the biggest bang for da buck is still lighter wheels and better tires. It is after all what the car contacts to the road surface. I would consider the Nismo wheels with a good set of sticky street tires (your choice) I'm happy with 275 rear and 255 front Michelin Pilot Sports.

As for the GT Spec bars, I would save your money and time. I have them installed and personally didn't feel they were worth the money. I'm even considering removing the front one, so I can have clearance for a oil pan spacer or better oil pan and a remote oil filter. The rear GT Spec bars look like they may be doing something but I don't see it in my track times nor feel any difference. The Stillen rear strut bar and VRT front bar made a noticeable improvement in track times and driving feel. The VRT front strut made the biggest difference by shaving 2 secs and a much more stable feel to the front end.

I would consider a set of adjustable D-sports or Konis to see how they would improve your handling with your stock springs. I believe the stock shocks/springs may be causing most of your body rolls in cornering. I don't have a recommendation for springs as most of the ones out there will drop your sedan significantly and will need a front and rear camber kit to bring alignment back. FYI I'm running the Nismo coupe springs with Koni shocks and love it, rougher ride and all.

Do you have a brake upgrade on your "to do list" yet? I just installed a set of two piece Brembo rotors and Hawks HPS + pads and nearly sucked my eyeballs out when I tested them from a 220 KmH stop, Look forward to how they may improve my lap time this weekend

Keep me updated on the JWT flywheel upgrade ...... it's on my "to do list" next year.