reviews on tein basics needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reviews on tein basics needed

sup ya'll...

for those of you with tein basics.. share your review on em. i know some of you had it for a while now so it would be cool to see how you like em after some time of wear and tear.

im wondering if its worth puttin on in the long run.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
love them. my only other choice would be the hks rs coils.

they're definitely and noticeably stiffer than my old setup - but i like it that way. it's not so stiff that i can't handle it (although the girls hate it...LOL), but enough that i can feel it.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Was not my first choice as well.. If HKS RS Coils were avliable I would've bought them.

Went with TEIN Basics for
1. Price
2. Adjustability
3. Ride quality

Although not the BEST coilover. IMO its a bag for the buck.. you get the ride height adjust ment along with some damper settings for around $700-$900. They last a good amount of time.. (I dont know anyone thats blown a shock from TEIN Basics - keeping in mind the majority of the guys wont by basics to track). The only issue I've heard of is a squeaking sound later on down the line.. for $800 you cant complain.. The ride is VERY VERY similar to HKS Coils / OEM Sports Suspension and stiffer then the regular non-sport suspension

If you do not plan on doing hardcore tracking this is a bang for the buck.. (But if I had to do lets say a BBK job and some new HKS RS came up.. I'm grabing them =P)

- Eric

Old 07-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool.. i might pick up a set.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is the text of a performance minded review from a Tein Basic owner on my350.

READ THIS FIRST. The following owner had a 2003 350Z, it should be understood that 2003-2004 oem Z's have oem shocks that leave a lot to be desired ride quality wise. His oem shocks are widely known for bounce and freeway porposing issues, I know, I had the same oem suspension installed on my sedan at one time. So, it is from that starting point that the reviewer below has come from.

Originally Posted by zillinois
Got a chance to drive more today.

1. You can initiate a corner at a higher rate of speed than oem. Push is gone, yeah!!

2. Weight transfer is crisper and faster than oem with less body movement. Upon hard acceleration out of corners and on straights, the car squats a very small amount and hooks up in a very predictable manner.

3. Driving normally, very little difference in dampening is felt. But the car recovers more quickly from bumps. The damping in corners is much better than oem. Corrections are easy and quiet (quiet as in steering input).

4. You can accelerate out of the corner sooner. Errors at the apex or after turn-in no longer result in drastic snap to oversteer but respond to the steering input. The feedback and adjustment cycle is completed quickly with much less input and body movement than oem. If you enjoy sliding around corners, as I do sometimes, you will really enjoy the basics.

5. The Basic also holds the road better in uneven corners. The factory setup would tend to "feel" squirrely on uneven corners and the basics keep the tires on the ground better.

The only thing I don't like is that it such a subtle improvement. It only helps were it matters. But, I think it was money well spent. A definite improvement over oem in every respect. Problem 2; Now I have to learn how to exit a corner faster. :-(

So the basics were perfect for me. I have my first "real" track day in one week. So, I'll report back then. BTW, I have a 1" drop all the way around. Also, I've done some Autox with the factory setup and I can't wait to try this out.