Non-Brembo to OEM Brembo upgrade & Stiffener question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04NismoV35
Anyone?

silvernole12 do you have a coupe or sedan?

I have a coupe and my donut spare fits fine

Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Guess I might have to get a coupe spare

Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Guess I might have to get a coupe spare
Get coupe wheels while you're at it. The 18 inch coupe wheels fit great and clear the Brembos. I have them on my sedan with 235/45/18's.

Goodridge brake lines for $189.95. http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...1&cat=0&page=1

I have these on my coupe and I bought them from this place. They are good guys.

You might as well flush your brake fluid while you are doing the brake upgrade. You can get the ATE Super Blue from them as well. Check the brake pads on your OEM Brembos. The Axxis pads from Importrp.com work great and are inexpensive.

For the bolts for the rear calipers, get good Grade 8 bolts, as they are stronger.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Get coupe wheels while you're at it. The 18 inch coupe wheels fit great and clear the Brembos. I have them on my sedan with 235/45/18's.

Goodridge brake lines for $189.95. http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...1&cat=0&page=1

I have these on my coupe and I bought them from this place. They are good guys.

You might as well flush your brake fluid while you are doing the brake upgrade. You can get the ATE Super Blue from them as well. Check the brake pads on your OEM Brembos. The Axxis pads from Importrp.com work great and are inexpensive.

For the bolts for the rear calipers, get good Grade 8 bolts, as they are stronger.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have some coupe wheels that need tires & I want to have refinished. I wanted to be able to run my sedan wheels for the winter (I got fairly new A/S rubber on em) and the coupe wheels for the summer.

I am definitely flushing the brake fluid and going either Super Blue or Motul 600. The pads and rotors have plenty of life on them, but when I'm due for a change I might go Axxis Ultimate for the fronts with Racing Brake 2-Piece if I decide on tracking the car.

I'm not sure what u mean about the bolts tho. What size, type? What do you mean about Grade 8? Thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM
As the guys said above, if your rear calipers didn't come with the bolts, be sure you get good enough replacement bolts to attach them to your car. Grade 8 is a strong bolt and should be redily available in a metric thread.

See here for the grade markings and notice the tensile strength. Grade 8 is the 15th down.
http://industrialhardware.com/excel/gradeMarkings.htm

Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I just remember reading this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...spare+tire+fit

Why did you switch back? Your second answer doesn't make sense. How could the G coupe come with a spare that doesn't fit? Unless you are forced to get a flat only on the rear. Do you have any idea what size spacer is needed to clear? Where can I find one?

Thanks for feedback.

The front is straight forward and all hardware you remove, except the dust shield and brake lines, is reused. The rear requires different bolts to secure the caliper to the hub. I switched back because I have three sets of wheels (winter, summer, track) and I did not want to spend more on new sets. Although I just got Z track wheels and I'm slowly replacing my wheel/tire sets so that I can get a BBK. I would never run a spacer.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
As the guys said above, if your rear calipers didn't come with the bolts, be sure you get good enough replacement bolts to attach them to your car. Grade 8 is a strong bolt and should be redily available in a metric thread.

See here for the grade markings and notice the tensile strength. Grade 8 is the 15th down.
http://industrialhardware.com/excel/gradeMarkings.htm
Thanks for the info. I was just going to get the oem's from nissan. Still don't know the size and lenght tho if I were to get one somewhere else.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by myG35ZX
I just remember reading this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...spare+tire+fit

The front is straight forward and all hardware you remove, except the dust shield and brake lines, is reused. The rear requires different bolts to secure the caliper to the hub. I switched back because I have three sets of wheels (winter, summer, track) and I did not want to spend more on new sets. Although I just got Z track wheels and I'm slowly replacing my wheel/tire sets so that I can get a BBK. I would never run a spacer.
Thanks for the thread, no one ever answered if a sedan spare would fit though. I'd rather not use a spacer but I have very good all season tires on my stock wheels that I want to use for winter and I don't want to have to buy another set of wheels. I'm on a very tight budget right now. I've heard that the universal spacers are the problem but not if you get ones that are exact fit.

Does anyone know where to find a spacer and what size is needed to clear with the '04 sedan sport wheels? I'd imagine a 5mm should be enough.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm getting it done this week, including the lines and stiffener, that is providing I find everything I need to get it done. I will post w/ my thoughts and pics once done.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
some of what you're doing is going to be trial and error to see if the 17 inch sedan wheels fit over the Brembos and whether the spare tire will fit. I use the blue painters tape every time I take my wheels off and put them back on to protect the Brembos' finish. You may want to do the same the first time you mount the 17 inch wheels.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
some of what you're doing is going to be trial and error to see if the 17 inch sedan wheels fit over the Brembos and whether the spare tire will fit. I use the blue painters tape every time I take my wheels off and put them back on to protect the Brembos' finish. You may want to do the same the first time you mount the 17 inch wheels.
I realize that now. I finally spent a few minutes taking off a wheel and test fitting them and it looks like I'll definitely need a spacer. There's 3.5mm gap in my test fit so a 5mm spacer should be enough to fit, but with a VERY tight fit. That's just the front of the caliper, now I gotta check if the top will rub. I thought of the same thing and put on blue tape, but I still managed to break through and scratch it a tiny bit. I gotta run and get some touch up from Honda.

I took some pic of the test fit, as per my shop's recommendation. Looks like a 3-3.5mm difference between the side where the caliper touches the wheel, versus the side where there is direct hub to wheel contact.

It's gonna suck if I can't use my stock wheels. Now I'm thinking I should have gone with the Arizona Z Car Wilwood kit.

Attached Thumbnails Non-Brembo to OEM Brembo upgrade & Stiffener question-test-fit-overall.jpg   Non-Brembo to OEM Brembo upgrade & Stiffener question-test-fit-caliper-side.jpg   Non-Brembo to OEM Brembo upgrade & Stiffener question-test-fit-opposite-side-wheel-hub-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
The spacers should be hubcentric. Be careful with brake fluid. it dissolves paint.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:31 AM
The spacers should be hubcentric. Be careful with brake fluid. it dissolves paint.
Thanks for the info and the heads up. I didn't know that about brake fluid.

Do you think if I run spacers for the sedan wheels that I can still run the coupe 18's?

Old 03-25-2007, 02:45 PM
lazy a$$
I'm planning on upgrading as well. Quick question: Are the brake lines for the non-brembo brakes the same to brembos?

Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 PM
They are NOT the same!

StopTech sent me Banjo lines for my Brembo’s but theirs banjo bolts fit in Brembo calipers just fine.

Last edited by dovla; 05-24-2007 at 07:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Non-Brembo to OEM Brembo upgrade & Stiffener question