What kind of Brake Fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:22 AM
Motul RBF 600 here as well...no problems

Old 10-30-2006 | 03:46 PM
People don't realize that if you EVER BOIL the brake fluid it must be replaced soon [like that week] as boiling brake fluid changes it chemical composition in a very negative way.

The question is if you use a brake fluid that won't boil how do you know when your pads and rotors and piston seal are about to fail...........in some way boiling is a good somewhat safer alternative than a crack failure of a brake pad or a caliper piston seal leaking all the presuure out.

With oem system maybe something in the middle might be more safe than a never boil fluid.

In some ways the oem choice of a DOT3 considers this as 401F [284F wet] might be safer [for rotors and pads] than 590F/410F [Motul 600]

Valvoline Synpower at 503F/343F might be safer for stock [non Brembo] as a middle of the road compromise +100F dry/+60Fwet improvement over DOT3.

Because I can easily, I flush my brake fluid every April with a BG vacuum machine takes 15 minutes max.

Old 10-30-2006 | 03:59 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
The question still hasn't been accurately answered.

Why only DOT 3? And no synthetics? DOT 4 outperforms dot 3 in most areas. Synthetics are even better. I don't see why Infiniti is specifcally saying dot 3 only. It's implying dot 4 and sythentics aren't even an option. They should be.

As for dot 5. It's silicone based! NEVER, EVER USE DOT 5 IN YOUR STREET DRIVEN CAR THAT HAD DOT 3 OR 4 IN IT BEFORE!!!!!!!

Dot 5.1 is a totally different animal.

Old 10-30-2006 | 04:48 PM
I thought I answered it [in my opinion] they chose DOT3 as sufficient to not overheat the rest of the system and if brake fluid fading occurred [due to pads being worn down] and transferring more heat to the piston and thus the fluid..............smart competent owners would bring it in for service.

Remember my statement about the higher the wet boiling the more hygroscopic the fluid is the manufacturer did want you to have to change the fluid every month in extreme humid locations thus DOT 3 which can remain functional for a few years...........not great just functional.

The Majority don't do preventative maintenance since they dump the sleds every 60k so maybe a little brake fade [down the mountain] or noise will persuade them.

Initially the fade comes on slowly and usually increased pedal pressure can bring the vehicle to a safe single stop and the problem goes away in 15 minutes. Not so on the track or frisky street overdriving [but these people] are expected to be educated enough to understand what to do or replace.

After all racing and driving abuse [exhibition of speed - things you could get a ticket for] are not covered by the warranty anyway.

Leaving the road and hitting a tree/curb/concrete wall is rarely a warranty item. Traveling too fast for conditions. Rear ending someone.

Really hard to boil fluid if you stay within the speed limit, don't break the law [exhibition of speed] or follow to close [accelerate too fast].

The only problem might be those left foot brakers who ride brakes [and thus abuse the vehicle..........void brake warranty?]

I always thought a brake on led light every time you had your foot on the brake would solve this [riding brakes]..........or a loud buzzer. How about a counter that cumlative recorded brake applications and durations and average force..............just like the pad wear shows.

Old 10-30-2006 | 04:54 PM
http://www.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/1999-01-0483.PDF

Numerical prediction of brake fluid temperature rise during braking and heat soak

This study show most stock brake fade/boiling occurs 5-10 minutes after stopping.

Don't lock it down, race into a store, buy a 6 pack, and get back on the interstate in 10 minutes. At least watch the ramp for semis as you peel down the ramp.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VISCOSITY: DOT 3 has a different viscosity from DOT 4 and especially high temp racing fluids.
Nissan tested ABS with DOT3. They cannot assume how or if it will react differently with something they didn't test...........thus DOT3.

If you don't use it and you kill some one claiming your brakes didn't work they are off the legal hook IMMEDIATELY just by your using a non conforming fluid.

Your honor it clearly states DOT3 and the chemist/lab report say it's Motul 600 [not DOT3] obviously the operator/owner was negligent in maintaining his brakes. Why there are minimums for pads and rotors why you have to prove your dealer actually checked and tested the brake fluid [recommended check at 30k].

All kinds of useful escape clauses in the owners manual/warranty.

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-30-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2006 | 04:56 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
If they thought dot 3 was SUFFICENT, they should word it as "recommended" and not specifically exclude dot 4 and synthetics. Synthetics should be less hydroscopic AND feature higher boiling point performance. Like I said, dot 4 should also outperform dot 3 in every area.

Old 10-30-2006 | 05:18 PM
All brake fluid is synthetic [there are no natural pools of brake fluid any where on Earth]. All brake fluid is man made thus synthetic! Every component in it is man made by chemical reactions.

Why would synthetics be less hydroscopic, study your chemistry.

"Motul RBF 600 has long been the standard all other racing brake fluids have been judged by. This synthetic fluid has extremely high boiling points (593 F dry and 420 F wet) which means you can brake later and harder without getting that mushy pedal. However this brake fluid is very hydroscopic and we recommend frequent bleeding to keep the brakes functioning at optimal performance."

above from product description at:
Amazon Amazon

"The Ford Dot 4 high performance brake fluid tends to be very hydroscopic and will absorb moisture very quickly lowering it's boiling temperature rapidly. That's why it's important to buy a brake fluid that comes in a metal can instead of plastic, since moisture will make it's way into the brake fluid if it's in a plastic bottle."

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-30-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2006 | 05:36 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Here is the info for dot 3 vs dot 4. There's no reason for Infiniti not to accept dot 4 or dot 5.1 for that matter as an alternative. Again, dot 4 has different characteristics? Yes. But in this case different = better. So again, not sure how a better product that fully compatible with the factory fill is going to be an issue.

I would challenge ANY Infiniti dealer to even THINK about which brake fluid being used during a claim. They wouldn't even check or know how to check.

All high performance brake fluids swap higher dry temp boiling temps for higher moisture absorption rates. But for some, it's worth it if you change it alot anyway. But not all are THAT sensitive.

Plus some makes like the valvoline synthetic are rated better for both wet and dry. And feature good moisture resistance also. It's what I use. Good performance and very easy availablity at most stores.

DOT 3: This brake fluid is a poly glycol base product. Its dry boiling point (ERBP) is 205°C minimum and wet boiling point (Wet ERBP) is 140°C minimum. It absorbs 1 to 2 percent of water per year depending on climate and operating conditions. It is used in most domestic cars and light trucks in normal driving. This brake fluid does not require cleaning the system and can be mixed with DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 without damage the system. This brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere thus reduces its boiling point (ERBP). It can also damage the paint on a vehicle.

DOT 4:This brake fluid is also based upon poly glycol. Its dry boiling point (ERBP) is 230°C minimum and wet boiling point (Wet ERBP) is 155°C minimum. It is used in medium and higher size of modern cars; and also for vehicles in high-altitude, towing, high-speed braking situations or ABS systems. This brake fluid does not require cleaning the system and it can be mixed with DOT 3,DOT 5.1 without damage to the system. This brake fluid also absorbs moisture out of the atmosphere thus reduces its boiling point (ERBP). It can also damage the paint on a vehicle. The modified poly glycol boric ester DOT4 brake fluid is also available.

Old 10-30-2006 | 05:54 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
One could make their own decision: Higher performance seems to lean toward the dot 4

Brake fluid comes in DOT 3, DOT 4 or DOT 5 ratings. The DOT standards for brake fluids were established in 1972. When the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Department of Transportation (NHTSA) set up the requirements for brake fluids they determined that there was a need for two grades of fluid until an all-weather fluid was developed with viscosity and boiling point characteristics suitable for all braking systems. In order to provide added protection against vapor locking and fade in severe braking service, DOT 4 fluid is recommended. But in such applications it is important to note that the same higher viscosity that helps eliminated vapor locking and fade may result in poorer system performance in very cold weather Also, it should be noted that the high boiling points are sacrificed in the DOT 3 fluid for low viscosities for use at low temperatures. These differences between the viscosities of the DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids are necessary to cover the specified operating temperature ranges and as such make it necessary to maintain both DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids.

Old 10-30-2006 | 08:43 PM
G35 6MT
so, some advice for me: i have regular ol' brembo brakes, but changed my pads to Endless Vita Nuova's and have changed my rotors to the brembo slotted rotors from tire rack. i haven't been to the track yet, but engage in some "spirited" driving on occassion in the mountains/hills/canyons. which brake fluid is best for me?

Old 10-31-2006 | 12:05 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
A better question would be how often are you prepared to change it. That probably more than anything would dictate your choices. But I don't see you requiring anything extreme. Unless you've experienced brake fade often.

Originally Posted by n1cK
so, some advice for me: i have regular ol' brembo brakes, but changed my pads to Endless Vita Nuova's and have changed my rotors to the brembo slotted rotors from tire rack. i haven't been to the track yet, but engage in some "spirited" driving on occassion in the mountains/hills/canyons. which brake fluid is best for me?

Old 10-31-2006 | 12:20 AM
G35 6MT
Arrow

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A better question would be how often are you prepared to change it. That probably more than anything would dictate your choices. But I don't see you requiring anything extreme. Unless you've experienced brake fade often.
you're right. i don't need anything extreme. hell, when i go on a canyon run, it's only for a few minutes (especially when there's traffic) or a few miles (like 2 or 3). hell, i've never even experienced brake fade!

let's just say that i'm a lazy, performance oriented, type of person, and would want a brake fluid that would go great with what i have installed, that i don't have to change on a monthly basis. did i mention i'm a little lazy?

Old 10-31-2006 | 11:38 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
I would try Valvoline's synthetic dot 3/4.

Old 10-31-2006 | 06:16 PM
I need to change my brake pads soon and I was thinking of changing my brake fluid as well, since I haven't changed it in 3 years. I auto-x frequently and I will track the car twice a year. So, what kind of fluid do you guys recommend? Also, can anyone provide me with a DIY link for changing brake fluid? Thanks guys.

Old 01-12-2007 | 07:40 PM
Ok, so a confirmation. I've got standard DOT 3 fluid in my car. Went to a shop and they pointed me to Castrol Response Super DOT4. Said I can just top up my current fluid.

Question 1: Can I really do that? Or does the person not know my car? ie. will the brakes work? I drive hard from time to time... (In Australia, Skylines 350GT is an extremely rare car and no one really has any clues about it or parts for it except for the importers).

Question 2: If I do fill it up, should I change it with every 6k km traveled? (Thats how often I service my car) or can change with every 12k km (approx 7.5k miles i think)? Reason why I want to top it up is cos its close to minimum and in mornings brake light, slip and VDCoff comes up, so wanna try if it solves my problem. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kind of Brake Fluid?