Question about jacking up car with floor jack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about jacking up car with floor jack

Im not sure where this goes so it goes here Ive been having a lot of problems lately jacking up my car because my sideskirts are very low. So recently, I bought myself some takata low profile ramps and was able to get the car up enough for me to fit my floor jack from the side. My question is, since I don't have the adapter, when I jack up my car, it really bends that jack point. Would that be bad? Everytime I jack up my car, it just sounds really bad because its forcing the piece to bend since the jack is just flat and doesnt have that slit groove like the stock jack. And no, the stock jack does not fit from the side. I tried jacking it up from the front central point, but my jack still does not fit even with the car on the ramp. I was able to successfuly jack my car up from the side, but after I took it down, that piece looked to be in pretty poor shape. I'm assuming this should be ok since it's the same when you put the car on jack stands... the jack stand is simply just flat too. But the car on jack stands doesnt put as much pressure as jacking the entire up with the flat lift point. So what do you guys think?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I also have the same problem.

I made my ramps out of (3) 2x8" and use a low profile racing jack.

I make a spacer block out of a piece of 2x4" and cut a notch in it to fit over the frame ridge. Then, just set it on top of the jack and you are good to go.

Works for me....

Attached Thumbnails Question about jacking up car with floor jack-jack.jpg  

Last edited by Brando; 09-08-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 PM
The metal railing will be bent for sure if you don't have the proper support/padding on the contact point of the jack. If you can live with that (I would classify this as minor cosmetic damage that no one will see), then that's fine...

If you want to jack it from front/rear differential, looks like you'll need higher ramps. Also see this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/picture-share/110070-jack-stands-g.html

Old 09-08-2006, 07:46 PM
yea i saw that thread i posted a lot in it haha anyways I can probably live with the bent jack point so i guess its ok. I thought about making it out of wood to as posted in that thread, but I was told the wood might split in two. So I decided against it..

Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Here's the answer...........

In your owners manual it shows where the jack points are. If you place your jack where it shows
you won't damage anything. And don't forget, never
open your doors when you have your G in the air!!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gary c
In your owners manual it shows where the jack points are. If you place your jack where it shows
you won't damage anything. And don't forget, never
open your doors when you have your G in the air!!

Ummm....not exactly "the answer".

Like he said "its forcing the piece to bend since the jack is just flat and doesnt have that slit groove like the stock jack"

I've been using my wood block for the past yr and it is holding up fine.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 PM
well if you cut the groove make it perpendicular to the grains...the splitting would be reduced..

Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get nervous every time I try to jack my car. Even with wood, my front doesn't rise enough for me to get my floor jack underneath to use the front jack point. I can't use the rear diff because of my exhaust.

So... from where do I jack? If I use the points for the jackstands, where the hell do I put the jackstands?

And brando, want to make a few of those blocks and sell them?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ Posted too early.

Presently I jack from the inner wannabe-frame. I've got all kinds of divots and depressions from the floor jack; some deeper than others.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 PM
buy yourself a ramp man! I bought myself some takata ramps and i can still go over them with my lowered nismo bumper. It raises the front JUST enough for my floor jack to go on the side. Unless you're talking about the front central point... but i cant fit mine under there either even with the ramps.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I use supplied jack-it has proper adaptor not to bend anything and it fits under low car. I use blocks of wood on top of jack stands.

If you chew on inderbody rails they will start to rust, that's all. Unless you plan to keep your car forever I wouldn't worry about it.