Brake upgrade for hard street driving only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
eh, im not touching my rotors until i need to. its just more money that i dont need to spend lol

then again, i dont need impul side skirts or a kuruma z front or wheels...

lol or do i?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ You do need them

But I agree, I don't change my rotors until they are done. Since its a wear item, use it until its done then replace it. Its like your tires, you wouldn't change them for new ones if they were will 60% new, would you?

Other items like bodykits, wheels etc, you change whenever you want cuz its not saving you money to keep the stock ones.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most tires change dramatically from brand new to 40% worn..........tires are designed and optimized to meet up to 8,000 miles DOT test cycle beyond that they can be inferior compared to brand new.

Read studies about wet handling and braking when the tread becomes half worn [especially on directional tread tires].

The main purpose in specifying a rotor minimum thickness is to avoid the case where pads are totally worn and rotor is below minimum where the total exceeds 10mm and allows the caliper piston to extend too much and blows out the piston seal [loose all brake fluid].

Wearing off 8% of rotor thickness will only decrease the mass about 4-5% thus the peak temp goes up 4-5%.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Hey Greddy: I'll be visiting Pasadena next Wednesday through the following Monday. I live near Washington, DC but am visiting a friend out there. I won't have my G with me, but I wouldn't mind checking out any nice speed shops while I'm out there! Can you recommend some?

Thanks again,
B

Old 11-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Powerslot Cryo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The Cryo rotors are the best stock size rotors you can buy. they last 3X longer than the stock rotors and twice as long as any uncryogenicaly treated rotor on the market. Couple that with the hard grabbing, long lasting, dust free and squeak free Hawk HPS pads and you have a real good combination for a daily driver. This is why i put this exact combo on my gf's G35X. She loves that they dont squeak any more and feel good and I love that they dont get any brake dust on the wheels.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Brake dust shows how soft the pad compound is and how well they behave in street stopping COLD. The carbon dust is a requirement in Europe.

Unfortunately aftermarket pads have no standards they do not have to meet the same performance [COLD] as oem.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro
Powerslot Cryo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The Cryo rotors are the best stock size rotors you can buy. they last 3X longer than the stock rotors and twice as long as any uncryogenicaly treated rotor on the market. Couple that with the hard grabbing, long lasting, dust free and squeak free Hawk HPS pads and you have a real good combination for a daily driver. This is why i put this exact combo on my gf's G35X. She loves that they dont squeak any more and feel good and I love that they dont get any brake dust on the wheels.

Hey i have a 05 X sedan and looking to replace rotors and pads (all 4)

Do you have links or know which sponsors have the rotors and pads you mentioned?

how do you know that the rotors last 3x longer than OEM rotors? My oem only lasted 30k and i need to change them immediately.

how can the rotors be dust free? it just doesnt make sense that when u are breaking there is no dust....

thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Brake rotor temperature [on the street without cooling speed or ducts] is purely a function of rotor weight [plus what ever amount gets coupled to the wheels thru the rotor hat and studs].

Tires usually have more to do with street stopping and this of course varies with road/tire temperature.

TireRack has some good test reports on tires and their wet/dry stopping distance from 50 mph.................look at the variances between brands on the same BMW [test cars].

I always chose based on wet because it is often more critical.

If you are trying to beat oem single stop distances think carefully before you replace the dusty soft oem pads..........most aftermarket pads won't even equal oem in cold panic stops.

u sound like a guy who knows alot

If I just get rotors and pads say from Brembo or stoptech, it basically means they may look better than OEM plain rotors, but they prob do not stop as good as OEM rotors? But if I get the big brake kit from bremo/stoptech, it would be much more functional. Whats so different about the big brake kit? how is this an upgrade?

The dealer told me that it would cost me $500-550 to replace all 4 rotors and pads and I only have 30k miles and it would be another 30k miles before I have to replace the whole kit again. However, If i go aftermarket for the rotor s and pads, I would be looking to spend more on just better lOOKING rotors but they prob last the same. So I should just goto the dealer and get it done for $500, am I making sense here?

Last question, Im looking to get 19s later on and was wondering if I upgrade aftermarket rotors, it would not affect the 19s right in terms of clearance?

thanks for replying

Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 AM
You can buy oem pads/rotors at a 25% discount [Scottsdale Infiniti Inet]
You can buy Centric Black Hat Rotors which might be 95% of oem/
You can do your own brake work labor or find a decent specialty shop who with sell their labor cheaper than dealer.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
If you want to go ***** out you can upgrade your rotors to STOPECH 2 piece Aero rotors or Project Mu SCR rotors for higher thermal energy capacity, Endless Vita Nuova or Project Mu NS pads for greater intial bite and higher temperature threshold for less brake fade, and STOPTECH SS lines for a stiffer pedal feel and Motul RBF 600 for high boiling fluid. My friend has this setup on his Z and his car stops on the dime, I never thought the BREMBO's would feel that good.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:03 PM
SS lines do nothing for stopping power. It just improves the pedal response.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:25 PM
What I did was install a set of two-piece aero rotors from Racing Brake (similar to Stoptech) with Goodrich stainless lines and Hawks HPS+ pads. I track my car occasionally and that's why I went with the HPS+. You might get away with just the normal HPS pads. I went with two-piece rotors for the weight, cooling and better design than OEM. The improvement over OEM is unbelievable! After I bed in the pads and rotors I nearly sucked my eyeballs out from a 120 mph full stop. Well worth the upgrade cost. Normal everyday driving brake response has improved substantially.

My plan is to keep the OEM brembo rotors and pads and re-install them when or if I sell the car in the future.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:55 PM
G35_6MT: I like your setup; and I will likely do the same thing!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by shdowflare
G35_6MT: I like your setup; and I will likely do the same thing!
You won't be disappointed!

Don't forget to change out the brake fluid to a good quality high temp brand. I use ATE blue and brown, so when I bleed the brakes I can tell when new fluid is at the caliper by the color change.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Question

So I bought the AeroRotors and am eyeing up the pads/lines next. Will these rotors last longer than the OEM Brembos? I hope so, given the hefty price tag.

Anyway, what are the best pads/lines to get for superb braking power on the street and occasional track runs? I read Hawk HPS+... I was just curious because I want to get the right rotor/pad combo to maximize the life of the rotors while still getting solid performance.

Thanks!
B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade for hard street driving only