Racingbrake supersized rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racingbrake supersized rotors

My friend had Racingbrake OE caliper BBK. The one with supersized rotors and brackets moving stock calipers outward...
and after three track days, 3 out of 4 rotors cracked. Pads were HP+. The rotors were the ones with slots and cross drills.
Should he try to get plain rotors for the same BBK, assuming that is less likely to crack, or go back to stock size rotors and experiment different pads?
Has anyone seen the rotors crack that easily? How are racingbrake quality and track records?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 AM
First mistake was using cross-drilled rotors on the track. You lose quite a bit of material from the rotor that is needed to absorb the heat. Plus the rotor loses it's structural integrity with all those holes. Basically cross drilled rotors are good for show and street, not track.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I always used x drilled on the track(not BBK, just factory sized) and never had a problem. Quite a few race teams use xdrilled setups. Could be isolated incident-bad batch?
I will stay away from Racing Brake....

Old 10-15-2006, 03:37 PM
i have the racing brake cross drilled/slotted rotors (factory non-brembo size) and only use on the street, no real noticeabe difference but also haven't taken it trackside.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Are the RacingBrake cross drilled rotors chamfered? If not, that would explain the cracking.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by obender66
I always used x drilled on the track(not BBK, just factory sized) and never had a problem. Quite a few race teams use xdrilled setups. Could be isolated incident-bad batch?
I will stay away from Racing Brake....
Taken from Stoptech:
DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS
For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dklau33
Taken from Stoptech:
Why do we quote magazines/websites yet again? Doing some "bench" racing?
Did you ever crack a drilled rotor after track use?
I didn't, and I had 250 "hot" km this summer on the track over 3 track days. And my rotors are made by Stoptech. Total use is 20,000 km and they are well within wear limits.
Don't mean to start a flame, just sharing my own experience.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Racingbrake...........not?

I like the look of rotors that are crossdrilled/sloted
so I guess the problem really lies with Racingbrake
and their cruddy rotors.......?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Originally Posted by obender66
Why do we quote magazines/websites yet again? Doing some "bench" racing?
Did you ever crack a drilled rotor after track use?
I didn't, and I had 250 "hot" km this summer on the track over 3 track days. And my rotors are made by Stoptech. Total use is 20,000 km and they are well within wear limits.
Don't mean to start a flame, just sharing my own experience.
No I'm not bench racing but to answer your question, no I have not personally cracked a drilled rotor after track use. But I have seen quite a few people have cracks in their slotted rotors after track days. Moreso than plain or slotted rotors. I have only ran slotted or plain rotors for my track day excursions and fotrunately have not cracked a rotor yet. I'm not saying every drilled rotor will crack from track use. What I am saying is that drilled rotors will be more prone to cracking than slotted or jsut plain rotors. Even Stoptech admits that fact.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dklau33
No I'm not bench racing but to answer your question, no I have not personally cracked a drilled rotor after track use. But I have seen quite a few people have cracks in their slotted rotors after track days. Moreso than plain or slotted rotors. I have only ran slotted or plain rotors for my track day excursions and fotrunately have not cracked a rotor yet. I'm not saying every drilled rotor will crack from track use. What I am saying is that drilled rotors will be more prone to cracking than slotted or jsut plain rotors. Even Stoptech admits that fact.

Exactly, it's not racing brake, it's just drilled rotors. I have had lots of friends crack lots of different brand drilled rotors on the track and have way better luck with slotted. Slotted rotors are much better for high heat track use. I have the racing brake 4-pot drilled/slotted fronts and oem slotted rears and have worked them very hard on canyon runs and different drives with no problems or fade. But I got the drilled for the looks knowing that they may crack one day.