stock caliper/oversize front rotor question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock caliper/oversize front rotor question

Can someone clarify this? Vendor info and technical web sites indicates that if a BBK is used on the front only, then the stock rear brake rotors with OEM or upgraded pads could continue to be used. But, if a system using stock calipers with an adaptor to fit an oversized rotor is used, then the stock rear rotor setup cannot be used and the vendors rear setup should also be installed. That's what I get from my searches. Is this true or am I mis-reading this? What would be the difference in a BBK front and stock rear versus stock caliper/oversized rotor (Stoptech, Wilwood have these, have been discussed on tech sites) and stock rear. Bottom line is I would like to do the oversized front rotor with stock caliper but now am not certain what to do about the back brakes. I sure don't want any surprises at that first stop sign. Thanks for any input on this question.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Well it really all depends. This is what I've learned. Good companies that do proper R&D, such as Stoptech, will maintain the factory bias with just their front BBK's. The rotor diameter has been increased but to compensate they do things such as reducing overall piston area to negate bias shift. Thus the stock bias or close to it is maintained.

For a front OE caliper kit the rotor diameter has been increased but since the stock caliper is being used the overall piston area remains the same and thus bias is shifted forward. To compensate, it is suggested that the rear OE caliper kit is also used since the increased rear rotor diameter will offset the bias shift that was created from the front OE caliper kit.

Probably not the best explanation here or the most scientific but that's what I've gathered.

Here's a page that does a pretty good job on explaining brake bias and shows you all the variables involved.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...alculator.html

Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Makes sense. Your explaination was good, I appreciate the feed back. Now to decide which way to go. Thanks!