OEM Brembos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Correct sir. Run calipers with huge piston areas and the extra pedal travel would be excessive. Especially when trying to overcome the huge rear piston area of the stock front brembo. Like I mentioned, ice skating uphill.

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yes, and then you would run into issues with pedal travel, you'd get to a point where you couldn't push the brake pedal down far enough to get full clamping power

Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I don't understand what your trying to say here...
He is saying if you used the stock 4 piston caliper in the rear, you would need a massive caliper with piston area significantly larger than the stock area to keep the bias correct
I don't see how changing the rear rotor, caliper, mounting brackets, and hardware effects how the ebrake works? To my knowledge the ebrake is a drum style brake...?
The drum brake is incorporated into the inside of the rear rotor IIRC, not sure as I haven't disassembled mine before.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
He is saying if you used the stock 4 piston caliper in the rear, you would need a massive caliper with piston area significantly larger than the stock area to keep the bias correct

The drum brake is incorporated into the inside of the rear rotor IIRC, not sure as I haven't disassembled mine before.
Im not sure what IIRC is, but how does upgrading your rear OEM brakes to a BBK have anything to do with your e-brake?

I just got off the phone with my mechanic at the nissan dealership and he said if i upgraded my brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear) that i wouldnt have a problem with my e-brake.

-sean

Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Red Card Crew

He's making a HUGE assumption on what the OP is asking. Nissan mechanics are hardly the end all for aftermarket product info. Much less a highly technical question like this one.

As far as the E-brake issue is concerned. You are assuming that installing a huge 4 piston caliper on the original rotor where the original 1 or 2 piston caliper resided is going to result in an acceptable front/rear brake bias. What if a much smaller rotor is needed to even attempt to maintain the original frt/rear bias?? Is a rotor with the correct offset and e-brake drum available?

I just got off the phone with my mechanic at the nissan dealership and he said if i upgraded my brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear) that i wouldnt have a problem with my e-brake.

-sean

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-02-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Red Card Crew

I would think you need to figure out what size front caliper/rotor you need to balance out the bais to stock levels.

You "could" use a porportioning valves on the rears. You would have to install them in the actual lines as the porportioning valves are typically inside the MC. So you are limited to reducing the amount of brake force applied to the rears. So one has to question why would one go to the trouble to installing these huge calipers only to limit the amount of force applied to them. Especially if it's reduced to the amount that approaches the stock bias. It would be all eye candy and not much else.

A bigger MC would be the key. I'm not sure if one is available. Maybe something from the newer Q, truck or the sedan that uses the oem 13" or 14" brakes.

Originally Posted by BadBoy06
need a good shop who does fabricating/brackets + proportioning
valve to adjust larger volume of fluid from the larger M/C for
starters

Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
He's making a HUGE assumption on what the OP is asking. Nissan mechanics are hardly the end all for aftermarket product info. Much less a highly technical question like this one.

As far as the E-brake issue is concerned. You are assuming that installing a huge 4 piston caliper on the original rotor where the original 1 or 2 piston caliper resided is going to result in an acceptable front/rear brake bias. What if a much smaller rotor is needed to even attempt to maintain the original frt/rear bias?? Is a rotor with the correct offset and e-brake drum available?

Well no kidding you need a larger rotor for a larger caliper...? I didn’t even think that would be a question brought up, I think we all know that. When I said a BBK, I didn’t mean just the caliper . I completely agree with you on the fact that if you have a smaller rotor and a larger caliper that everything is going to be thrown off, but I figured this would just be common knowledge.

-Sean

Old 04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Well no kidding you need a larger rotor for a larger caliper...? I didn’t even think that would be a question brought up, I think we all know that. When I said a BBK, I didn’t mean just the caliper . I completely agree with you on the fact that if you have a smaller rotor and a larger caliper that everything is going to be thrown off, but I figured this would just be common knowledge.

-Sean
No No No, Jeff is saying a smaller rotor would be needed, not a larger one. A larger rotor would make your bias even worse because the further away from the center of the rotor you apply the force, the stronger the braking torque, so using a smaller rotor would be needed to decrease the braking torque of the rear brakes to try to maintina proper front/rear bias. I really think you need to read up on how a brake system works before making these suggestions because you are going to confuse alot of people with your inaccurate info

Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
No No No, Jeff is saying a smaller rotor would be needed, not a larger one. A larger rotor would make your bias even worse because the further away from the center of the rotor you apply the force, the stronger the braking torque, so using a smaller rotor would be needed to decrease the braking torque of the rear brakes to try to maintina proper front/rear bias. I really think you need to read up on how a brake system works before making these suggestions because you are going to confuse alot of people with your inaccurate info

I dont think my information is inaccurate...except for my first post. I know how a brake system works. I dont think any of us are on the same page at all.

If you order a BBK 6-piston front 4-piston rear you ARE going to need bigger rotor (bigger than OEM) if you guys think that you can use a OEM rotor for lets say a stop tech 6-piston caliper you are nuts...no way it is going to work.

I dont know, now im even confused as to what we are talking about. I will try to sum up what I have been trying to say.

---Factory master brake cyliner - Will work with a aftermarket BBK, but will not be as useful as replacing it with a master brake cylinder that is made for more pistons.

---You will need a larger rotor for a larger caliper end of stoy, but they have to equal each other and balance out. Why would aftermarket BBK come with larger rotors if you could use the OEM smaller ones?

---If you buy a aftermarket BBK it already comes so the front and rear of the car will stop biased and equal to each other. Why would they sell a kit that is dangerous?

---If this guy (who started this thread) could use the OEM front brembo brake for the rear HE WOULD have to buy a kit that would equal out the stopping power of the car for the front.

That is what i have been trying to say...i know that information is correct. If it isnt then i guess im going to feel pretty stupid.

Last edited by Nismo G; 04-02-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I dont think my information is inaccurate...except for my first post. I know how a brake system works. I dont think any of us are on the same page at all.

If you order a BBK 6-piston front 4-piston rear you ARE going to need bigger rotor (bigger than OEM) if you guys think that you can use a OEM rotor for lets say a stop tech 6-piston caliper you are nuts...no way it is going to work.

I dont know now im even confused as to what we are talking about. I will try to sum up what I have been trying to say.

---Factory master brake cyliner - Will work with a aftermarket BBK, but will not be as useful as replacing it with a master brake cylinder that is made for more pistons.

---You will need a larger rotor for a larger caliper end of stoy, but they have to equal each other and balance out. Why would aftermarket BBK come with larger rotors if you could use the OEM smaller ones?

---If you buy a aftermarket BBK it already comes so the front and rear of the car will stop biased and equal to each other. Why would they sell a kit that is dangerous?

---If this guy (who started this thread) could use the OEM front brembo brake for the rear HE WOULD have to buy a kit that would equal out the stopping power of the car.

That is what i have been trying to say...i know that information is correct. If it isnt then i guess im going to feel pretty stupid.
Why are you talking about aftermarket BBK when the OP wants to know about relocating the stock 4piston caliper to the rear. That has nothing to do with aftermarket BBK's because the piston sizing is VERY different. You are going off on a tangent that has nothing to do with this thread anymore

Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Why are you talking about aftermarket BBK when the OP wants to know about relocating the stock 4piston caliper to the rear. That has nothing to do with aftermarket BBK's because the piston sizing is VERY different. You are going off on a tangent that has nothing to do with this thread anymore
That is what i have been talking about this whole time...is an aftermarket BBK! Thats why i was wondering what the fvck jeff was talking about.

In comment to the 4-piston caliper being moved to the rear. It can ben done as long as he has everything to do it, but he would have to buy a kit that would equal out the stopping power of the car for the front. That is what i tried to say in my frist post (as though it was an aftermarket BBK..i was comparing).

-sean

Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I know someone on this site has used 2 OEM front calipers in the rear, and then the same exact calipers in the front. I want to say it was ttrank, but im not sure. I will try to find pictures.

-sean

Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
That is what i have been talking about this whole time...is an aftermarket BBK! Thats why i was wondering what the fvck jeff was talking about.

In comment to the 4-piston caliper being moved to the rear. It can ben done as long as he has everything to do it, but he would have to buy a kit that would equal out the stopping power of the car for the front. That is what i tried to say in my frist post (as though it was an aftermarket BBK..i was comparing).

-sean
The problem is there isn't one available because the pistons would have to be HUGE to keep the same brake bias, and even if you did custom make a kit, the pedal travel required would exceed the amount available, you would basically need to push the brake twice as far if not more to stop the car, which would be limited by the floor. The only other way to make it work is with a custom master cylinder since none are available off the shelf

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
The problem is there isn't one available because the pistons would have to be HUGE to keep the same brake bias, and even if you did custom make a kit, the pedal travel required would exceed the amount available, you would basically need to push the brake twice as far if not more to stop the car, which would be limited by the floor. The only other way to make it work is with a custom master cylinder since none are available off the shelf
Stillen makes a master brake cylinder...dont think it would be powerful enough?

-Sean

Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Stillen makes a master brake cylinder...dont think it would be powerful enough?

-Sean
Nope, not even close

Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Red Card Crew

We are wondering where you are coming from actually

-sean
As said, do you even realize how BIG either the caliper would have to be or the rotor would have to be to maintain the proper brake bias??? It would have to be HUGE. Something that HUGE would result in two things:
1) A massive wheel to accomodate the massive sized rotor
2) A front / rear calipers featuring so much piston area that a BIG master cylinder would be needed.

Don't know how else we can tell ya. Take redlude's advice and do some reading on the subject. We aren't experts either but we seem to have a higher understanding than yourself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM Brembos