VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...

Well I got my VRT Front STB not too long ago and finally got a chance to take some pics today. Initially I thought the install was going to take me about 45 minutes just by looking at the thing and looking over the instructions. I heard it's been done in as fast as 30 minutes and some took a couple of hours. It took me several hours and three tries. First of all, I skipped the step of leaving the car up while installing the crossbar and thought the bar was too long. lol. Then I got the bar on but I seemed to have overtightened one of the bolts and it snapped when I dropped the car which I did a little too fast. Scott was cool and sent me a new one right away. I'm usually pretty **** when it comes to installs since I like to do everything myself but this install is definitely not for the mechanically challenged. Mine had some minor fitment issues but nothing that a few phone calls to Scott, a dremel and rubber mallet couldn't solve. Since each car is different and these are not just stamped out like some of crap out on the market for other cars, it just took a little bit of finesse combined with some prying, pounding and brute force but it was all worth it. I did trim my CF 350Z Engine Cover just like Eagle1's G so it would fit. I also trimmed my Power Steering Fluid Reservoir bracket quite a bit so it would clear the passenger side bracket. I'm pretty sure that I am the only one that had to do this but that was easy. My crossbar was hitting my hood even with my hood liner off and you can see the mark in the pics on the passenger side of the crossbar. I also removed that little bar that holds the pop-charger in place since the driver's side bracket holds the whole intake in place. Moving the A/C line was easy. I took about 2-3mm of the A-Arm replacement bolt part where the passenger side bracket mounted and pounded it down with a rubber mallet. No big deal. It's a tight fit right now but the gap is gone and I put my hood liner back on. There isn't much room in there and I am amazed how this was designed to fit in such a tight space yet works so well. Getting the A-arm replacement bolts in was easy.

I finally got to rail some corners and only two words come to mind... PLANTED and SOLID. It feels like a 350Z now. I mean I felt the difference just pulling out of the garage and over the first speed bump. Then when I hit the first right turn really hard, the passenger side front corner stayed down instead of wanting to come up like a speedboat. It was a major missing link in my suspension setup and if I had known this worked so well, I would've gotten it a whole lot sooner. It was worth every penny, the wait and all the time I spent getting it on correctly. Great product! If you don't have one then you better get one because it's definitely a "MUST HAVE" mod. Now I just need to swap out my Rear Stillen one for a matching VRT one when it comes out.

Check out the pics...

Attached Thumbnails VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-001.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-004.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-005.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-006.jpg  

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 08-25-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 AM
More pics...

more...

Attached Thumbnails VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-009.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-010.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-011.jpg   VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...-picture-012.jpg  
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 AM
how is the clearance for the dipstick? looks like its a bit hard to take it out?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by abcquackyxyz
how is the clearance for the dipstick? looks like its a bit hard to take it out?
It's fine.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice review - glad you like the bar, it looks like a quality product. too bad it ain't made for sedans. you do have GT Spec lower tie braces, right? those make a LOT of difference!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if it will fit over the APS intake pipe?

Old 08-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Will this bar fit on an 06 coupe??? I would imagine so since Disco_Monkey's is an 05 with the rev-up engine...Can anyone confirm the fitment for an 06 coupe????

Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Codeflux,I believe they do work for sedans.I have ordered one.Will let you know how it goes.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
^^^ coolio! post your review.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes it does fit sedans. Yes it does fit the 06 Coupes.

There are a few different applications for different setups NA, TT, SC, etc so email Scott at wa2good@hotmail.com to order or with questions.

The application you see is for the JWT TT which I don't have yet.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
nice review - glad you like the bar, it looks like a quality product. too bad it ain't made for sedans. you do have GT Spec lower tie braces, right? those make a LOT of difference!

Thanks.

I didn't think the lower braces would do anything since I was told they run parallel to existing support beams. Good thing they made such a difference for you. I'm going to pass on those because it's going to get in the way of the Oil Pan Spacer I am adding later on and it will probably hit my exhaust in the rear.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
...it's going to get in the way of the Oil Pan Spacer I am adding later on and it will probably hit my exhaust in the rear.
yes on both accounts. but i'm pretty happy with them.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great review, Chris. Appears that your effort and time paid off on this particular mod. From what I have read, I will be required to rework my Stillen airbox, if I opt to go with the VRT bar.

So, your VRT STB was fabricated to accommodate your future JWT TT application?

Old 08-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Great review, Chris. Appears that your effort and time paid off on this particular mod. From what I have read, I will be required to rework my Stillen airbox, if I opt to go with the VRT bar.

So, your VRT STB was fabricated to accommodate your future JWT TT application?

Not fabricated but different versions for different setups. For example, I couldn't get the NA version because it wouldn't work with the JWT TT but the JWT TT one works with NA so I just planned ahead. They all look almost identical except for the Stillen SC version. Let me know if you get it Andy, I can help you with the install if you'd like. It should go much quicker the second time around since I practiced on my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VRT Front Strut Brace review with pics...