challenge + espelir = pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
challenge + espelir = pics

Chris @ F1 is a stand up guy (and his technician, Jay I think his name is). He hooked me up with a set of Challenge in GM wrapped in Toyo TR1 (19 x 9.5 + 15 (To give it a bit more lip) and 19 x 10.5 + 23) and a set of Espelir 350z springs. His customer service is excellent. He took the time to explain things to me and gave lots of good professional advice.

My impressions are:

Springs: I had put on the springs on my 04 stock shocks. Prior to the install, I was a bit concern that the ride will be “bouncy” w/o aftermarket shocks to compensate for the increased spring rate. After the install my impression is that there is room for improvement and an aftermarket shock to go with the springs will help with the rebound. However, the stock shock is doing a fairly good job.

Ride height with these springs does not drop the car 10mm for sure. I have not measured it but as you can tell from the pictures the upper part of the front tire is almost flush with the fender. That is not a 10mm drop. The rear is a bit more conservative of a drop.

Overall, I like the drop but would like the front to be .2”-.3” higher to avoid the sideway maneuver over speed bumps. Depending on the size of the speed bump if I go straight on I will scrap my exhaust (part towards the front of the car). If scrapping is a concern I would not recommend these springs. These springs do give a nice drop…….not to to low and not to high. The greatest negative to these springs is the camber in the front and rear (pun intended). I am thinking about getting some camber kits to get it back into spec. if I can’t get them set with factory parts adjustment. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should take my car for an alignment? I am looking for a place that is relatively cheap, knowledgeable, and provides great customer service in the OC area.

Springs + Wheels: Going from stock 18” to 19” + springs, my car feels more “planted” going straight and around corners. Braking seems to have improved with a decrease in nose dive. The ride actually feels smoother and softer when hitting imperfections on the road vs. the stock 18” Michelin tires. Perhaps it is the softer side wall the TR1 has? Stock ride quality was for the most part maintained.

I do feel that the car takes a bit more gas so to speak to get it moving with this set-up. Do anyone know why or is it jus in my head? Could it be the negative camber or my toe being off centered? Or could it be simply the added weight with 19” wheels?

I am sure this is true for most, but looking for wheels and springs has been a challenging. I wasn’t sure which wheel/color and offset would go well with my car and which spring will give me the best ride/look. Again, Chris at F1 was of great help. I hope that my above write-up will help others as they are going through the wheel/spring purchasing process. I know that other member’s post in this forum has helped me with my decision process.

Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails challenge + espelir = pics-sv401047-wince-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401065-wince-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401064-wince-.jpg  

Last edited by GIIIV; 02-26-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Right sized

Attached Thumbnails challenge + espelir = pics-sv401047-small-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401065-small-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401070-small-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401066-small-.jpg   challenge + espelir = pics-sv401067-small-.jpg  

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I have almost the same set up as you but have mercury silver instead and have the espelir springs for the g35. I ended up installing the spc rear camber arms with toe bolts. I now get even tire wear. I took it to a place called West End in Gardena for install/alignment..The guy's name is Darrin..his number is 310-808-9233. He only works by appointments and if you do make an appointment, don't be late. I forgot the price but was pretty decent and he did an excellent job.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on a sweet looking set-up and props to Chris at F1. He helped me through my selection process and I couldn't be more pleased.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
wheels look bomb. drop is sick. nice work.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
those front wheels have extreme negative cambers. Do an alignment when the springs settle.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaidenG35
I have almost the same set up as you but have mercury silver instead and have the espelir springs for the g35. I ended up installing the spc rear camber arms with toe bolts. I now get even tire wear. I took it to a place called West End in Gardena for install/alignment..The guy's name is Darrin..his number is 310-808-9233. He only works by appointments and if you do make an appointment, don't be late. I forgot the price but was pretty decent and he did an excellent job.
i was just at west end thursday and my god my car feels totally different! hands down the best place to get an alignment.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
the reason the drop was over 10mm was because they are Z springs used on a coupe, expect an extra 1/2" or 25mm on top of the advertized drop, at least in the front

Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by MaidenG35
I have almost the same set up as you but have mercury silver instead and have the espelir springs for the g35. I ended up installing the spc rear camber arms with toe bolts. I now get even tire wear....
MaidenG35: You needed to do that much to get your camber/toe back to or close to factory spec? The G35 springs are said to drop only 10mm's, that's less than 1/2". I have 20's and didn't want to drop too much so I was looking into the espelir GT's for the g35. How much was the drop after they settled and how do you like them overall?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
nice job

Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice looking ride. Chris hooked me up as well.

Originally Posted by WYSIWYG
MaidenG35: You needed to do that much to get your camber/toe back to or close to factory spec? The G35 springs are said to drop only 10mm's, that's less than 1/2". I have 20's and didn't want to drop too much so I was looking into the espelir GT's for the g35. How much was the drop after they settled and how do you like them overall?
The camber is going to become even more negative as the springs continue to settle. Each car is different, but any drop will affect the camber of the car. And just because the camber is barely within specs, you will not get even tire wear. Specs are wide so that there is some tolerance with the parts and so that Nissan doesn't have people complaining as much.

Camber kits are the only way to correct your alignment properly.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
THE BATMOBILE
car looks good........espelirs give a nice drop

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM
I am looking for the same drop characteristics, but I am a little worried that I might rub because I have +38MM Fronts and +30MM Rears, with 40 sidewall front and 35 Sidewall rear. Will I rub?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:41 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
nice

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What size are your tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: challenge + espelir = pics