Changing Springs on Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Changing Springs on Coilovers

hey all...i've got a question...i'm going to make this as general and all encompassing as possible...is it wise to change the springs from a coilover kit? for instance, say you wanted the spring rate of x brand, but wasn't offered in y brand coilover setup-could you mix and match (same type of course, ei front to front, rear to rear, OEM rear mount location, etc)? if you could do it from different brands, is it safe to assume that it's possible w/in the same brand?

specifically...i have tein basics, and don't really care for the progressive spring. i would like to change it to a linear spring (on all corners), with a higher spring rate than 504/504. any suggestions on the spring? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I would contact Eibach about making you a new spring. I have a number of friends who have done it with their coilovers. As long as you don't go too firm and out of what the strut can take you should be fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Tein does not classify their front springs as progressive and certainly not the rear springs. Technically the front springs are progressive, but I understand why Tein sell's them as linear.

Vs normal progressive springs the tapered front springs have two tricks up their sleave. They only have a small rate spread of 40lbs if that. They do not bind coils to suddenly change rate like most progressive springs.

Basics have a 56lbs up rate limit. If you bent on not running a 560lbs Tapered spring as a direct swap in, you'll need to buy a 65mm ID spring and have Tein also sell you lower spring seats for the Basics that will seat 65mm ID springs vs the 70mm ID seats you have now. Don't be surprised if you run into a wall with Tein being unwilling to sell you the 65mm seats you have to have.

Since Basics don't have adjustable dampning, I would not be so keen to up the spring rates, even if Tein give it's blessing on a 56lbs increase. I'd be more inclined to sell them and move on to a different coilover system.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after doing much needed research and speaking with adam over at Z1, i have decided to just stay where i am with the basics. i need to get used to the car first with "track day wheels/tires," and then see what i need to do to the rest of the suspension or driving style from there. i don't track the car enough yet to know exactly what i need, but i'll get there one day. thank you both for your responses.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Adam is one of the better resellers you can get advice from, glad you spoke with him he's a good man.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by n1cK
after doing much needed research and speaking with adam over at Z1, i have decided to just stay where i am with the basics. i need to get used to the car first with "track day wheels/tires," and then see what i need to do to the rest of the suspension or driving style from there. i don't track the car enough yet to know exactly what i need, but i'll get there one day. thank you both for your responses.

That sounds like a very good plan. Let us know how it goes.