VDC problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to show a friend of mine what my car was doing because I wanted to see if a passenger could feel it as much as the driver could. so we went on the same roads where it acts up going at just moderate speeds. But with him in the car it was perfect. I could never get the slip light to come on. I just don't understand how 210lbs in the passenger seat could make that big of a difference in the VDC behavior. The next day with him out of the car, it went back to acting the way it was before.

I sent this to DTG who is having the same problem and he had a similar experience (won't do it with someone else in the passenger seat).

I don't have any way to try different tires/wheels.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
DTG
Originally Posted by lemmy999
I was going to show a friend of mine what my car was doing because I wanted to see if a passenger could feel it as much as the driver could. so we went on the same roads where it acts up going at just moderate speeds. But with him in the car it was perfect. I could never get the slip light to come on. I just don't understand how 210lbs in the passenger seat could make that big of a difference in the VDC behavior. The next day with him out of the car, it went back to acting the way it was before.

I sent this to DTG who is having the same problem and he had a similar experience (won't do it with someone else in the passenger seat).

I don't have any way to try different tires/wheels.
True, the same thing happened to me.

The car is at the dealership now and I told them that "we cannot replicate the problem" will not be an acceptable answer. I told them to take a look at the VDC and I'm not going to take the car back till it's fixed. For now, I'm OK with driving an '06 loaner sedan till I'm done with this VDC issue.

In terms of tires, I'm now shopping for a set of wheels/tires which was on my plan anyway. If they still come back and say the VDC is fine, then maybe the tires will resolve the issue.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
DTG
Update

Got the car back from the dealer today...

The VDC is not malfunctioning. They checked all codes and said if one of the sensors was bad, it would throw the CEL.

They tightened front and rear sway bars and i took it for another spin. Car seems much tighter now and the VDC did not come on at hard cornering (both left and right).

Also talked to one of the techs and he advised that at 40k miles, the OEM shocks get a little worn and should be replaced with better performance counterparts.... of course, that's all mumbo jumbo!

in any case, I'm going to go forward with wheels/tires and see how she does.

Now, all I need to figure out is the exact setup!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the exact same problem... When I make right turns, the VDC kicks on, and I hear a noise from the front-left.

In my case I just installed new Potenza RE960 on the back, but I still have my Pilot Sport All/Season on the fronts. I measured the treads, and the fronts still have 8/32".

I'm replacing my fronts with Potenzas on saturday, so I'll let you know if that fixes things...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by avs007
I have the exact same problem... When I make right turns, the VDC kicks on, and I hear a noise from the front-left.

In my case I just installed new Potenza RE960 on the back, but I still have my Pilot Sport All/Season on the fronts. I measured the treads, and the fronts still have 8/32".

I'm replacing my fronts with Potenzas on saturday, so I'll let you know if that fixes things...
Are the Potenzas the tires that are non-directional and allows you to swap tires right to left?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't think you can swap the tires on the same axle. They should be unidirectional.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by lemmy999
Are the Potenzas the tires that are non-directional and allows you to swap tires right to left?
No.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

Lou