Brake hard or Brake long?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I can guarantee a stop from 100mph in 10seconds will cause the brakes to be hotter than if you slowed from 100mph in 60seconds, you just have more time for heat to dissipate over the period of braking

Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
On an atomic level, the atoms valences are "crashing" into each other, and energy is transfered in that case. If you don't think energy is being transferred, I don't know how else to explain it to you. Work is defined as a force*distance, while the coefficient of friction doesn't change, the frictional force does depending the pressure applied by the brakes, frictional force is mu*normal force, the normal force is the brake piston pressing on the pad, so braking lighter causes a smaller normal force and thus less friction force. Thus the distance the force applied must increase to get the same amount of work that is required to stop your car. By increasing the distance over which you. Becuase the friction force is smaller at any given time, the contact between the two surfaces on a microscopic level see less shear stress on a per molecule basis, so individual molecules are less likely to shear off, when you increase the normal force, you increase the shear stress on each molecule making it more likely to shear off, thus causing more wear on your brakes
Ok, well...
I know what you mean by valences crashing into each other, but I don't think that in this scenario, you are going to get electrons to jump from one shell to another, if that's what you mean by transfer energy... Sounds like cold fusion to me Yeah, I know it's not even close, but I haven't said those words in so long

It's been a while since I took thermodynamics and chemistry so I could be off base, but I don't remember studying electrons jumping from one shell to another in this fashion in these circumstances.

I understand what you are talking about sheer stress and such and frictional force. However, you are forgetting that even though you are applying more force in the hard-brake scenario, you are braking for a much shorter duration. Whearas in the easy-brake scenario, force is less, but distance is greater. From a statistics point of view, it's almost a moot point, because sheer force is greater, but time is smaller. So for example, if in that one second, the sheer force was great enough to sheer one particle off... In the other brake scenario, there is only a 50% chance of a particle sheering off, because of reduced force, but because you are braking for 3 seconds, you have higher probability. I'm not saying it works out to be the same, just saying that argument isn't as sound as you think it is.

I could be completely wrong, but it's kinda fun to think back to my college days Except now I feel old

Last edited by avs007; 03-07-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MechEE's watching the thread! A sign of more physics to come lol

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 AM
I can guarantee a stop from 100mph in 10seconds will cause the brakes to be hotter than if you slowed from 100mph in 60seconds, you just have more time for heat to dissipate over the period of braking
I don't think the difference is going to be as great as you think it is. Assuming, both create the same amount of heat..... Case one, generates the heat in 10 seconds, than has 50 seconds to cool at rest. The other generates the heat over 60 seconds.

Unless you are comparing the heat levels after 10 seconds in case one versus after 60 seconds in case two? Otherwise we need to see which allows more heat to dissapate. We could spend forever arguing this, as it's like comparing heating a pot of water on high heat for 10 seconds, or medium heat for 20 seconds, etc. Too many variables at this point, like rotor design, airflow, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by avs007
I don't think the difference is going to be as great as you think it is. Assuming, both create the same amount of heat..... Case one, generates the heat in 10 seconds, than has 50 seconds to cool at rest. The other generates the heat over 60 seconds.

Unless you are comparing the heat levels after 10 seconds in case one versus after 60 seconds in case two? Otherwise we need to see which allows more heat to dissapate. We could spend forever arguing this, as it's like comparing heating a pot of water on high heat for 10 seconds, or medium heat for 20 seconds, etc. Too many variables at this point, like rotor design, airflow, etc.
I am comparing the maximum temperature at any time. Since in the case of hard braking, all the work that is transfered to thermal heat, but only has 10 seconds of dissipation time, while in the case of braking gently, the same amount of thermal energy is transferred, but you have 60 seconds of dissipation time. So while the brakes brakes will essentially be at the same temperature after 60 seconds, their maximum temperatures will be differents, with the case of hard braking being much higher

Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Ok, well...
I know what you mean by valences crashing into each other, but I don't think that in this scenario, you are going to get electrons to jump from one shell to another, if that's what you mean by transfer energy... Sounds like cold fusion to me Yeah, I know it's not even close, but I haven't said those words in so long

It's been a while since I took thermodynamics and chemistry so I could be off base, but I don't remember studying electrons jumping from one shell to another in this fashion in these circumstances. You'd be creating isotopes if they were doing that.

I understand what you are talking about sheer stress and such and frictional force. However, you are forgetting that even though you are applying more force in the hard-brake scenario, you are braking for a much shorter duration. Whearas in the easy-brake scenario, force is less, but distance is greater. From a statistics point of view, it's almost a moot point, because sheer force is greater, but time is smaller. So for example, if in that one second, the sheer force was great enough to sheer one particle off... In the other brake scenario, there is only a 50% chance of a particle sheering off, because of reduced force, but because you are braking for 3 seconds, you have higher probability. I'm not saying it works out to be the same, just saying that argument isn't as sound as you think it is.

I could be completely wrong, but it's kinda fun to think back to my college days Except now I feel old
I never mentioned electrons jumping when referring to valences crashing. The valences never actually touch, the deform as their orbitals get closer together, which converts the energy into potential energy, which is released when the orbitals spring back to their normal shapes, which keeps the transfer of energy going into the adjacent atoms. I just finished up a grad thermo class last term so its fresh in my memory.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To say that stopping in 10 seconds versus stopping in 20 seconds has no net effect on brake wear makes the assumption that (neglecting temperature effects) brake wear is linearly proportional to brake force. Is it? I don't think that's clear, and will be a function of the materials, and likely some higher order function of relative surface speeds (between brake and rotor) and temperature to name a few.

As was mentioned above, I'd focus more on braking most safely and controllably.

Last edited by MechEE; 03-07-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 AM
I am comparing the maximum temperature at any time. Since in the case of hard braking, all the work that is transfered to thermal heat, but only has 10 seconds of dissipation time, while in the case of braking gently, the same amount of thermal energy is transferred, but you have 60 seconds of dissipation time. So while the brakes brakes will essentially be at the same temperature after 60 seconds, their maximum temperatures will be differents, with the case of hard braking being much higher
That I agree with... I just don't think there's a correlation between max temp and brake wear. I'm thinking the wear comes from the act of conversion, which we both agreed are converting the same amount of energy.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong perspective, I don't know... I view the brake pad as having enough friction material to convert a fixed amount of kinetic energy. How hard you brake would than be irrelavent, as at the end of the day, how much energy you converted is what's important, and what dictates wear. So in that case whether you brake from 100 to 0 in 10 seconds or 60 seconds wouldn't matter, because at the end of the day, you converted the same amount of energy in both cases.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by MechEE
To say that stopping in 10 seconds versus stopping in 20 seconds has no net effect on brake wear makes the assumption that (neglecting temperature effects) brake wear is linearly proportional to brake force. Is it? I don't think that's clear, and will be a function of the materials, and likely some higher order function of relative surface speeds (between brake and rotor) and temperature to name a few.
Heh heh, that's why I prefixed everything in my earlier post with all miscelaneous things aside... As in a simple world, where all things were perfect

Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 AM
I just finished up a grad thermo class last term so its fresh in my memory.
I did say I last took my college courses many moons ago... My wife thinks I did a little too much drinking and smoking in college, so perhaps I killed off a few braincells, and am remembering things wrong

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The friction coefficient of the pad material varies with the interface temperature and speed of rotation at initial contact and progressively as rpm decline. Pad are composed of 25 chemicals to attempt to balance these characteristics.

ABS tends to mitigate things since it limits maximum deceleration giving pads and tires tiny amounts of cooling time.

Many don't fathom that pads can create 2-3 times the HP of the engine since they can stop from 60 mph in 3 seconds once applied.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, this is so funny with all the arguments going on. it's almost like watching a murder trial--only one side is right. the other side is just BS'ing the jury.

on a side note , i brake longer to avoid abrupt stops in case the person in front of me locks 'em up and i get rear-ended because i had to stop suddenly also. and hard braking is also a huge contributor to stop-and-go traffic on the highways.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That I agree with... I just don't think there's a correlation between max temp and brake wear. I'm thinking the wear comes from the act of conversion, which we both agreed are converting the same amount of energy.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong perspective, I don't know... I view the brake pad as having enough friction material to convert a fixed amount of kinetic energy. How hard you brake would than be irrelavent, as at the end of the day, how much energy you converted is what's important, and what dictates wear. So in that case whether you brake from 100 to 0 in 10 seconds or 60 seconds wouldn't matter, because at the end of the day, you converted the same amount of energy in both cases.
In an ideal world, brake wear would be equal. Sadly, we do not live in a real world. Heat is pretty much the bane of most component's existence. Efficiency drops immensely with higher temperatures. And heat is generally not a linear function. With hard braking, you have a much higher impulse ( you convert more energy in a shorter amount of time). This generates a higher max temperature than light braking over a longer time (lower impulse). I do agree the average temperature over a long enough period of time would be equal for both types. With the higher impulse and therefore higher max temperature, the efficiency of the brake pad goes down, therefore introduces more wear because it takes more energy from the pad to convert/transfer the energy to the rotor and eventually to the tires.

All that said, I am an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer. Many of the same concepts apply to both. Air flow is like current, a tank is like a capacitor, voltage is like pressure difference, etc. My basis for this is off of component heating and efficiency, generally from a power transistor standpoint. Heat is heat and efficiency is efficiency, and I am pretty sure they directly correlate.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW, this is a very interesting thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of these posts seem to be making the issue more complicated and more simplistic at the same time. Try thinking of it this way:

Assuming the wear is exactly the same from breaking from 60mph no matter how you choose to brake (btw I dont believe this is the case). There is more time and distance for the friction between the wheel and the road to take effect in slowing the car down (Brakes are not the only thing that slows your car down). This would give the advantage to breaking slower and longer. There are many other factors as well (chemical being among them) but I don't believe any of them will yield faster breaking being better on your pads

Even if the same amount of energy required to stop a car from 60mph is the same, there is not a direct correlation between that and brake pad wear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake hard or Brake long?