Before and after

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Before and after

Thanks everyone for your help with my never-ending brake job.

Before Fronts:

Before Rears

So, what does 80lbs of rotors, a half gallon of DOT4 fluid, about 10 cans of brake cleaner, 2 jars of high temp paint, 8 chunks of frictoin material, and going up and down and up and down on and off jacks for two weeks get you:

After Fronts

and

After Rears

and

Old 07-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks much better, nice work!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Sir Thank you sir.

I was fustrating, I almost had to shoot my car!

It took me an entire day just to paint the calipers. I pulled the rotors off, so I wouldnt chance harming the surface. I spent nearly a half hour cleaning each caliper, and there is three coats of paint on each.

Also, I painted the "drum" part of the rear rotors with the same paint, but in black. They were already starting to get surface rust. The fronts have some sort of gold coating on them that is so far resisting rust.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
THE BATMOBILE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
came out great.....good work

Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
GOT MODS?
Cool

Yeah looks great!!! Painting my calipers is next on my list of to do's. The paint is waiting patiently in my garage. Nice!!!!

Dumb question: Did you take the calipers off for cleaning and painting?

Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by TunerDad
Yeah looks great!!! Painting my calipers is next on my list of to do's. The paint is waiting patiently in my garage. Nice!!!!

Dumb question: Did you take the calipers off for cleaning and painting?
No, but I did remove the rotors, pads, and the clip thingies that are on each side, then remounted the calliper.

I got two wire brushes from Lowes, they are blue-handled, about 1" wide and 5" long. Also, a smaller wire brush, like 1/2"x1". I put an oil drip pan under the calliper. First I scrubed away, then i blasted with brake cleaner, almost an entire bottle for each calliper. I found that using the cleaner first then wire brushhing just made a mess. Most of it came right off with the wire brush.

When it came to painting: That stuff dries fast! So keep stiring it as you go, or else you'll start to get a film on top of can. Also, I got a pack of brushes from Walmart, in the house-paint section (not art section) there was 2-each of about 5 sizes, i used the biggest, 1/2". Good brushes, no bristles came off and stuck to the surface.

I alloed 1 hr between eash coat. The first two coats i put on real thin, after only one, it looked half-painted, meaning I coudl still see some of the caliper metal through the paint. The last coat I went a little thicker.

I made the mistake of not allowing 3 hrs drying time before re-mounting the rotors and pads. Make sure you let it sit and dry adequately. It might feel dry to the touch, but it isnt completely bonded.

Make sure you wear adequate eye goggles, mask, and thick gloves when cleaning, btw. Ive been hacking up funny flem all day long

Old 07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
GOT MODS?
Hey as long as the flem isn't bright green you will be fine. LOL

Great feedback on the project. I'll follow what you said. Makes sense to me.
I'll try to remember to take pics of mine and post them too.

Take it easy.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 PM
To make it easy, dont take both fronts or rears off at once. First, do one rear, so you can reference the other one with the mounted tire in regards to what will be visible.. I painted all the way back to the area of the bleeder, some only do half as much. I got on my back and got the undersides, and the back of the torque member (the bar thingy that the pads are held on by). Idid NOT do any of the inner surfaces of the piston or its bracket, nothing that actualy squeeaes is painted, i wanted that surface to be bare for optimum pad alignment

Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good g35 mass!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 AM
well done... well done... lol sounds like you had a hell of a time getting it done... but the hard work payed off... good job man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.